Brexit, for once some facts.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
When this mess all comes out,who will be thought of our worst prime minister,David Cameron or Theresa May?
KudosDave
David Cameron I'm sure. He was the one who started this mess and history will judge him accordingly.

Theresa May will probably just be seen as a victim of that, landed with the completely impossible job of putting things right.

• Agree
Reactions: Kudoscycles

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
I have this picture of Queen Boedicea(aka May)with three victims dragged along by the chariots ropes with Boris,Davis and Fox desperately pleading for her to stop as they career over a bottomless cliff,with the EU waving goodbye....would make a great Scarfe cartoon!!!
KudosDave,through an alcoholic haze in Greece,hehe!

Reactions: flecc

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
What are the Express up to?
"Major trade deals with US and China could take TEN YEARS, trade expert warns
GROUNDBREAKING trade deals with global superpowers could take at least a decade and Britain should not be so optimistic about its future economy, warns a leading trade expert.
Sir Andrew Cahn, the former chief executive of UK Trade and Investment, said Brexit-backers’ claims of a glorious economic future outside the EU are “unrealistic”.

He said establishing a network of deals with outside the Union was “highly unrealistic”.
Strange that cautionary articles have started to appear among the triumphalist ones?

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
May had nothing new to say at yesterday PMQ. Maybe reality starts to dawn on some of the journalists working for the brexit newspapers.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Not often I agree with the Telegraph but today they seem to have understood the mess we are in
Why all the signs point to work permit system and 'hard Brexit' as Theresa May negotiates the UK-EU divorce
Worth reading!
This paragraph is significant of a sea change of attitude
"The only hope for Britain – and this is why perhaps Mrs May slapped down Mr Davis for talking out of school – is that Europe changes its mind and prove that Boris Johnson was right all along: that Britain needed to vote ‘no’ in order to get a better ‘yes’ from Brussels."
Only hope? Hmmm.
And this one too
"Philip Hammond, having made expansive promises to the City shortly after taking office, is now quietly having to rein in expectations."
The Telegraph is clearly wavering.....

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union

derf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 4, 2014
http://www.lepoint.fr/societe/calais-vers-un-mur-a-l-israelienne-pour-arreter-les-migrants-08-09-2016-2066697_23.php

Oh great! The UK gets a wall and they build it in France! This is really going to help France decide what to do when you finally decide. Close the camp down and ship them all to Dover would be a great start...

Will you be having Trump over for the inauguration? At least we know who is paying for it and it ain't me!
wouldn't it be edifying, having trump over, with farage. Somewhere between May saying she wants to keep everyone, including an electorate she's nominally supposed to serve, in the dark for at least two years about whether uk is leaving the single market; and the pound resuming its steady bumpy downward trajectory, I can see RBS advisors were right, it will be a slow but inexorable unravelling.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
This can only be classified under the heading
"Desperate but a nice try!"
European bankers will be exempt from migration curbs after Brexit, Philip Hammond reveals
European bankers and "highly-skilled" businessmen and women will be exempted from migration curbs after Britain leaves the European Union, the Chancellor has said.

Philip Hammond revealed for the first time that some EU migrants will be given preferential treatment to protect the economy after Brexit.

It raises the prospect that other highly skilled workers in other sectors, such as doctors, could also be protected from migration curbs after Brexit.

There are very good reasons to think it is in the interest of the overall economies of the EU countries as well as the UK that London as the UK's financial centre remains broadly as it is.Philip Hammond
Asked about recent warnings from Japan on the impact of migration controls on its UK-based companies, he said: "We cannot accept uncontrolled free movement of people. That's the political outcome of the referendum.

"I don't think that needs to strike fear into the heart of Japanese financial institutions. "We will use it [control over free movement] in a sensible way that will facilitate the movement of highly-skilled people between financial institutions and businesses to support investment in the UK economy."

It came as Francois Hollande, the French President, said that London will be unable to remain the financial centre of Europe after Brexit."

It would appear that self Delusion is now Government Policy if they imagine that will please the Rabid Brexiteers the EU or even the people it is aimed at.
Just how is that going to get Japanese cars into Europe tariff free?

Really May and co should take note of the old saying.
"Thinking should be left to the Qualified"
And that clearly isn't any of this administration, is it?

• Agree
Reactions: oldtom

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Looking for a trade partner? North Korea would love to trade with the UK! A trade partnership made in heaven they want everything you make and in return can provide... hey how about a rock bottom basement price on a nuclear power station? They don't know how to make one yet, just bombs, but they learn real fast. :D

• :D
Reactions: oldgroaner

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
The good old BBC has been recruited to the cause.
lie number 1
Many economists prior to the referendum had been predicting an immediate and significant impact on the UK economy and consumer confidence should the country vote to leave the EU. But this has not been borne out by the figures so far.
This was based on the understanding that Article 50 would be triggered as promised by Cameron on the following Monday, and rather ignores the effect this had on the pound!
lie number 2
A recent Markit/CIPS survey suggests that the UK's manufacturing sector rebounded sharply in August. Reinforcing this picture of manufacturing growth, UK industrial output grew at its fastest rate for 17 years in April to June, according to the ONS.

Actually Manufacturing declined the figures were skewed by increased output of Natural Gas and North sea oil, which rose 6.7% since when were they manufactured items?
Apparently the only thing we can increase production of is something that comes out of a hole in the ground!

This must the the age of "Fictional Economic and Industrial Forecasts"

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
"Fings 'aint wot they used ter be."
The Bank of England will not “stifle” innovation in financial technology with new rules as it seeks to get to grips with its impact, a senior central bank official said on Thursday.

Victoria Cleland, the BoE’s chief cashier, said a priority for the central bank this year was devising its regulatory approach to so-called fintech. It was looking at the risks and benefits of applications including digital currencies and blockchain, a tamper-proof shared ledger that can automatically process and settle transactions using computer algorithms.

Ms Cleland’s reassurances over regulation come at a time when British policymakers are looking for any signs that fintech firms in London, which has become a global hub for the sector, will move to mainland Europe.

Fintech firms have expressed worries they could be cut off from the single market once Britain leaves the bloc. Berlin has already begun a marketing drive to attract fintech firms from the British capital.

Is this an example of "The Goodness Flowing." (shame about the direction, though!)

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
I'm beginning to like this idiot! he has more "Class" than Boris
UK business 'too lazy and fat', says Trade Secretary Liam Fox
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-37324491

A Downing Street spokesman said Mr Fox had been expressing his own views at the event, and not the views of the government.

Truly by involving the three Stooges in anything even remotely involved in handling Brexit, Mrs May has given the cause
The kiss of Death.

Out there in three remote villages, these guys must surely have been missed by now.

Reactions: oldtom

derf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 4, 2014
I'm beginning to like this idiot! he has more "Class" than Boris
UK business 'too lazy and fat', says Trade Secretary Liam Fox
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-37324491

A Downing Street spokesman said Mr Fox had been expressing his own views at the event, and not the views of the government.

Truly by involving the three Stooges in anything even remotely involved in handling Brexit, Mrs May has given the cause
The kiss of Death.

Out there in three remote villages, these guys must surely have been missed by now.
I'm warming to him too, too bad the fat lazy slob didn't have this little moment of reflective consciousness before pushing for brexit

danielrlee

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 27, 2012
Westbury, Wiltshire
torquetech.co.uk
Good grief, enough already! Not only do we have numerous Brexit related threads within 'The Charging Post' (which is fine), but your political ramblings are spilling over to other sections of the forum and I for one have had enough of them.

I hope for your own sanity, your real world 'selfs' are not as consumed by it all as some of you appear to be on this forum.

There really is more to life.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Brexit statements coming from this government are reminiscent of the old disclaimer tagged onto the end of Movies

"The events, characters or policies expounded by any Government official are Fictitious.
Any similarities to the actual actions taken (or not taken) by this Government are purely coincidental.
The Official expounding this statement cannot be held responsible for its contents, or liable for any monetary or political losses incurred through any action taken as a result of reliance on said statement.

As in all Government Communications, it is Advisory only and a personal opinion.
Caveat Emptor,

Reactions: Croxden and trex

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Good grief, enough already! Not only do we have numerous Brexit related threads within 'The Charging Post' (which is fine), but your political ramblings are spilling over to other sections of the forum and I for one have had enough of them.

I hope for your own sanity, your real world 'selfs' are not as consumed by it all as some of you appear to be on this forum.

There really is more to life.
"but your political ramblings are spilling over to other sections of the forum "
That is news to me, what have I been missing?
I posted this comment
"Meanwhile in the UK there are signs of progress in the new Stack of Lemon slices and old penny batteries, self generating power cell technology.
Unfortunately there will be a delay as the Expected EU research grant is no longer available."
I was meant as a rather sad comment on the true situation re battery technology in the UK
My comment in the Battery debate was simply incidental fair comment, why did it inflame you?
This by the way is what we should be doing rather than idolising either the Germans or Japanese
Note who was funding this research.. the EU
You for one have had enough of our political ramblings? how very nice for you.
My post was entirely relevant to the thread, wasn't it?
Remind me, what was the purpose of your post?
Anything else I can help you with?

Last edited:
Reactions: trex and oldtom

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Daily Express 11/9
"
BREXIT FURY: Tories say NO to single market as they lose faith over May's delays
CONSERVATIVE members are losing patience with the Government’s delaying over Brexit, with more than three-quarters now in favour of a “hard” exit from the EU.
And the Daily Mail?
"

Boris defies Theresa May as he backs 'hard Brexit' campaign: Foreign secretary will join high-profile Brexiteers to demand the UK pulls out of the single market
Boris Johnson will help group Change Britain to demand new measures
Change Britain backed by an array of Brexiteers including Michael Gove
Group wants to ensure PM doesn't compromise over immigration controls

Looks like either the papers are becoming desperate, or there is real trouble in the "Toryuniverse"

Fancy that! that fills me with confidence, as in Les Dawson's line.

"Confident? I'm as full of confidence as a Turkey sitting on a pile of boxes of Paxo
Listening to Christmas Carols.
Style of thing.

Last edited:

Advertisers