Wisper Brand New Wisper 705se Grinding Brakes

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
Really? The arrow is pointing the right way
That arrow is on the caliper. Look at what the caliper is attached to, that is what I believe is what wheeliepete meant, I do believe.
The mounting adapter ! A strong possibility....
I would not have noticed, he must have eyes like a Hawk!
regards
Andy

01wellsd

Pedelecer
Apr 30, 2020
Bristol
That arrow is on the caliper. Look at what the caliper is attached to, that is what I believe is what wheeliepete meant, I do believe.
The mounting adapter ! A strong possibility....
I would not have noticed, he must have eyes like a Hawk!
regards
Andy
Nope, that arrow is definitely on the carrier.
The caliper is mounted to it behind the washers

• Agree
Reactions: Nealh

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
Nope, that arrow is definitely on the carrier.
The caliper is mounted to it behind the washers
Is the marking possibly misleading? Does the Disk Pad cover the right area on the disk?
Just a thought.
Andy

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The calliper mount/adapter has the arrow on it and clearly points the correct way.

01wellsd

Pedelecer
Apr 30, 2020
Bristol
New Update (For anyone who still cares!) :p

The grinding noise from the front brakes is back, so I'm thinking it is more than just a rotor.

Time to let David and Claude from Wisper take over!

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
New Update (For anyone who still cares!) :p

The grinding noise from the front brakes is back, so I'm thinking it is more than just a rotor.

Time to let David and Claude from Wisper take over!
Did you try unbolting the caliper tie it up and see if the noise went away ?
Also did you check the rotor wasn't rubbing the inside of the fork ?

Watching the short video's we can only guess, it's so much harder when the bike is not in front of you to diagnose.

Reactions: Andy-Mat

01wellsd

Pedelecer
Apr 30, 2020
Bristol
Did you try unbolting the caliper tie it up and see if the noise went away ?
Also did you check the rotor wasn't rubbing the inside of the fork ?

Watching the short video's we can only guess, it's so much harder when the bike is not in front of you to diagnose.

I checked that the rotor wasn't touching any part of the bike (fork or calliper) but only whilst on a repair stand. Is it possible that with a riders weight on it, and the force exerted by braking, the forks could be flexing a little and causing the rotor to touch somewhere?

When on the stand the noise isn't apparent.

Upon first setting off, when the brakes are cold, the noise is almost non existent, when they reach normal operating temperature it comes back, and when going down a large hill (hot brakes!) it goes again until they cool off a bit. Then when getting back home you can make the noise happen as I did in the videos by pushing the bike (until they have cooled again.)

Thanks for taking the time to try and help, and I do appreciate that its difficult without physically seeing it.
I used to work for Audi and the amount of times I was asked to diagnose somebody's car over the phone was unbelievable! It was always followed by "well why don't you know what's wrong with it!"

Reactions: Pedant peddler

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
I checked that the rotor wasn't touching any part of the bike (fork or calliper) but only whilst on a repair stand. Is it possible that with a riders weight on it, and the force exerted by braking, the forks could be flexing a little and causing the rotor to touch somewhere?

When on the stand the noise isn't apparent.

Upon first setting off, when the brakes are cold, the noise is almost non existent, when they reach normal operating temperature it comes back, and when going down a large hill (hot brakes!) it goes again until they cool off a bit. Then when getting back home you can make the noise happen as I did in the videos by pushing the bike (until they have cooled again.)

Thanks for taking the time to try and help, and I do appreciate that its difficult without physically seeing it.
I used to work for Audi and the amount of times I was asked to diagnose somebody's car over the phone was unbelievable! It was always followed by "well why don't you know what's wrong with it!"
Hi, how's it going? Have you managed to solve the issue?

All the best, David

01wellsd

Pedelecer
Apr 30, 2020
Bristol
Hi, how's it going? Have you managed to solve the issue?

All the best, David
Hi David.
I'm good thanks, how are you and the team?

The last I heard was that Adrian was sending out a new rotor and set of pads.
He believed that the brakes may not have been set up properly by the dealer.
I am a little sceptical as I have put new pads and a rotor on myself, then had the brakes set up by my local bike shop and the noise still came back after some distance.

Cheers,

Dan

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Hi David.
I'm good thanks, how are you and the team?

The last I heard was that Adrian was sending out a new rotor and set of pads.
He believed that the brakes may not have been set up properly by the dealer.
I am a little sceptical as I have put new pads and a rotor on myself, then had the brakes set up by my local bike shop and the noise still came back after some distance.

Cheers,

Dan
Hi Dan, please keep me in the loop on this, it may mean the anchor points on the forks were not properly faced. If that's the case we will need to get the bike into the dealer so this work can be done.

All the best, David

01wellsd

Pedelecer
Apr 30, 2020
Bristol
I have just had a new set of brake components delivered from Wisper (front and rear discs and pads)

Thank you for David and the guys for sorting that out.

Is there anything I should be doing before fitting them? I’m fine with doing car brakes, but not sure if there is anything different when it comes to bikes

Reactions: Wisper Bikes

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
I have just had a new set of brake components delivered from Wisper (front and rear discs and pads)

Thank you for David and the guys for sorting that out.

Is there anything I should be doing before fitting them? I’m fine with doing car brakes, but not sure if there is anything different when it comes to bikes
Hi, it’s pretty straightforward but if you need assistance please call Claud on Monday, please say I asked you to call.

Two pointers

1. Never pull on the brake lever until they have been fitted with the disc between the pads.

2. The disc should sit in the middle and completely parallel to the pads. If they are at an angle to the pads the brakes will not be effective and you will wear the pads very quickly. This will also cause the “graunching” noise.

All the best, David

Reactions: 01wellsd

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Once fitted loosen off the calliper bolts a half turn or until the calliper is just loose, apply the brake to centralise/align the pads to the disc. Tighten calliper bolts and release the brake.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
I've had that problem several times, always with those wavy discs. I build a bike, then find that the waves touch the top of the caliper. I solve it either with a different caliper adaptor, inverting the adaptor or by using washers as spacers. If it's close, it comes back when you use the brake because the disc heats up and expands, so is able to touch again.

What's weird is that it's only this one that's doing it and not all the other 705SEs. Also, how was it OK for a hundred miles, then started touching. The disc can't grow by itself, neither can the caliper mysteriously move closer to the disc by itself.

Did anybody check another 705SE to see the difference. Hello! This is an older model with side-mount caliper, but look at the adaptor. Maybe time to check a stock one.

Last edited:

01wellsd

Pedelecer
Apr 30, 2020
Bristol
UPDATE

New discs and pads fitted, supplied by Wisper. So far after about 30 miles, all sounds like it did when the bike was first delivered.

Many thanks to David and the team who looked after me :)

Reactions: Wisper Bikes