Brexit, for once some facts.

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
Only about a million miles! he said this
"The paragraphs above are taken from my column on July 1, 2016, a few days after the result was declared. I warned you back then that the fix was already in, that embittered Remainers would do everything in their power to stop Brexit, either by holding a second referendum or forcing a General Election."

That is utter rot intended for the simple minded to lap up to excuse their complicity in this debacle.

I warned you back then that there was no chance that the incompetents in Government understood the difficulties they faced, had no plan, and the EU held all the cards.
The result was inevitable.

I was right

The Daily Mail article is propaganda of the worst kind trying to avoid accepting the blame for making a stupid decision without understanding or caring about the consequences
Why do leavers still cling to the blatant lie that they are not responsible through incompetence , lies and deceit for the situation we are in?
Nobody else is

If you voted for Brexit you are an accomplice after the fact not a victim.
Remainers are not responsible for your disaster, you were warned.
It's no good blaming anyone else for your balls up
This response only adds validity to Littlejohn's article. The balls up is not leaving on 29th.

Reactions: Fingers

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Nation results
England - Leave 53.4% Remain 46.6%

Northern Ireland - Leave 44.2% Remain 55.8%

Scotland - Leave 38.0% Remain 62.0%

Wales - Leave 52.5% Remain 47.5%

What worries me here is the word "Nation". I thought the "United" Kingdom was a nation? If NI and Scotland are nations, surely their parliament has the last word in whether those nations leave the EU or not? Isn't that how democracy works?
The problem is that it was the UK that joined the EU, it being declared by us a country in international terms, but it's not a nation.

For years I've criticised the shambles we've created with there being Britain, Great Britain and the United Kingdom, none of those are nations but containing the nations of England, Wales, Scotland and a part of Ireland. And to make matters worse, every one of those seven elements has it's own laws as well as various combinations of laws.

Now the inevitable has happened, the whole sorry mess has bitten us with its impossibilities.

wheeler

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2016
Scotland
Nation results
England - Leave 53.4% Remain 46.6%

Northern Ireland - Leave 44.2% Remain 55.8%

Scotland - Leave 38.0% Remain 62.0%

Wales - Leave 52.5% Remain 47.5%

What worries me here is the word "Nation". I thought the "United" Kingdom was a nation? If NI and Scotland are nations, surely their parliament has the last word in whether those nations leave the EU or not? Isn't that how democracy works?
The UK's arrangements for the devolved administrations are a perfect example of powers devolved being powers retained.
Only Scotland has a devolved parliament and although it has greater powers than the regional assemblies of Wales and Northern Ireland, it still has no powers relating to foreign policy which includes EU membership.

May has rejected all approaches from the devolved administrations regarding Brexit and has refused to include them in forming her deal, this is despite being told in 2014 that we were Better Together and that Scotland would have one of the most powerful devolved parliaments in the world and we would would have the nearest thing to federalism possible within the UK.

Just as a matter of interest the NI assembly hasn't sat for around two years. NI is currently being run by a bunch of unelected beaurocrats in the UK civil service. ;)

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Profits at UK pub chain JD Wetherspoon fell 19% in the six months to the end of January.
It blamed a rise in labour costs, interest payments, utility bills, repairs and depreciation for the fall.
Its chairman, Brexit supporter Tim Martin, who generally accompanies results announcements with his colourful opinions, expressed concern that Brexit would be reversed.
This, he said, would have "adverse economic consequences".
He blamed "the establishment" for a "barrage of negative economic forecasts".
Mr Martin is currently touring 100 of his 900 pubs, talking to punters about the merits of leaving the EU without a deal on 29 March.

Serve him right for supporting Brexit....I bet he cant find English workers to work as well as the EU workers on minimum wage. He has deleted a lot of EU booze,I thought we liked Italian Prosecco and German lager.???
KudosDave

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
If it's in the Daily Mail it will be far from the truth.
If it is spin it will be far from the truth.
I read that article but it works both ways,where is the democracy in that 30 right wing ERG headbangers are trying (probably not succeeding) to hold our country to ransom.
The referendum result was close,so close it should have been null and void.
But most remainers have accepted where we are at and trying to have a sensible Brexit which doesnt destroy our economy....May would probably been able to achieve that if the ERG had not forced her into a stupid brexit.
From 24 June 2016 a sensible brexit including staying in the customs union (let the EU do trade deals,they are better at it than that idiot Fox)should have been developed and cross party input should have been employed. We should have had our brexit given to the EU but lazy David Davis just took whatever the EU gave to him....4 hours of wining and dining instead of working.
Some want a second referendum that remain will probably win,but closely like the first one,where does that get us ,just a load of fed up leavers.
We have to leave now and take the hit but lets do it in a sensible way that may just not be too bad.
KudosDave

Reactions: wheeler and flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
We have to leave now and take the hit but lets do it in a sensible way that may just not be too bad.
KudosDave
The sensible way is with customs union and single market, which solves the Irish border problem and will retain all our car manufacturing. And continue with the EU's trade deals since we can never get better, and as a much smaller unit will most likely get worse.

In other words, scrap the deal, just join EFTA and then co-operate and stop misbehaving and asking for special treatment.

Reactions: Kudoscycles

tommie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 13, 2013
Co. Down, N. Ireland, U.K.
KudosDave
Take the hit!!???

You chinese ebike salesmen will be laughing all the way to the Bank!

As Woosh says "If e-bike has zero tariff, I can cut my bike prices by £150 on average."

So what`s it going to be? Trouser the saving or pass the saving on to the gullible customer?
I know what my moneys on!

Fingers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 9, 2016
Only about a million miles! he said this
"The paragraphs above are taken from my column on July 1, 2016, a few days after the result was declared. I warned you back then that the fix was already in, that embittered Remainers would do everything in their power to stop Brexit, either by holding a second referendum or forcing a General Election."

That is utter rot intended for the simple minded to lap up to excuse their complicity in this debacle.

I warned you back then that there was no chance that the incompetents in Government understood the difficulties they faced, had no plan, and the EU held all the cards.
The result was inevitable.

I was right

The Daily Mail article is propaganda of the worst kind trying to avoid accepting the blame for making a stupid decision without understanding or caring about the consequences
Why do leavers still cling to the blatant lie that they are not responsible through incompetence , lies and deceit for the situation we are in?
Nobody else is

If you voted for Brexit you are an accomplice after the fact not a victim.
Remainers are not responsible for your disaster, you were warned.
It's no good blaming anyone else for your balls up

How is my 'balls up'?

Parliament was given a clear and straightforward mandate. The problem always was that leaving doesn't suit the political class. They want their chance to be on various EU gravy trains long after they have been kicked out of domestic politics.

They have once again been caught feeding from the trough. Will this be the straw that breaks the camels back? I doubt it. They are long versed in kicking the can down the road till nobody cares.

Look at the historic child sex abuse inquiry into Parliament. It should have started 8 years ago. Now with every victim, witness or accused dead its been given 3 weeks. Justice comes in the form or David Steele being suspended from the Lib dems.

Go figure.

This isn't a victory for remain or a defeat for leave.

It's just the status quo and you'd be a fool to believe otherwise. Mays deal is worse than leave or remain.

Why are they still voting it?

Think. Have an independent thought.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
In other words, scrap the deal, just join EFTA and then co-operate and stop misbehaving and asking for special treatment.
the trouble is if we did just so, Leave will be found built on myths.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
the trouble is if we did just so, Leave will be found built on myths.
As it was of course.

Way back on 28th July 2017 I posted that it was effectively impossible to leave the EU, a conclusion reached several years earlier. Here's the link to what I posted then.

As ever no notice was taken, so once again I posted similarly on 20th April 2018, here's the link to that.

One can read in those posts why it is impossible, our 44 year integration has gone too far to be undone without immense loss and damage to ourselves.

Hence May's unsatisfactory deal, a little bit of leaving, a little bit of remaining, zero real gain and numerous losses.

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Take the hit!!???

You chinese ebike salesmen will be laughing all the way to the Bank!

As Woosh says "If e-bike has zero tariff, I can cut my bike prices by £150 on average."

So what`s it going to be? Trouser the saving or pass the saving on to the gullible customer?
I know what my moneys on!
The e-bike industry has already been hit,Freego went bust in January and many others are just treading water....I have yet to meet a gullible e-bike customer,they should be EU negotiators,hehe
KudosDave

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
How is my 'balls up'?

Parliament was given a clear and straightforward mandate. The problem always was that leaving doesn't suit the political class. They want their chance to be on various EU gravy trains long after they have been kicked out of domestic politics.

They have once again been caught feeding from the trough. Will this be the straw that breaks the camels back? I doubt it. They are long versed in kicking the can down the road till nobody cares.

Look at the historic child sex abuse inquiry into Parliament. It should have started 8 years ago. Now with every victim, witness or accused dead its been given 3 weeks. Justice comes in the form or David Steele being suspended from the Lib dems.

Go figure.

This isn't a victory for remain or a defeat for leave.

It's just the status quo and you'd be a fool to believe otherwise. Mays deal is worse than leave or remain.

Why are they still voting it?

Think. Have an independent thought.
Fingers ,I think you cracked it... . Other countries,including Ireland send their able representatives , while they are still active and committed to these senior EU posts, . If the UK reserves these for broken down hacks on a pension trail... Well reap the whirlwind.
On a related matter, the quality of the debate in the HoC was grossly inferior to that in the EU parliament. There were only three contributions made yesterday and the day before which were noteworthy.
The conservative chair of the European scrutiny committee, bemoaning the lack of potential discussion on what would be the withdrawal Act ,were it to ever to come to be debated. A very valid point,even if a little pedantically delivered.
A contribution from a Welsh ,I think Labour supporter, outlining coherent cogent reasons why Mays plan was worth supporting
And of course, the highly .stinging but accurate rebuke by the SNP leader on both Tory and particularly Scottish Labour for not representing their people
A case in point one conservative MP was arguing that his constituent could not understand why 2 days after the referendum, they were still in the EU.. He was not taken to task on this,when the obvious answer was that constituent was an eejit, and by inference the person who was wasting precious time at the Commons was equally an eejit.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: oldgroaner

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
I read that article but it works both ways,where is the democracy in that 30 right wing ERG headbangers are trying (probably not succeeding) to hold our country to ransom.
The referendum result was close,so close it should have been null and void.
But most remainers have accepted where we are at and trying to have a sensible Brexit which doesnt destroy our economy....May would probably been able to achieve that if the ERG had not forced her into a stupid brexit.
From 24 June 2016 a sensible brexit including staying in the customs union (let the EU do trade deals,they are better at it than that idiot Fox)should have been developed and cross party input should have been employed. We should have had our brexit given to the EU but lazy David Davis just took whatever the EU gave to him....4 hours of wining and dining instead of working.
Some want a second referendum that remain will probably win,but closely like the first one,where does that get us ,just a load of fed up leavers.
KudosDave
No, let's not leave.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
A case in point one conservative MP was arguing that his constituent could not understand why 2 days after the referendum, they were still in the EU.. He was not taken to task on this,when the obvious answer was that constituent was an eejit, and by inference the person who was wasting precious time at the Commons was equally an eejit.
I think that had value in being raised, since it's a widespread puzzlement in the populace. Only a couple of days ago I remarked in here a Sunderland man saying the same.

It's as well the House is reminded that the populace contains a huge proportion of people totally unfitted to vote on such a matter of our EU membership. It might then conclude in them realising they should ignore the referendum and get back to doing their parliamentary job of making such decisions.

tommie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 13, 2013
Co. Down, N. Ireland, U.K.
The e-bike industry has already been hit,Freego went bust in January and many others are just treading water....I have yet to meet a gullible e-bike customer,they should be EU negotiators,hehe
KudosDave
C`mon less of the waffle and side-stepping, answer the question - Are you going to reduce your pricing or trouser the saving for yourself??

Good to see the Traders now realising where their profit margins lie - welcome to Leave guys!

• Dislike

Advertisers