Brexit, for once some facts.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
I think it has to start with the 60%. May can string it out possibly until March. The longer she does, the more likely that brexit will retain access to the Single Market. May has dropped the point based system, meaning that industries and the treasury will determine the level of immigration, not UKIP.

oldtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
Ok, I've had a thought about the possibility of some kind of mutual trade agreement with Australia but I'm stuck on this:

Exactly what would be importing from Australia after shipping it half-way round the world? I can imagine that there might be one or two things the Aussies might wish to import from Britain although, frankly, I can't think of anything they can't get cheaper from the Asian continent already.

Has anyone actually costed transportation from Australia to the UK? Interesting word, 'transportation'! If we had retained that practice, we could be rid of undesirables like Johnson, Farage & Co and they could provide Australia with their vision for the future.

Tom

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Ok, I've had a thought about the possibility of some kind of mutual trade agreement with Australia but I'm stuck on this:

Exactly what would be importing from Australia after shipping it half-way round the world? I can imagine that there might be one or two things the Aussies might wish to import from Britain although, frankly, I can't think of anything they can't get cheaper from the Asian continent already.

Has anyone actually costed transportation from Australia to the UK? Interesting word, 'transportation'! If we had retained that practice, we could be rid of undesirables like Johnson, Farage & Co and they could provide Australia with their vision for the future.

Tom
That is the reason I really can't see the point of trying to make a deal with Australia, as the EU simply will have the trade stitched tight before we can get a toe in the door, even if there existed anything as you said the Aussies can't get anywhere else.
This is just picking up scraps from under the EU's table.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Exactly what would be importing from Australia after shipping it half-way round the world?
Uranium fuel, there's currently a 73% deficit in our uranium supply for fuelling our power stations which will have to be resolved, especially as we are set on a nuclear generation future.

I believe we don't currently buy from them, but Australian ore is a major source of "yellowcake" and the uranium hexafluoride (UF6) which is essential in the enrichment process, both to produce nuclear reactor fuel and to reprocess spent fuel. The latter is done at Sellafield and we are one of the few doing this worldwide. Australia is aware of our nuclear plans of course and no doubt wishes to cash in.

Transport costs are insignificant for this low volume, high value item.

Last edited:

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Uranium fuel, there's currently a 73% deficit in our uranium supply for fuelling our power stations which will have to be resolved, especially as we are set on a nuclear generation future.

I believe we don't currently buy from them, but Australian ore is a major source of "yellowcake" and the uranium hexafluoride (UF6) which is essential in the enrichment process, both to produce nuclear reactor fuel and to reprocess spent fuel. The latter is done at Sellafield and we are one of the few doing this worldwide. Australia is aware of our nuclear plans of course and no doubt wishes to cash in.

Transport costs are insignificant for this low volume, high value item.
Hardly a reason for a trade deal, surely?
We would simply buy what we required, unless of course they strike a deal with the EU first?

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

• Agree
Reactions: oldtom

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
they won't even talk about any deal for a few years yet. The Australian government doesn't want us to leave the EU.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
I don't think that the government understand that the only people on the entire planet who like the idea of brexit are those among the British voters and their own number that support the idea.
That is a fact that will make it difficult for us go gain trade from the EU, unless we are prepared to undercut their prices.
And we are not efficient enough to do that and survive

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Hardly a reason for a trade deal, surely?
They have expressed interest in doing a trade deal, and that very high value product could easily be at the core of that.

Much of their other export production isn't viable, since we won't be importing coal much longer, or iron and other metal ores for that matter. That just leaves meat which from there is only viable as a frozen product. All these have high transport costs

That's why I've centred on the very high value uranium ore products, they have plenty, the world market is limited, they have competition in the supply and we are a major user with increasing need.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
They have expressed interest in doing a trade deal, and that very high value product could easily be at the core of that.

Much of their other export production isn't viable, since we won't be importing coal much longer, or iron and other metal ores for that matter. That just leaves meat which from there is only viable as a frozen product. All these have high transport costs

That's why I've centred on the very high value uranium ore products, they have plenty, the world market is limited, they have competition in the supply and we are a major user with increasing need.
Certainly there is potential there but we need deals where people buy our products not sell us theirs surely?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Certainly there is potential there but we need deals where people buy our products not sell us theirs surely?
Yes of course, but the Australians have been making the moves so no doubt which way they see the flow. I see hardly anything that we could possibly sell to them, especially considering their proximity to all the Oriental markets and the Americas.

oldtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
they won't even talk about any deal for a few years yet. The Australian government doesn't want us to leave the EU.
I seem to have read very recently that the Australian government has been in talks over a more comprehensive trade agreement with the EU and will not countenance any discussions with the UK until the EU deal is resolved.

If that is the case, I fail to see how we can achieve any more preferential treatment from the Australians; it's not like there is a 'special relationship' between us!

Tom

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I seem to have read very recently that the Australian government has been in talks over a more comprehensive trade agreement with the EU and will not countenance any discussions with the UK until the EU deal is resolved.

If that is the case, I fail to see how we can achieve any more preferential treatment from the Australians; it's not like there is a 'special relationship' between us!

Tom
True, but this was also reported earlier:

"Australia has called for a free-trade deal with Britain as soon as possible, in a boost for the newly appointed prime minister, Theresa May. http://www.theguardian.com/politics/theresamay

In a phone call on Saturday, May spoke to her Australian counterpart, Malcolm Turnbull, who expressed his desire to open up trading between the two countries as a matter of urgency."

It seems that like Brexit, we'll have to wait to see what is really meant.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Much of their other export production isn't viable, since we won't be importing coal much longer, or iron and other metal ores for that matter.
Gold? :rolleyes:

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
True, but this was also reported earlier:

"Australia has called for a free-trade deal with Britain as soon as possible, in a boost for the newly appointed prime minister, Theresa May.

In a phone call on Saturday, May spoke to her Australian counterpart, Malcolm Turnbull, who expressed his desire to open up trading between the two countries as a matter of urgency."

It seems that like Brexit, we'll have to wait to see what is really meant.
Turnbull has the majority of 1, that explains why he is desparate for a bit of good TV time. He'll be well gone before brexit happens and no trade deal is going to happen for some time after we are out of the EU.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Turnbull has the majority of 1, that explains why he is desparate for a bit of good TV time. He'll be well gone before brexit happens and no trade deal is going to happen for some time after we are out of the EU.
Yes, who'd be an Australian leader, they seem to get a far rougher time even than ours. It really is a poisoned chalice..

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
A little truth from an unlikely source; The Daily Mail
"
Hopes for an export-led 'Brexit boom' on the back of the cheaper pound were dented today by official figures showing a production slump.

Data from the Office for National Statistics showed a sharp month-on-month contraction in the manufacturing sector in July, with activity falling by 0.9 per cent.

This comes despite hopes that the Brexit-hit pound would deliver a shot in the arm to manufacturers by making British goods more attractive to overseas buyers.

But it was not all gloom as the figures showed overall industrial production output rose 0.1 per cent on the month in July, which defied expectations for a contraction.

A 5.6 per cent surge in North Sea oil and gas production helped offset the manufacturing woes, according to the ONS.

Which rather dampens the Britain is Booming after Brexit, propaganda doesn't it?

"There are lies,
Damned lies,
And the Daily Mail, Express, and Telegraph.
And of course the Mythical Brexit (that hasn't happened yet) Boom.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: trex and oldtom

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
the three brexiteers have always been looking out for themselves. Mrs May walks a tightrope, trying to convince foreigners that the UK is 'still' open for business while the same foreigners think we are fools to leave the Single Market. UBS has just announced they'll cut 1,500 jobs when brexit happens. I reckon the mood of the 60% would change in 6 months.
The trouble is that those who thought that Brexit would improve their lifestyle and job choice are not the same people who would lose their jobs when Brexit happens,you are talking about a different quality of employee.
These guys will get another job elsewhere.
I can't imagine your UK drunk is employable anywhere!
KudosDave

Advertisers