Brexit, for once some facts.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Indeed, I'm old enough to remember when chicken was a luxury meat that the majority rarely ate. For them chicken was often only enjoyed as the basis of the Christmas day dinner before turkey was popularised for the British masses.
Chicken was seasonal, before intensive factory farming. As was lamb. Mutton was a staple ..hence Irish stew and of course pork was and still is the cheapest cut. Beef was also,and to an extent,and still is seasonal.. with a glut in September /October, when the fields need to be depopulated for the winter.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Chicken was seasonal, before intensive factory farming. As was lamb. Mutton was a staple ..hence Irish stew and of course pork was and still is the cheapest cut. Beef was also,and to an extent,and still is seasonal.. with a glut in September /October, when the fields need to be depopulated for the winter.
True, but from the 1930s to the1950s the English working class that I'm from rarely ate chicken outside of Christmas, often regarding it as a luxury meat.

There was a slight variation during WW2 for those of us who kept up to the regulation 12 chicken limit for private use, but with the end of war we soon returned to pre war habits with chicken meat largely disappearing.

• Agree
Reactions: oldtom and robdon

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
"To my mind we have reached an end. Its either accept May, s deal or remain. The fallout, moaning, recrimination and division for anything else would damage us even further."
I can agree on all that Zathlan...

I also find myself in agreement with Sammy Wilson of the DUP, who wants the UK Cabinet to publish the full set of legal opinion that the AG furnished them with.
Perhaps it will actually focus minds on the very real issues.

Just anothed vignette. .. which may be of interest to Tommie.. . I attended a meeting recently of the engineering board of which I am a member , where the NI member congratulated the Board, for having concluded and retained a mutual recognition agreement with EU engineering bodies, so that NI graduates , as members of our organisation will have professional recognition in the EU, post Brexit. When I questioned him privately later, he was adamantly of the opinion that the majority of Engineering Council (UK) organisations will lose those rights. Now that was news to me, as I thought the Washington Accord would have had priority.

The more I read and hear, the less attractive The Deal becomes, and the better scrapping it and scrapping Article 50 appears. .. but then I was predisposed to this anyway.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
He may look like an idiot
And he walks off like an idiot!

The Donald strides off
The Argentinian President looks really impressed and the audience laugh.

Last edited:
Reactions: flecc and robdon

tommie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 13, 2013
Co. Down, N. Ireland, U.K.
It`s becoming clear among politicians of all shades it`s a `No Deal` scenario now.... good to see!

No Deal is better than a bad EU deal!

Instead of more Project Fear garbage, the government must prepare the country to walk away from the EU on 29th March 2019, saving the £39 billion Brexit bill in the process.

Davis: Let's prepare for No Deal Brexit

Former Brexit Secretary David Davis has urged the government to accelerate preparations for a World Trade, No Deal Brexit and insisted that “it is not something to be afraid of”.

With Theresa May’s unpopular capitulation plan taking a battering and likely to be voted down by MPs, Davis today uses a hit in the Sunday Times to write: “It’s time we accelerated our preparations to leave the European Union without a deal.”

He makes clear that: “If it happens, it isn’t the doomsday scenario some are trying to paint. In fact, it may well be the opportunity to reset our Brexit strategy to give leadership and vision for a better future.”

And whereas May has gone totally silent on ‘No Deal is better than a bad deal, Brexiteer Davis says: “Leaving on World Trade Organisation (WTO) terms is not as good as a free trade agreement, but it is not something to be afraid of.”

Speaking of his first hand experience in government, he also reveals that: “A great deal of work has been done to prepare for the WTO outcome.

“This work was reasonably on track until March, when the Treasury and No 10 between them blocked publication of the details necessary to make further progress, for fear of ‘damaging business confidence’.”

And following up on Twitter, he makes clear that: “We need to put an end to dodgy dossiers and scare stories.

“As I say in today’s Sunday Times, it’s time to seize this opportunity and grasp the fabulous future that the United Kingdom is offered.”

We need to put an end to dodgy dossiers and scare stories. As I say in today's Sunday Times, it's time to seize this opportunity and grasp the fabulous future that the United Kingdom is offered. https://t.co/kxI1M1NYKf
— David Davis (@DavidDavisMP) December 2, 2018

Instead of more Project Fear garbage, the government must prepare the country to walk away from the EU on 29th March 2019, saving the £39 billion Brexit bill in the process.

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
It`s becoming clear among politicians of all shades it`s a `No Deal` scenario now.... good to see!

Former Brexit Secretary David Davis has urged the government to accelerate preparations for a World Trade, No Deal Brexit and insisted that “it is not something to be afraid of”.

With Theresa May’s unpopular capitulation plan taking a battering and likely to be voted down by MPs, Davis today uses a hit in the Sunday Times to write: “It’s time we accelerated our preparations to leave the European Union without a deal.”

He makes clear that: “If it happens, it isn’t the doomsday scenario some are trying to paint. In fact, it may well be the opportunity to reset our Brexit strategy to give leadership and vision for a better future.”

And whereas May has gone totally silent on ‘No Deal is better than a bad deal, Brexiteer Davis says: “Leaving on World Trade Organisation (WTO) terms is not as good as a free trade agreement, but it is not something to be afraid of.”

Speaking of his first hand experience in government, he also reveals that: “A great deal of work has been done to prepare for the WTO outcome.

“This work was reasonably on track until March, when the Treasury and No 10 between them blocked publication of the details necessary to make further progress, for fear of ‘damaging business confidence’.”

And following up on Twitter, he makes clear that: “We need to put an end to dodgy dossiers and scare stories.

“As I say in today’s Sunday Times, it’s time to seize this opportunity and grasp the fabulous future that the United Kingdom is offered.”

We need to put an end to dodgy dossiers and scare stories. As I say in today's Sunday Times, it's time to seize this opportunity and grasp the fabulous future that the United Kingdom is offered. https://t.co/kxI1M1NYKf

Much as there is some support and all said could well be true I really can't see this option happening.
But time will tell. Before a no deal I suspect there will be a vote of no confidence and all that ensues.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland

We can both agree that that the Deal is not a good deal. I can see that you and others are in shock. It is a bad deal. But is it the worst situation possible?. I do not think so.

Now using the ex minister David Davis as the oracle does not strike me as being very astute particularly from a NI resident.
He has told untruths in your HoC. Not exaggerations about the level of preparation, but statements which were patently untrue,and which took months of prevarications before backtracking. Once these would have been sacking matters.

• Agree
Reactions: robdon and flecc

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
"To my mind we have reached an end. Its either accept May, s deal or remain. The fallout, moaning, recrimination and division for anything else would damage us even further."
I can agree on all that Zathlan...

I also find myself in agreement with Sammy Wilson of the DUP, who wants the UK Cabinet to publish the full set of legal opinion that the AG furnished them with.
Perhaps it will actually focus minds on the very real issues.

Just anothed vignette. .. which may be of interest to Tommie.. . I attended a meeting recently of the engineering board of which I am a member , where the NI member congratulated the Board, for having concluded and retained a mutual recognition agreement with EU engineering bodies, so that NI graduates , as members of our organisation will have professional recognition in the EU, post Brexit. When I questioned him privately later, he was adamantly of the opinion that the majority of Engineering Council (UK) organisations will lose those rights. Now that was news to me, as I thought the Washington Accord would have had priority.

The more I read and hear, the less attractive The Deal becomes, and the better scrapping it and scrapping Article 50 appears. .. but then I was predisposed to this anyway.
Thanks Danidl.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015

A pity you couldn't find someone with more credibility that Davis Davis to quote.
and you've already been told we are liable to pay the £39 billion as it is owed.
What do we know about him?
"Speaking of his first hand experience in government, he also reveals that: “A great deal of work has been done to prepare for the WTO outcome.
All lies!
"Davis later appeared to contradict his earlier assurances that impact analyses had been carried out when he said the government had not produced any economic forecasts of what would happen after the UK leaves the EU
As to his working habits.......................
You have to be kidding he hardly turned up at all when he was supposed to be meeting Barnier

Got any more comical material you want to post?

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: robdon and oldtom

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
As I have mentioned, I take thyroid hormones. The original treatment, which started around 1891, was fresh animal thyroid. To begin with, they used sheep. As they gathered experience, and analytical chemistry got involved, they changed from sheep and every other animal they had tried to pig. One of the major reasons being that they were far less seasonal than all the other animals. Both in terms of bearing litters and in the composition of their thyroid glands.

Reactions: robdon

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
.. hi Kiwi, I take this a a slight dig rather than serious comment.. as you are aware, there is a requirement in French traffic law for a hi Vis jacket to be available to the driver should they need to leave the car on an autoroute.So most people wrap them around the passenger seat,so if stopped the police will see it and not inquire.
In a Mercedes Benz? My GF has one in the glove box, where they belong. Mine is in my Ortlieb pannier! :D

Reactions: robdon

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
Whatever you both chose to level at Tommie a no deal is a possibility.. Preparing for it is common sense, saying you can cope with it is a negotiating essential.

Last edited:
  • Agree
  • Dislike
Reactions: robdon and flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
As I have mentioned, I take thyroid hormones. The original treatment, which started around 1891, was fresh animal thyroid. To begin with, they used sheep. As they gathered experience, and analytical chemistry got involved, they changed from sheep and every other animal they had tried to pig. One of the major reasons being that they were far less seasonal than all the other animals. Both in terms of bearing litters and in the composition of their thyroid glands.
And pig heart valves are used in human aortic valve replacement surgery, with an alternative of valves made from bovine cardiac tissue. Never sheep.

Reactions: robdon and oyster

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Whatever you both chose to level at Tommie a no deal is a possibility.. Preparing for it is common sense, saying you can cope with it is a negotiating essential.
Agreed, but it's a bluff unlikely to work since there's near universal agreement that a No Deal departure would have a terrible effect on our economy, definitely far worse than any deal, however bad.

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
And pig heart valves are used in human aortic valve replacement surgery, with an alternative of valves made from bovine cardiac tissue. Never sheep.
Apparently anotomically we are nearer to pigs than most other animals. .. Some more than others.

• :D
Reactions: flecc

Advertisers