Breaking in a new Li Battery deep or shallow cycle?

OneWayTraffic

Pedelecer
Apr 7, 2009
I read with interest the Wisper manual where it stated quite clearly that the first three charges should be until cutout to get the best battery performance. Yet the common wisdom for LiFePO4 (esp Ping packs) is to run the first few cycles as shallow as possible and leave it on the charger for long periods to balance. Why the difference?

I can understand why one wouldn't want to deep cycle a LiFePO4 pack, but the reason for doing so with a LiMn Wisper battery eludes me entirely.

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
Deep discharge of my Wisper battery was inpractical as I didn't want it running out halfway home, I just used it as normal right from the start and about 400 charges later it's still fine.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
To condition a li-ion battery including polymer types, they need to be fully charged and then discharged as completely as possible on the bike for two and possibly three times. This fully equalises the charge distribution within each cell and achieves the maximum possible capacity, the BMS of course looking after the cells balance.

In this respect they are no different from NiMh which also need initial conditioning to achieve nominal capacity, though NiMh continue to minutely gain capacity over approximately the first 100 charges, something li-ion types don't do.

frank9755

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 19, 2007
London
Ping was recommending full discharge on the first three cycles when i got my first battery from him last year

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Charge

I read with interest the Wisper manual where it stated quite clearly that the first three charges should be until cutout to get the best battery performance. Yet the common wisdom for LiFePO4 (esp Ping packs) is to run the first few cycles as shallow as possible and leave it on the charger for long periods to balance. Why the difference?

I can understand why one wouldn't want to deep cycle a LiFePO4 pack, but the reason for doing so with a LiMn Wisper battery eludes me entirely.
Hi OWT

As usual Flecc is spot on. It simply helps balance the cells especially after the battery has been left for a few weeks since the initial charge was made. The flatter you run the battery the better but the long charge is the most important part of the process.

All the best and enjoy your Wisper.

Best regards David

Diesel City Tracker

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 20, 2008
Cambridgeshire PE7 1
Hi, PowaCycle recommends fully charging and discharging the Lithium Polymer battery for my Lynx, 8-10 times. Is this then strictly necessary, or will 3 times be enough? It's a pain trying to arrange trips to fully discharge the battery without undue pedalling without power - happened to me at Presteigne when I left the Kart track and finished up pedalling 4 miles in hilly terrain.. Not recommended,
Rob

Last edited: