Brexit, for once some facts.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Our ex-foreign secretary is so good at diplomacy and getting on with people...

Theresa May calls on Boris Johnson to say sorry for burqa remarks
Prime minister supports Tory chairman in seeking apology for comments about Muslims

Reactions: robdon

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Just to cheer you all up, yesterday I signed the document for my first HLM (translated literally: habitat with moderate rent). The savings in rent mean I could buy a brand new pedelec every year! In real world terms it will mean I will actually be able to buy train or bus tickets to visit my sons for the first time in 6 years...

For Z: yes, I obtained it thanks to help from the old boys (actually girls) network as is normal in corrupt southern Europe. My GF used to play handball with the lady from social services... My chances of getting one without some help were 1 in 340.

The same day I got the new apartment notification letter in the mailbox, in another letter I was offered another apartment for 60€ a month cheaper and closer to work... Maybe that is a faint glimmer at the end of the tunnel? Or WW3 is imminent... :eek: The more expansive one has a nicer view :D

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Here's a Poll from the Daily Mail

Interesting, the expected impatience factor has stepped in

"Right now I no longer care?
Then they deserve whatever fate has in store for them, don't they?

It will be interesting to see how long that attitude lasts, and how few remember they expressed that view when the going gets tough.

And I wonder how many noticed if they were also being asked if they care when? for after all how can you both want to "Get it over with" and "not care when" at the same time?

That could be construed as saying you can cancel Brexit for all we care, it is hardly a ringing endorsement for or against it is it?

This should in fact strengthen the case that there is unlikely to be a massive negative reaction if (highly unlikely of course) someone had the guts to Cancel Brexit.
Indifference on the part of the voters could be the deciding factor.

The moral?
"Will no one save us from this troublesome Brexit?"

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: robdon and oyster

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
"Right now I no longer care?
Ask a casualty or someone in acute, severe pain what they want done? I strongly suspect many will say similarly that they don't care, just get them out (of the car/building/whatever) and stop the pain.

Ask again a few months or years down the line, you will get the same people openly admitting that was what they felt, and quite likely said, but of course they didn't mean it.

Do you see a subtle, slight parallel?

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Ask a casualty or someone in acute, severe pain what they want done? I strongly suspect many will say similarly that they don't care, just get them out (of the car/building/whatever) and stop the pain.

Ask again a few months or years down the line, you will get the same people openly admitting that was what they felt, and quite likely said, but of course they didn't mean it.

Do you see a subtle, slight parallel?
Indeed I do!

• :D
Reactions: robdon and oyster

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
sensible tactic?
by allowing the UK to extend the transition period to as long as it needs to conclude a free trade deal.
this comment is from a Bloomberg contributor:

Perhaps EU governments have come to think Britain is more trouble than it’s worth, and would now prefer it to go. In that case, they ought to say so – and push for an orderly Brexit, which would serve their interests as well as Britain’s. They could do this by offering non-voting membership of the single market, with all its rights and obligations, for as long as it takes to arrange a limited free-trade agreement of the sort that Europe has reached with other non-EU countries.

It isn’t in Barnier's power to make this strategic choice. Either course would require clear direction and unanimous backing from the EU’s top political leadership. As appealing as it might be to let the U.K. twist in the wind, Europe should decide what it wants and press for it.

https://www.bloomberg.com/view/articles/2018-08-06/europe-should-help-u-k-to-cancel-brexit

• Informative
Reactions: oldgroaner

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
sensible tactic?
by allowing the UK to extend the transition period to as long as it needs to conclude a free trade deal.
this comment is from a Bloomberg contributor:

Perhaps EU governments have come to think Britain is more trouble than it’s worth, and would now prefer it to go. In that case, they ought to say so – and push for an orderly Brexit, which would serve their interests as well as Britain’s. They could do this by offering non-voting membership of the single market, with all its rights and obligations, for as long as it takes to arrange a limited free-trade agreement of the sort that Europe has reached with other non-EU countries.

It isn’t in Barnier's power to make this strategic choice. Either course would require clear direction and unanimous backing from the EU’s top political leadership. As appealing as it might be to let the U.K. twist in the wind, Europe should decide what it wants and press for it.

https://www.bloomberg.com/view/articles/2018-08-06/europe-should-help-u-k-to-cancel-brexit
That's all very well, but the EU has only to wait and then when it decides the time and conditions are right, it will then dictate exactly what the sequence and consequences of Brexit are, as they hold all the cards that matter.

This has been obvious to all but the Brexit Voters all along.
"Softly, sofly, catchee Brexit Monkee!" is their approach.

Exactly what I would do in their position, and that latest Poll result must be music to their ears!

• Agree
Reactions: oldtom and robdon

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
That's all very well, but the EU has only to wait and then when it decides the time and conditions are right, it will then dictate exactly what the sequence and consequences of Brexit are, as they hold all the cards that matter.

Exactly what I would do in their position, and that latest Poll result must be music to their ears!
Rubbish.

• :D

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk

the disruption is the main element of immediate cost, it's more or less the same at either side of the Channel, the UK may collect a bit more duty from goods purchased from EU producers but have a little more expenses to cope with. That's the main reason for the proposal to extend the transition to as long as it is needed for an FTA to be signed, sealed and delivered.
As far as the battle for heart and mind of UK voters, the main consideration must be that about 70% of the tory membership want brexit, they choose the government, hence have the power of decision on what brexit we are going to have. That's 70,000 people, two out of three of this group are in my age group, over 65. They decide the immediate future of the UK.
Try to change the mind of those 70,000 or wait for two thirds of them to die.

• Informative

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
the disruption is the main element of immediate cost, it's more or less the same at either side of the Channel, the UK may collect a bit more duty from goods purchased from EU producers but have a little more expenses to cope with. That's the main reason for the proposal to extend the transition to as long as it is needed for an FTA to be signed, sealed and delivered.
As far as the battle for heart and mind of UK voters, the main consideration must be that about 70% of the tory membership want brexit, they choose the government, hence have the power of decision on what brexit we are going to have. That's 70,000 people, two out of three of this group are in my age group, over 65. They decide the immediate future of the UK.
Try to change the mind of those 70,000 or wait for two thirds of them to die.
Not quite right is it?
The EU will decide what kind of Brexit we have.
And in the long run will absorb the UK with it's wings well and truly clipped.
Whatever the ancient Tory cabbages think

Last edited:

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
Not quite right is it?
The EU will decide what kind of Brexit we have.
And in the long run will absorb the UK
Doing it again OG... We will decide whether or not Brexit is a success in next 10 years. Don't forget G Bush Juniors thoughts on France and EU in general..
"The French don't have a word for entrepreneur"..
Only a bit wrong but he has a point.

• Disagree

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Doing it again OG... We will decide whether or not Brexit is a success in next 10 years. Don't forget G Bush Juniors thoughts on France and EU in general..
"The French don't have a word for entrepreneur"..
Only a bit wrong but he has a point.
Changing the discussion again?you do have a habit don't you? I stated that the EU would decide what kind of Brexit we would get, and frankly we will not be the arbiters of our own fate, what has that to do with the next 10 years?
Remember that Poll? the majority don't care what happens they are bored with the whole shambles, the majority of people are running out of patience already.
I can't see Joe public waiting 10 years for the Brexit promises to come true, can you?

You aren't seriously proposing that somehow we are going to completely change our ways, become a second Germany are you?
Because that is what we need , and there isn't a snowflake in hell's chance of that happening.

As for the Bush dynasty, no one in their right minds regards them as being a role model , merely a bottom limit on stupidity that is to be avoided.
We are headed downhill at a rate of knots after we leave, we have to hope the EU will take pity on us and grant a favourable deal rather than see us founder.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Not quite. Yes they choose their MPs, but their MPs are mostly remainers, so they don't really get to choose the parliamentary outcome. At least half the present Tory and Labour MPs would have to be deselected to get a Leaver House of Commons.

But then they'd still be up against the House of Lords, and they can't be deselected.

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
Changing the discussion again?you do have a habit don't you? I stated that the EU would decide what kind of Brexit we would get, and frankly we will not be the arbiters of our own fate, what has that to do with the next 10 years?
Remember that Poll? the majority don't care what happens they are bored with the whole shambles, the majority of people are running out of patience already.
I can't see Joe public waiting 10 years for the Brexit promises to come true, can you?

You aren't seriously proposing that somehow we are going to completely change our ways, become a second Germany are you?
Because that is what we need , and there isn't a snowflake in hell's chance of that happening.

As for the Bush dynasty, no one in their right minds regards them as being a role model , merely a bottom limit on stupidity that is to be avoided.
We are headed downhill at a rate of knots after we leave, we have to hope the EU will take pity on us and grant a favourable deal rather than see us founder.
You, ve not had your arguing medication yet have you OG. Get it taken.
Nobody in their right mind would hold up Bush as an example... (??????) Thought his entrepreneur comment was funny and almost appropriate. He did say it.
By your admission your comments about Brexit are pointless. If we make a good job of post Brexit it's irrelevant. So what if idiots in EU end up causing a no deal, Euro is doomed and EU will likely follow. They, ll be begging for our divorce money. As PH said post Brexit the major economies in EU will be chasing deals with us. Stiffen that top lip man. Stop drivelling. Stupid boy.
EU has actually got bigger problems to deal with than UK... Its very survival is being fought for... (read local News about Italy)
https://www.theguardian.com/business/2018/may/20/italys-policies-make-sense-its-eurozone-rules-that-are-absurd
Only a matter of time OG.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: tommie

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
You really should indicate whether you are joking, or simply writing your usual nonsense
The EU don't have to beg for our divorce money, we have no choice but to pay up
Still it was a good joke you're saying the UK will profit from brexit
You, ve not had your arguing medication yet have you OG. Get it taken.
Nobody in their right mind would hold up Bush as an example... (??????) Thought his entrepreneur comment was funny and almost appropriate. He did say it.
By your admission your comments about Brexit are pointless. If we make a good job of post Brexit it's irrelevant. So what if idiots in EU end up causing a no deal, Euro is doomed and EU will likely follow. They, ll be begging for our divorce money. As PH said post Brexit the major economies in EU will be chasing deals with us. Stiffen that top lip man. Stop drivelling. Stupid boy.
EU has actually got bigger problems to deal with than UK... Its very survival is being fought for... (read local News about Italy)
https://www.theguardian.com/business/2018/may/20/italys-policies-make-sense-its-eurozone-rules-that-are-absurd
Only a matter of time OG.
Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

Advertisers