Brexit, for once some facts.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Latest from Reuters tonight
"

May had asked to address her divided party's powerful "1922 Committee" amid persistent criticism from within her party which has pushed Britain's sterling currency down to a seven-week low.

But, her arrival was greeted with cheers and some of those who heard her speak said it had gone well, and that the party was united behind her.

Another said: "It was a good meeting."

"There is an appetite among the majority of the party to pull together because the risks are too high."

Many business leaders and investors fear politics could scupper an agreement, thrusting the world's fifth largest economy into a "no-deal" Brexit they say would spook markets and clog up the arteries of trade.

May has angered both supporters of Brexit and pro-EU lawmakers since failing to clinch a deal at an EU summit last week by raising the possibility of extending a post-Brexit transition period to help ease the deadlocked negotiations.

An Ipsos MORI poll on Wednesday showed a record 78 percent of voters lacked confidence in May to get a good deal from Brussels, compared to 70 percent in September.

"And yet, the public don’t put all the blame at her door – and nor is there much evidence that they would have much more confidence in anyone else," said Gideon Skinner, Head of Political Research at Ipsos MORI

Many Conservative Party lawmakers are wary of toppling a leader on the eve of Britain’s most significant political and economic move since World War Two. Many also fear an election could bring the opposition Labour Party into power.
"Some newspapers carrying unusually bloodthirsty language by unidentified opponents. One said May was entering "the killing zone", while another said May should "bring her own noose" to the 1922 committee meeting."
An effective scam to drum up support, it seems to have worked for now
It seems to have neutered the ERG

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Obviously, there won't be any deal that could be regarded as sensible, I'm afraid.

"I'm expecting a sensible deal for the future." - Chris Grayling.

Reactions: robdon

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
"Many Conservative Party lawmakers are wary of toppling a leader on the eve of Britain’s most significant political and economic move since World War Two."
I would say the most significant political move since WW2 was managing to join the EU despite doubts of some of the members...

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
What fun in the Express
"
‘More petting zoo than lion’s den!’ May SILENCES Tory rebels - and now to TAKE ON Brussels
THERESA May appeared to have seen off the threat of an imminent leadership challenge yesterday evening after Tory MPs put on a noisy tshow of support at a crunch backbench meeting.
One angry backbencher said: “There is a lot hypocrisy going on. There were MPs standing up and cheering her who have claimed to have written letters calling for her to go.”

This ploy failed to reach the reader's of this rag, it has inflamed them to protest new found support for UKIP, and dismay at the ERG being turncoats.
Moggy isn't the big hero he was only yesterday

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales

oldtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
The recent meeting of the 1922 committee should be noted as the day that the tories put party unity before the interests of the nation. It is all the information that I need to demonstrate that this government really doesn't give a toss how harmful to ordinary people any 'Brexit' will be.

They have never shown any regard or compassion for ordinary people so that part holds no surprise but they know that a lot of businesses will go to the wall as many are floundering right now and many have suffered, some terminally, since the referendum.

'The Guardian' has an article that I consider to be objective and it's on this hyperlink:

may-sets-november-date-to-trigger-no-deal-brexit-preparations

Tom

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
they can always do a mini-deal before March.

• Informative
Reactions: oldgroaner

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
The recent meeting of the 1922 committee should be noted as the day that the tories put party unity before the interests of the nation. It is all the information that I need to demonstrate that this government really doesn't give a toss how harmful to ordinary people any 'Brexit' will be.

They have never shown any regard or compassion for ordinary people so that part holds no surprise but they know that a lot of businesses will go to the wall as many are floundering right now and many have suffered, some terminally, since the referendum.

'The Guardian' has an article that I consider to be objective and it's on this hyperlink:

may-sets-november-date-to-trigger-no-deal-brexit-preparations

Tom
And judging by the comments in the Daily Fail readers react that they have been duped by the Mogg faction.
Even in the Excess the readers are claiming this paper has moved over to the remainer camp, as it has dared to print Government warnings of the consequences of a no brexit!
Sir Nigel is making (another) comeback in their affections (is that the right word?) :confused:

Reactions: robdon and oyster

oldtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
they can always do a mini-deal before March.
Really! Now, if I were M. Barnier, or indeed any of the major players representing the interests of 27 other nations, I would consider that the thin end of the wedge and I'd refer to it as cherry-picking.

For the British to attempt to seek agreement on certain, specific things requires a process of selectivity so I have grave doubts about that process as it means there will be winners and losers at the whim of government.

The EU is already on record as stating the UK cannot cherry-pick parts of the the EU agreement so I would think your suggestion 'Woosh' is a non-starter.

It all comes down to whether people believe we would be better off in the EU or out of it and another mandate from the people could answer that.

Tom

Reactions: robdon and oyster

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Really! Now, if I were M. Barnier, or indeed any of the major players representing the interests of 27 other nations, I would consider that the thin end of the wedge and I'd refer to it as cherry-picking.
it is not cherry picking but realistic. There is already broad agreement between the two sides. It is clear that we want to stay in the customs union for as long as possible while the words 'customs union' are scrubbed from the draft treaty. The point still in negotiation is how the UK can theoretically extricate itself from the customs union at a later date. It's not likely (we will need to sign an awful lot of new deals before we can leave the EU's customs union) but a kind of backstop for the UK to get the ERG's support.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
it is not cherry picking but realistic. There is already broad agreement between the two sides. It is clear that we want to stay in the customs union for as long as possible while the words 'customs union' are scrubbed from the draft treaty. The point still in negotiation is how the UK can theoretically extricate itself from the customs union at a later date. It's not likely (we will need to sign an awful lot of new deals before we can leave the EU's customs union) but a kind of backstop for the UK to get the ERG's support.
I suspect the ERG are no longer a problem
They like a no deal are finished

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: robdon

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I suspect the ERG are no longer a problem
they can and will vote against any deal involving long term customs union.
The EU also wants to work out how the UK can leave their customs union, however unlikely.

Advertisers