Brexit, for once some facts.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
I am out in Greece at the moment. I must say that I am embarrassed to admit I am British.. We are thought of by the rest of Europe as being the most selfish, xenophobic and stupid nation on the planet.
KudosDave
Just tell them rather less than half of us are, and before long that proportion will go through the roof!

gray198

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 4, 2012
I am out in Greece at the moment. I must say that I am embarrassed to admit I am British.. We are thought of by the rest of Europe as being the most selfish, xenophobic and stupid nation on the planet.
KudosDave
Are these the same Greeks who are being kept in a permanent state of poverty by the Eu or are they the rich Greeks who have made fortunes under a corrupt regime. Just wondering!!!

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
wouldn't it be edifying, having trump over, with farage. Somewhere between May saying she wants to keep everyone, including an electorate she's nominally supposed to serve, in the dark for at least two years about whether uk is leaving the single market; and the pound resuming its steady bumpy downward trajectory, I can see RBS advisors were right, it will be a slow but inexorable unravelling.
Are these the same Greeks who are being kept in a permanent state of poverty by the Eu or are they the rich Greeks who have made fortunes under a corrupt regime. Just wondering!!!
They are Dutch,who used to love the Brits, Germans who cannot understand us and Italians being Itslians!
The poor Greeks have been stitched up by the Germans, the wealthy Greeks have their money in Swiss Francs.
The problems in Greece come from being loaned euros without the income from the poor to pay for them,to be honest I think they should put 2 fingers up to the euro banks that got them into this mess.
Maybe we should have let our banks bust in 2008 , but bankers seem to be a protected species.
Leaving the EU seems like a protest vote, but the working poor UK will, as always, be the losers,
KudosDave

• Agree
Reactions: oldtom

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
'You're not the driver!' Boris Johnson has been at it again and upset Amber Rudd"

I wonder how long before he manages to get himself out of the hot seat to avoid responsibility again?

Reactions: trex

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Just read an article headed Brexit Street. So many voted Out , anti immigration. But the people all complain about Somalian and African asylum seekers,leaving the EU is not going to make any difference to control these immigrants.
KudosDave
And they want to come because they speak "English". See @flecc, your wishes will come true, all the English speakers dream of coming to live in England, home of the mother tongue er... tongue they learnt at school or watching TV or somewhere...

What they weren't telling you during the Brexit thingy is that there is no EU citizen immigration crisis, the ones that are coming are coming because they already have a job lined up. Yes that's right before leaving their fatherland! A job found on the internet. Wages below the national living wage but hey! Much higher than in the Eastern European countries and if you don't care much about living conditions you can even save and send money home!

Don't they show those documentaries about living conditions of your EU migrant workers on TV? Maybe not at prime time? We have "Envoyé spécial" at 9 p.m. and I have seen where they live your Polish spud pickers. The UK a rich first world nation? Not where your spud pickers sleep let me assure you! Want some chips? Lovely tasting your chips, shame the pickers can't afford a night out at the fish and chip shop ain't it?

• Agree

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
'You're not the driver!' Boris Johnson has been at it again and upset Amber Rudd"

I wonder how long before he manages to get himself out of the hot seat to avoid responsibility again?
There are signs of a troubled winter ahead. At the moment, the UK current account is propped up with Chinese real estate buyers but they will soon slow down.
Johnson seems to position himself for the next conservative leadership contest.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Don't they show those documentaries about living conditions of your EU migrant workers on TV? Maybe not at prime time? We have "Envoyé spécial" at 9 p.m. and I have seen where they live your Polish spud pickers. The UK a rich first world nation? Not where your spud pickers sleep let me assure you! Want some chips? Lovely tasting your chips, shame the pickers can't afford a night out at the fish and chip shop ain't it?
Yes we have many accurate documentaries and news items about this, and often at prime times too.

But I'm afraid those who do all the moaning about immigrants and their supposed advantages do so from ignorance, since the TV they watch is more likely to be "Strictly Come Dancing" or "Celebrity Big Brother".

Add their "news"papers being the Dail Mail, the Express or the Sun and all is explained.

Or the above in shorthand: Trash TV and Murdoch Press.

Last edited:

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
KudosDave
What a profoundly silly thing to say. Why on earth would you be embarrassed about being British?

As write this, I'm in Croatia with people of different nationalities all around me. I can say with absolute certainty that their attitude, approach and friendliness levels are totally unchanged.

The only problem which exists is inside the heads of those who are left contributing to this thread. The majority have, with good reason, deserted it leaving only the minority remainers licking their wounds and blowing smoke up each other's backsides. A sort of self fuelling, downward spiralling colony of sadness.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
while the three brexit ministers still haven't got a plan, the economy is going to hit the inflation wall anytime now. No wonder Johnson is trying to get himself sacked from the cabinet.

derf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 4, 2014
What a profoundly silly thing to say. Why on earth would you be embarrassed about being British?

As write this, I'm in Croatia with people of different nationalities all around me. I can say with absolute certainty that their attitude, approach and friendliness levels are totally unchanged.

The only problem which exists is inside the heads of those who are left contributing to this thread. The majority have, with good reason, deserted it leaving only the minority remainers licking their wounds and blowing smoke up each other's backsides. A sort of self fuelling, downward spiralling colony of sadness.
all personal sentiment aside, there is more to Brexit than what happens "inside the heads of those who are left contributing on this thread". there is the small matter of an economy listing, badly, to port. I'm not quite ready to run for the lifeboat. mainly because I think - like the financial advisors of most bigger banks - that things will deteriorate more gradually than most expect. And as this dawns more clearly, the electorate will have a bit of a damascene moment and come to their senses.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015

Hello tillson, welcome back, your undoubted wit and humour have been missed, some of your pronouncements are good and original, perhaps not at the same time, nevertheless it's good to hear from you!
I can quite understand the people in Croatia being friendly, they haven't had too much to do with us in the past, come to think of it I can't think of one occasion when we invaded or colonised the place. or even worse swamped it with drunken tourists. (though I could be wrong about that)
Bit of an oversight on our part really, but give them our kind regards.
Nothing much happening in your absence, apart from Boris desperately trying to get May to sack him in case the public hold him responsible when Brexit "Bombs"
The Goodness is flowing as you you rightly forecast, and the three Brexiteers are being their usual selves.

Last edited:

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
all personal sentiment aside, there is more to Brexit than what happens "inside the heads of those who are left contributing on this thread". there is the small matter of an economy listing, badly, to port. I'm not quite ready to run for the lifeboat. mainly because I think - like the financial advisors of most bigger banks - that things will deteriorate more gradually than most expect. And as this dawns more clearly, the electorate will have a bit of a damascene moment and come to their senses.
I suspect the effect will be felt a great deal further down the anatomy than the Grey goop between their ears that allegedly contains the Spirit.
More "insanitary" than "Damascene" nice idea though!

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
while the three brexit ministers still haven't got a plan, the economy is going to hit the inflation wall anytime now. No wonder Johnson is trying to get himself sacked from the cabinet.
I can sympathise (slightly) I remember insisting on a high temperature and pressure test that had been missed (to comply with a DIN standard)
And the test revealed a very severe pipework failure.
The product manager rounded on me and shouted "This will stop the launch" the MD will sack you for this!"
My response was "No he won't, he isn't that kind!"
There was a deathly hush, I turned round to find he was behind me.
In a pleasant and reasonable manner, he asked what had happened and why.
Accepted the explanation and shot the product manager down in flames , then turned to me and gave me one of THOSE looks.
"Won't sack me he Isn't that kind, eh?"
I'll remember that, make sure you do, sort the problem out yesterday."
It was, wouldn't it be nice if Mrs May did the same to Boris?

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Cameron has resigned as an MP, so much damage caused and he simply walks away, scot free.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
I gets better!
"
Brexit negotiation details will be kept secret from Parliament, David Davis says
The minister for leaving the EU said MPs would not be told about things in advance
So here we have a man already disciplined for speaking out of turn doing things in secret behind Parliaments back?
Well he certainly believes in Taking back control, doesn't he?
Ye gods what will these loony Tories do next?
The man is a danger to the Nation

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
The legal aspect has begun to surface
"
Zero chance EU citizens in UK will keep same rights post-Brexit, says expert
Leading barrister tells Lords panel that UK may have to consider compensation for Britons abroad if they lose some rights
And also
Liam Fox, the International Trade Secretary, in 2012 described some workplace rights as “unsustainable”, while Priti Patel, the International Development Secretary, said during the EU referendum campaign that there would be benefits to slashing the “burden” of EU employment legislation.

This is getting worse by the day.

Last edited:

Advertisers