Brexit, for once some facts.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
early days, Tillson.
the day of reckoning is the next general election.
I hope the tories are not going to form the next government. Which other party is going to take the UK out if not the tories?

Last edited:

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
I cannot see any judge allowing a prosecution for political beliefs.
Neither would the government or opposition.
They would all be quaking in their boots!

• Agree
Reactions: tillson

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
No,

1 EU 'investment' was our own money. We gave them £3, they gave us £1 back but would not let us spend it on what we wanted.
2 Uncontrolled EU immigration put pressure on houses, schools, hospitals, surgeries, jobs and roads. Probably more noticeable in a small country.
Anyway, despite your complaints, you appear to have accepted the reality of Brexit, just as I would have accepted a Remain vote.
Democracy
Except of course that the EU rules of residency specifically preclude a person becoming resident in another country and becoming a burden on that state, to gain residence the have to prove after three months that they are in work and not being a burden on the welfare system or the NHS, and in fact our own UK rules do that to, but the dear old government has lost control of the number of people in the country and doesn't bother to check if they are valid EU citizens does it? if it bothered it could insist that they return home.
So that rather ruins your argument, doesn't it?
I have accepted the reality of the Brexit vote, just warning you of the sort of needless consequences you are forcing on the whole population.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
I cannot see any judge allowing a prosecution for political beliefs.
Neither would the government or opposition.
They would all be quaking in their boots!
Got to agree there if it was possible to prosecute a politician for lying we would never have a Government again!

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
It was inevitable that this vote was going to split the country. I wonder if the 4% margin had voted to remain would that also have split the country?
If you were sitting in my place with 4 businesses to consider,all primarliy sourced from dollar quoted currencies,ok my hedging will last for some time but after that 11000 part numbers will have to be requoted,new catalogue pages,new e-bay and website updates,its weeks of work for my team.
Already Woosh and Kalkhoff have put up their prices,I suspect others will follow shortly,most bikes have Shimano somewhere and that is a dollar sourced part.
Its all very well saying 'we are all leavers just get on with it' but the implications of ticking that Out box are very far ranging. In 2017,when the currency hedging starts running out,you will see 10% plus price rises across most products,most businesses are dealing with the effects of the new minimum wage and the compulsory Workplace pensions,so there wont be any wage rises or pension increases to mitigate these higher costs,the poor will suffer.
I cannot believe Davis trying to kick out the EE migrants,50% of care homes and home care are staffed by migrants,the farms will not be able to harvest the crops,hotels and restaurants are pretty much 100% EE staff.
Brits dont want to do these jobs any more,the country will fall apart without these EE workers.
KudosDave

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
David Davis lives in cloud cookoo land.
If there is a way out of this mess, somebody would have posted it here.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
To me leaving the EU could be compared to say giving up smoking or drinking or drugs. You know that it will be painful and extremely difficult, but in the long run it will be much more beneficial than taking the easy option and carrying on in the same unhealthy way
On what basis? The only things the EU have done that effect you have been to your benefit, if you take the trouble to check you will find that is true
That includes the extended holidays you enjoy, limited working hours, environmental improvements, health and safety, etc.,etc.
Tell me just what have you got to complain about that the EU is responsible for?
Are those the "unhealthy things" you want to give up? Being paid as a casual labourer at the factory gate with no real job, no security, no future?

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Some people are natural losers. They always perceive that they have lost and can never see good in anything and invariably they do lose out. They view change with suspicion and fear and never optimism and no matter what the outcome, their perception is that they have lost.
That is very unfair,I have spent my life trying to win and have been quite succesful in doing so,I am of the 'its not the taking part its the winning that matters'
I try to see the others arguments and like most businessman look at both the upsides and downsides of any deal,I could understand the argument that breaking away from the undemocratic EU law making machine would be a good thing. I could understand that we can make deals with the rest of the world without the restrictions that the EU places upon us.
But you have to balance that against the damage that we do to ourselves of breaking away from the EU club,especially at a time when our economy is still recovering from the 2008 banking fiasco and the pressure on the £.
Cameron caused all this by thinking that he could eliminate the Euro Sceptics in the Tory Party by saying look the people have spoken to be part of the EU and now shut up. Unfortunately he was certain he would win and didnt think about the damage if he loses,now the whole country is split,not just the Tory Party and we all have to accept the consequences.
There are those in the UK who are,to date,pretty much unaffected by the Brexit vote and maybe not for some time. But there are others who are immediately affected and not unreasonably want rid od it. I say that the former may appreciate the views of the latter when it starts to affect us all.
KudosDave

Reactions: flecc and trex
Mar 9, 2016
It was inevitable that this vote was going to split the country. I wonder if the 4% margin had voted to remain would that also have split the country?
If you were sitting in my place with 4 businesses to consider,all primarliy sourced from dollar quoted currencies,ok my hedging will last for some time but after that 11000 part numbers will have to be requoted,new catalogue pages,new e-bay and website updates,its weeks of work for my team.
Already Woosh and Kalkhoff have put up their prices,I suspect others will follow shortly,most bikes have Shimano somewhere and that is a dollar sourced part.
Its all very well saying 'we are all leavers just get on with it' but the implications of ticking that Out box are very far ranging. In 2017,when the currency hedging starts running out,you will see 10% plus price rises across most products,most businesses are dealing with the effects of the new minimum wage and the compulsory Workplace pensions,so there wont be any wage rises or pension increases to mitigate these higher costs,the poor will suffer.
I cannot believe Davis trying to kick out the EE migrants,50% of care homes and home care are staffed by migrants,the farms will not be able to harvest the crops,hotels and restaurants are pretty much 100% EE staff.
Brits dont want to do these jobs any more,the country will fall apart without these EE workers.
KudosDave
Dave please don't think I,m not sympathetic. I am. Things have got more expensive from pound dropping , but at risk of repeating myself( something we all seem to be getting good att just adk yourself exactly what has caused it ? There has not been a single rate, tarif, tax or policy change anywhere. So blaming brexit is wrong. What has caused pound to drop is a combination of Osbourne's appalling campaign, Camerons lack of planning, hysteria.panic in the markets( exaggerated by fear campaign) and many peoples speculating this would be the effect. Brexit has not started. Blaming brexit is exactly what Osbourne wanted folk to do before referendum.All markets are confidence based. Osbourne ruined that cofidemce. You are feeling those effects, not Brexit.
I believe influx of migrants has actually increased. The ftse 100 is way higher than I,d expected. Look at its performance over past 3 years and the last months variations are normal fluctuations. Same with ftse 250.

Didn't like mentioning before but I,m just waiting payment for a land sale in France.I bought land at 1.46 euro to pound. Selling I,m getting 1.19 to the pound.In effect I,m making 19% purely on exchange rate changes. ( land held its value in euros)
So there are winners and loosers, I,ve been lucky. But I,m not crediting it to Brexit. .

Reactions: paul20v

gray198

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 4, 2012
On what basis? The only things the EU have done that effect you have been to your benefit, if you take the trouble to check you will find that is true
That includes the extended holidays you enjoy, limited working hours, environmental improvements, health and safety, etc.,etc.
Tell me just what have you got to complain about that the EU is responsible for?
Are those the "unhealthy things" you want to give up? Being paid as a casual labourer at the factory gate with no real job, no security, no future?

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk
OG can you not see that the EU is going to implode. I was watching the Mep's debating what to do after Brexit. Two things struck me. The lack of consensus about action required and the general dislike of Juncker. This man seems to be universally disliked and mistrusted yet he has a lot of power over our lives and we can't vote him out. Cameron did all he could to stop him getting that position but was overruled by everyone else. The EU misjudged the British people and offered Cameron even less than the pathetic demands he made. It seems like it was a take it or leave it deal, the British will never vote out. Well they got a shock. I don't want to be ruled by this bunch and neither does the majority who voted. Let's stop whining and get some positivity going

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
flud, two things that make the exchange rate of the Pound moving up or down: balance of international payments and economic sentiment. Pre announcement of the referendum, the current account was already negative but less than -3%, the economic sentiment was that the UK did better than all other EU countries, so the Pound was a little stronger than its natural equilibrium (about $1.47). Since the referendum, the current account dives to -6% to -7% and the economic sentiment expects worse to come. The Pound tanks for those two reasons. Short term, only the shelving of brexit can change the sentiment and revive the Pound.
The cheap Pound is going to make imports expensive and reduce consumption of imported goods while stimulate sale of our best assets (biggest and best companies with earnings in $, nobody is interested in buying properties at the moment). The Pound will perk up a little when the deficit of the current account starts to go down.

Last edited:
  • Agree

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
It seems the British Standards Institute is ignoring Brexit and wishes for us to set our own regulations:

New EU legislation is scheduled to be introduced from the 1st September 2016, which lays the framework for all door sets to be CE marked according to EU regulations. Regardless of Britain’s vote to leave the European Union, the British Standards Institute has decided to harmonise their standards with those of our foreign counterparts, meaning that each door set will have to be pre-selected, grouped and CE marked before it can be sold by the supplier.

Explanation of a Door Set:

Official Ironmongery Industry policy is currently that a door set encompasses a door plus all relevant ironmongery, including hinges, handles, pulls and closers.

I'm not connected with this industry but had my attention drawn to this by one of the suppliers.

Reactions: trex

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
early days, Tillson.
the day of reckoning is the next general election.
I hope the tories are not going to form the next government. Which other party is going to take the UK out if not the tories?
The tories will take us out, but they won't need another election victory to do it, it will be largely done and dusted by then.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
OG can you not see that the EU is going to implode. I was watching the Mep's debating what to do after Brexit. Two things struck me. The lack of consensus about action required and the general dislike of Juncker. This man seems to be universally disliked and mistrusted yet he has a lot of power over our lives and we can't vote him out. Cameron did all he could to stop him getting that position but was overruled by everyone else. The EU misjudged the British people and offered Cameron even less than the pathetic demands he made. It seems like it was a take it or leave it deal, the British will never vote out. Well they got a shock. I don't want to be ruled by this bunch and neither does the majority who voted. Let's stop whining and get some positivity going
Oh but I am being positive! lets just drop out tomorrow and start the experiment! that's what you wanted and I can't wait to see how it all works out!
As to the EU imploding, about as much chance as we have of being successful outside the EU

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
BBC news was interesting tonight,they had a post Brexit vote report from Hartlepool...the people voted strongly leave,they all said that they voted leave because they thought that would generate more jobs,more houses,opening of a closed hospital.....I just don't understand how Brexit is going to achieve what they want?
Do others think that Brexit will give the people of Hartlepool what they want.

Amanda Rudd,Home Secretary,said that she was discussing with the councils how the 20,000 Syrian refugees that we have committed to are to be distributed around the UK....Kent will take 600,Sussex 500 ......
How does that balance with cutting back on EE migrants.
KudosDave

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Dave please don't think I,m not sympathetic. I am. Things have got more expensive from pound dropping , but at risk of repeating myself( something we all seem to be getting good att just adk yourself exactly what has caused it ? There has not been a single rate, tarif, tax or policy change anywhere. So blaming brexit is wrong. What has caused pound to drop is a combination of Osbourne's appalling campaign, Camerons lack of planning, hysteria.panic in the markets( exaggerated by fear campaign) and many peoples speculating this would be the effect. Brexit has not started. Blaming brexit is exactly what Osbourne wanted folk to do before referendum.All markets are confidence based. Osbourne ruined that cofidemce. You are feeling those effects, not Brexit.
I believe influx of migrants has actually increased. The ftse 100 is way higher than I,d expected. Look at its performance over past 3 years and the last months variations are normal fluctuations. Same with ftse 250.

Didn't like mentioning before but I,m just waiting payment for a land sale in France.I bought land at 1.46 euro to pound. Selling I,m getting 1.19 to the pound.In effect I,m making 19% purely on exchange rate changes. ( land held its value in euros)
So there are winners and loosers, I,ve been lucky. But I,m not crediting it to Brexit. .
Effects from Brexit will come out of the system sooner and later....I hope that it will be positive for us all.
The immediate effect is the low £, but the real problem is uncertainty,it has made the world nervous,it does not need a tarif change or rate change just the shock and uncertainty has done the damage.
Appointing lightweights like Boris and Davis does nothing to remove the uncertainty,the markets still don't think that May is serious about Brexit but maybe she is,hence the uncertainty.
Ironically if the £ sits at 1.30 for long enough and looks like the new rate,then UK companies will increase prices by 5-10% ,they have the perfect opportunity to blame Brexit.
KudosDave

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
We cannot trigger Article 50 until October at the earliest.
The lawyers Mishcon de Reya have just filed an application questioning the method by which we trigger Article 50. The case cannot be heard in the courts until October and there will certainly be an appeal,whatever the decision.
The governments lawyers have argued that Theresa May can trigger Article 50 by using the royal prerogative,last used in the 1600's,but Mischon de Reya have pointed out that the 1972 European Communites Act,the Act that took us into the EU in the first place can only be repealed by an act of Parliament...we all know,including Theresa May,that parliament has at least 450 remainers,so any vote to repeal the act will be voted down,she has to use the route of the royal prerogative,but even using that route will be challenged by the courts.
I am not a lawyer,perhaps someone can advise what happens after the court hearing in October,I am told that because we are still part of the EU,ultimately that is the highest court...it seems somewhat strange that the mechanism for us deciding to leave the EU,could be decided by the EU itself.
KudosDave

Advertisers