Brexit, for once some facts.

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
The EU is closer than the Falklands. Why don't the remainers go there? There's less off you too so we'd be saving the environment too.

Win win.
Our voting system leaves every voter the freedom to choose any one of those 3 parties. Since you felt so strongly about one particular aspect why didn't you support the party offering you your choice?( Lib dem actually had remain in their manifesto)
You demonstrated by your voting you were not that bothered about remaining, now it is happening you are looking for someone to blame. Blame yourself for not voting Lib dem, or blame Corbyn (or May) for not offering your desires but stop the divisive BS blaming leavers. It will lead to more division.
Your little ramble about what voting system is or isn't is pure distraction. You supported leave with your vote. Fact. How can you expect May or Corbyn to do any other than leave. They were voted in with leaving. Its a binary choice, not scalar. You expect them to do a U turn even after 80% of voters voted to support leave in last GE. Dream on. We are leaving and primary reason is 80% voted to do so in last GE.
I find it insulting being told I, m an isolationist. I, m far from it.
I inferred leavers were thick for voting for something they plainly didn't want. What do you call it? Were you misinformed or perhaps more likely you didn't bother reading manifesto. That's not my problem. Its yours, so stop blaming leavers, because you are one.
crikey, what's with all the hostility? id have thought those who voted leave would be ecstatic about going to the falklands? its splendid isolation! Seriously, one thing i do not get is why every leave voter i meet is so utterly miserable. we're rapidly heading for a hard brexit, propelled by nothing more than inflamed fantasies. i'd have thought you'd be as happy as pigs in the proverbial. but no, as unhappy as ever. perhaps its a mindset.

Fingers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 9, 2016
crikey, what's with all the hostility? id have thought those who voted leave would be ecstatic about going to the falklands? its splendid isolation! Seriously, one thing i do not get is why every leave voter i meet is so utterly miserable. we're rapidly heading for a hard brexit, propelled by nothing more than inflamed fantasies. i'd have thought you'd be as happy as pigs in the proverbial. but no, as unhappy as ever. perhaps its a mindset.

Well I support Tottenham Hotspur so I am feeling a little delicate this evensong but in regards to Brexit I would be very happy with a WTO departure.

A managed exit if you will.

Mays deal is not for me though. Might as well remain.

I’m not sure why you think we are unhappy though?

• Informative
Reactions: jonathan.agnew

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
Well I support Tottenham Hotspur so I am feeling a little delicate this evensong but in regards to Brexit I would be very happy with a WTO departure.

You, ve probably guessed I, m a United fan (there is only one) so I, m feeling cautiously happy at moment. Spurs will bounce back.

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
You are obviously late to thread. Apologies if I, ve come over hostile. Been to Falllands. Once is enough.

• Agree
Reactions: jonathan.agnew

tommie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 13, 2013
Co. Down, N. Ireland, U.K.
OG, when you have no coherent or acceptable answer to a point, you resort to insults.

I don’t want a Border Force fleet because they just pluck the wasters out of the sea and land them here in the U.K. If they were sinking boats a few metres off the French coast or immediately returning the criminals back to France, I would be very happy to help fund that.

If a charity were to be raised, the type of people coming over on these boats would mug the collector, smash open the charity tin and take the money.

These people need to be housed somewhere. Why not open up a room in your house? Seriously, why not? Why won’t you do that? It’s a possibility. You won’t because you don’t want them in your home or living in close proximity. You are too dishonest to admit that, preferring spout off on here insulting those who are honest & transparent enough to state their true feelings.

The ultimate solution is to remove the factors which are driving these people from their homelands into other countries. Emptying one country into another is a stupid and reckless solution and one which you are stupid and dangerously delusioned enough to endorse. I would be content to see my taxes rise and the money used to EFFICIENTLY assist people develop in their own country.

So, how many are you prepared to have in your spare room. Yes, I thought so, now shut up.

People who are real genuine asylum seekers will seek refuge in the first safe country they come to, why not in this case for example Greece, a country of easy going folk along with a pleasant climate which these chancers will be well used to.
For an economic migrant they will pick the country they can benefit from most, namely the UK.
Btw how and where do they get the £5k or so to pay to the people traffickers in the first place?? I also note many seem to have a nice iPhone and the best of Nike footwear!?
This all smacks of a `business venture` rather than anything else.

Fingers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 9, 2016
You, ve probably guessed I, m a United fan (there is only one) so I, m feeling cautiously happy at moment. Spurs will bounce back.

Yes things are on the up for you guys atm.

Top of the league. You should be back in the prem next season.

I’m more than happy with Spurs tbh. To qualify for the next round of the champions league from where we were..... sheesh. That was incredible.

I hope Pogba gets a brace tomorrow. He’s captain in my dream team;)

Reactions: flecc and Zlatan

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
It's quite amazing really. Corbyn has a history going back 20 years voting against EU policies. He, s plainly a leaver. He states this before election, puts it in writing in his manifesto. People vote for Labour and are then having a go at leavers. It's quite barmy.
it's because the LibDems are hopeless at winning any significant number of seats
only Labour can reverse brexit or stop a no deal brexit. I don't think JC is a closet brexiter, He is pragmatic, he knows he still has a long way to get to No 10 which is more important than brexit.

• Agree
Reactions: robdon and flecc

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
So how many are you going to take on and support St OG of Hull? I’ll tell you, none, because you are just like everyone else, you don’t want them in your back yard. For every illegal immigrant here, they live next door to someone, hang around the streets in somebody’s area, but as long as it’s not yours, that’s ok. Some people are dick of it. All that separates you is your unwillingness to admit the truth. Now that is something to be ashamed of, really ashamed of.

tilloson you really need to stop this utter nonsense, making up a world purely in your imagination
Do you imagine trying to portray me in the same light as yourself is going to work?
If I was like you, I would be ashamed of myself, but I am not at all.

Little England, Quaint, but unimportant trembing in fear of "Johny Foreigners" moving in and lowering the property value of the area.
From "making the world tremble" to "Trembling in fear of the world" in one weak kneed generation.

• Agree
Reactions: robdon

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
it's because the LibDems are hopeless at winning any significant number of seats
only Labour can reverse brexit or stop a no deal brexit. I don't think JC is a closet brexiter, He is pragmatic, he knows he still has a long way to get to No 10 which is more important than brexit.
https://www.markpack.org.uk/153744/jeremy-corbyn-brexit/
You are right, its not closet at all. He has been quite honest throughout.
People thinking JC will suddenly"show his true colours" and fight for remain are sadly misguided. He wants to leave.

• Agree
Reactions: tillson

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
And is reported to have voted remain, and again reported to have said he would vote remain again in another referendum.

Not the actions of an out-and-out brexit supporter.
Thats the conundrum of Corbyn. Read his manifesto and the Pack article.
His great hero was Tony Benn who, unlike his son, was also a Eurosceptic.

We are under 100 days from leaving and there is a lack of clarity (for some) over Labour's stance on leaving.
Corbyn's big problem has always been that the bulk of his MPs do innfact support Remain (against their constituents wishes?)
He knows full well totally supporting leave could easily lead to a leadership chalkenge. Hense, the ambiguity.
Mark my words, he is a leaver. (As is his real boss McClusky, who knows his members are majority leave)
Labour will only be committed to remainiing with a change of leader, which is not going to happen.
The last GE should have been a wake up call for labour. You remainers should have deserted Labour for Lib Dem. You didnt, well not many. Corbyn now believes his thoughts shown within his Manifesto are the majority held. He will leave because he does stick ti his guns and he believes the majority in country also want to leave.
A resasonable assumption when over 80% of voters voted for parties with leave in their build up to GE.
I just dont understand you renainers. Had I really wanted to remain I would have
A)Moaned at Corbyn for not offering remain.
B) Voted Lib/dem if he didnt change his mind.
That's exactly what the last GE could have been used for.
Corbyn has simply been clever at keeping his place within labour, not at getting them into no10. He is not lying when he says next labour government (??? wishfull) will take us out the EU. Why are you assuming he is? Some more wishfull thinking??

The GE was a wasted opportunity in 2 respects.
Labour could, I suspect, have gained power had they supported remain..
And renainers could have used GE to exhibit their great displeasure at leaving by deserting Tory and Labour.
Neirher happened. Dont moan now. We all had chance to vote.

It seems astinishing to me when a politician says in a manifesto they are choosing one way in a binary choice and electorate somehow expect, well actually rely, on the politicians providing the very opposite.

Last edited:

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I just dont understand you renainers. Had I really wanted to remain I would have
A)Moaned at Corbyn for not offering remain.
B) Voted Lib/dem if he didnt change his mind.
That's exactly what the last GE could have been used for.
are you talking about MPs or voters?
there is a difference. Back at the time of the last GE, the polls suggested that the majority was still 52/48 for leaving. It's only in the last 12 months that remainers started reversing the poll which is now at 54/46 for remain.
Labour remainer MPs have to vote tactically because the conservatives control the business at the HoC. As JC said, and I have no reason to doubt him, he will start the battle when he has a fair chance to win. That is: to vote down TM's deal first. After defeating TM, they will seek to defeat no deal brexit. It's only after no deal brexit is defeated that the proposal of a referendum can be brought before MPs.
Remain voters can only vote once to stop brexit in 2017. It's a clear choice: vote for the conservatives if you want brexit, vote Labour if you don't even though Labour promised to deliver brexit, simply on the basis that only Labour can stop the tories.
The understanding is the conservatives are for a harder brexit than Labour.
If there is a fresh GE, the choice is clear: Labour is for a very soft brexit remaining in the SM and CU. The tories are for Canada+. If Labour wins a majority or better still, fails to win a majority but becomes the largest parliamentary party, remainers can force a new Labour government into extending the transition until demography delivers a clear 60/40 to return to the EU.

Last edited:
  • Agree

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
are you talking about MPs or voters?
there is a difference. Back at the time of the last GE, the polls suggested that the majority was still 52/48 for leaving. It's only in the last 12 months that remainers started reversing the poll which is now at 54/46 for remain.
Labour remainer MPs have to vote tactically because the conservatives control the business at the HoC. As JC said, and I have no reason to doubt him, he will start the battle when he has a fair chance to win. That is: to vote down TM's deal first. After defeating TM, they will seek to defeat no deal brexit. It's only after no deal brexit is defeated that the proposal of a referendum can be brought before MPs.
Remain voters can only vote once to stop brexit in 2017. It's a clear choice: vote for the conservatives if you want brexit, vote Labour if you don't even though Labour promised to deliver brexit, simply on the basis that only Labour can stop the tories.
The understanding is the conservatives are for a harder brexit than Labour.
If there is a fresh GE, the choice is clear: Labour is for a very soft brexit remaining in the SM and CU. The tories are for Canada+. If Labour wins a majority or better still, fails to win a majority but becomes the largest parliamentary party, remainers can force a new Labour government into extending the transition until demography delivers a clear 60/40 to return to the EU.
Lots if ifs buts and maybes in there woosh.
And I, d like to know how Corbyn will sweep into power at any stage with aby sort of Brexit in his plans.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Lots if ifs buts and maybes in there woosh.
And I, d like to know how Corbyn will sweep into power at any stage with aby sort of Brexit in his plans.
His brexit plan: a very soft brexit, remain in the SM and CU.
He only needs the EU to yield a bit to his plan for state aids. I don't see problems with that, state aid is not a particularly difficult subject for the EU within the SM. The withdrawal deal remains as it is.
How he can sweep into power: there is no credible conservative leader.

• Agree

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018

I'm not for a WTO departure,but agree May's deal is worst of all possible worlds. Fortunately we'll all know exactly where parliament stands in a few weeks. Brexit is like an almighty marital dispute, unpleasant and divisive,but does make it clear where everyone stand

Reactions: robdon

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
we could send all the leavers to the Falklands, it's lovely and beautifully isolated (no risk of illegal immigration).
Trouble is we don't know who voted or even what they voted, so we'd need them to self declare. Since the great majority wouldn't want to go to the sub-antartic Falklands, something like 97% would suddenly declare themselves Remainers!

And I have to question "no risk of illegal immigration". They did suddenly suffer hundreds of armed Argentinians flooding in a few years ago and forcibly deporting them costed over a billion pounds and quite a few lives.

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
Trouble is we don't know who voted or even what they voted, so we'd need them to self declare. Since the great majority wouldn't want to go to the sub-antartic Falklands, something like 97% would suddenly declare themselves Remainers!

And I have to question "no risk of illegal immigration". They did suddenly suffer hundreds of armed Argentinians flooding in a few years ago and forcibly deporting them costed over a billion pounds and quite a few lives.
that would be a result (declaring themselves remainers), and i would have thought defending a tiny frozen archipelago to death against hordes of argentinians would be a dream come true for die hard leavers with fantasies of world domination?

Advertisers