Brexit, for once some facts.

gray198

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 4, 2012
No,it’s already obvious that the EU will not allow no deal to happen,it’s obvious they are in charge,not May.
does that just show that we are but a colony of the EU with no say over our own affairs. Or is it just that we have spineless politicians

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
In response to Tommie.. this is the info coming from those lads and lassies on the Petition website.....
So as the numbers come close to 4 million, you can reasonably be sure that the vast majority are genuine

A few people have been talking about fraud and overseas signatures. As of this afternoon, approximately 96% of signatures on the petition were from the UK. That’s broadly what we’d expect for a petition like this.
6:03 pm · 22 Mar 2019 · Twitter Web App
Retweets
Petitions Committee
@HoCpetitions
·
5h
Replying to
@HoCpetitions
We don’t comment in detail about security measures. We use different techniques - automated and manual - to identify and block signatures from bots, disposable email addresses and other sources that show signs of fraudulent activity. We also monitor signing patterns.

Reactions: flecc and oyster

Fingers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 9, 2016
does that just show that we are but a colony of the EU with no say over our own affairs. Or is it just that we have spineless politicians

I don't think they are spineless. Just brainwashed. They are in a bubble. It's a herd like mentality. They really believe they know more than anyone else. Arrogance is a better word.

Reactions: gray198

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
it's misplaced pride.
the way the tories sell brexit is doomed to fail, it's just a question how soon.
They (the tories) made lots of simple promises based on the EU yielding to them (having cake and eating it).
This is not going to work, the EU27 is 8 times our size and holds 44% of our exports against 7% of theirs. It's like me going against Halfords.
We'll yield to them when it comes to a head to head.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
  • Agree
Reactions: oyster

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
I don't think they are spineless. Just brainwashed. They are in a bubble. It's a herd like mentality. They really believe they know more than anyone else. Arrogance is a better word.
That's probably why so many are in favour of Brexit , when to anyone with any sense it is a ludicrously bad idea.
Or more likely they see it as "A chance to cut some neat deals"
Where have I heard that before I wonder?

Last edited:

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
The point you are missing Woosh is fact that "no deal" is the default result from making no decisions. Since our MPs have collectively been incapable of making an actual decision it seems almost inevitable no deal will bw the outcome. Its the only result which doesnt need a decision, favour or selection to achieve. To me that makes our MPs infinitely capable of achieving it. And, dont forget, there are a significant number in the house wanting no deal.
There needs to be serious change to avoid no deal, even if MPs have promised to avoid it. The decision is out of their hands without a majority supporting a viable alternative and quickly.
I hear what you say but selling brexit to MPs is not the same as selling brexit to voters.
The way the tories sell brexit is not going to work. It's squaring the circle, based on the basis that the EU will always blink and yield. That happens now and then when their interest demands it but WTO makes the EU's budget easier to manage because they tax our exports to them just as much as our net contribution. When it's clear that our stick doesn't hurt, we should know that the approach is doomed.
The only way selling brexit to MPs is a soft brexit.
If TM does not bring her deal back for MV3, she will have to resign and the new PM will ask for a long A50 extension. Even if she doesn't resign, she'll ask for a long extension because she needs to time to handover anyway.

Reactions: oldgroaner

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
The Daily Telegraph reports that Mrs May is set to allow MPs to vote on keeping Britain in a customs union.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Not to worry! the government are doing their worst!
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/mar/22/secret-cabinet-office-document-reveals-chaotic-planning-for-no-deal-brexit#img-2

Secret Cabinet Office document reveals chaotic planning for no-deal Brexit
Exclusive: paper says ‘critical phase’ could last months as fears rise over disruption to transport and food supplies

I do hope they have had the foresight to start on the re application for membership of the EU documents.
When the proverbial hits the fan they will be urgently needed.

Look on the bright side, no deal is better than May's Deal, it's the equivalent of a dose of Senokot to the constipated thinking of the Brexit voters, and they will receive a regular dose each day.
Recommended.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Petition now at 3,919,388 signatures 07:20 AM Saturday 23/03/2019
In the interest of fair play lets compare results with the No deal Petition
“Areas in red are places where more people signed the No Deal petition than the Revoke one”

Even though we are told that petition was aided by bots
About as impressive as Farage's portaloo march,and of course that petition ran for Six Months not the Two days plus a few hours the revoke article 50 one has.

Last edited:
Reactions: flecc and Woosh

50Hertz

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 2, 2019
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/mar/22/secret-cabinet-office-document-reveals-chaotic-planning-for-no-deal-brexit#img-2

Exclusive: paper says ‘critical phase’ could last months as fears rise over disruption to transport and food supplies

I do hope they have had the foresight to start on the re application for membership of the EU documents.

Look on the bright side, no deal is better than May's Deal, it's the equivalent of a dose of Senokot to the constipated thinking of the Brexit voters, and they will receive a regular dose each day.
Recommended.
Two words, OPERATION YELLOWHAMMER what can possibly go right?

Reactions: oldgroaner

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Leave means leave leader boast of wrong doing
[B]Channel 4 News[/B]‏Verified account @[B]Channel4News[/B]

https://www.channel4.com/news/brexit-campaigner-i-signed-petition-three-times-with-the-names-tusk-juncker-and-barnier

"I signed it three times in the names Donald Tusk, Jean-Claude Juncker and Michel Barnier." Leave Means Leave's Steven Edginton says the online petition to revoke Article 50 is "so open to abuse, I used three fake emails - I did it within five minutes." #C4News
It has been suggested today that it’s possible to sign more than once using different names and the same email address, but FactCheck has not been able to replicate that result – we get an error message telling us we have already signed.

It’s possible that people who thought they were signing multiple times missed the fact that they needed to get an email and click on the link to get your signature added."

I took him five minutes, and there are now almost 4 Million signatures.
How can anyone not see that this man is an idiot?

A tweet to channel 4 news
"Section 3 Computer Misuse Act, various aspects of the data protection act and GDPR as I doubt he can cite LI or consent to process those peoples details. All in all not that surprising that a leave campaigner would treat the laws of this country with such contempt.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Nev and oyster

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
At this point in time in the interest of fair play, can one of the leave supporters on here offer some insight into the advantages that Brexit will bring to us?
Why are we going there?
What's in it for us, the voters? and the young, the old, children and the fit and infirm among the population?
And which party will guide the country in the right direction competently and efficiently?

Reactions: Nev

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Some interesting facts
Top 20 Labour constituencies where number signing is greater than 2017 majority

Top 20 conservative constituencies where number signing is greater than 2017 majority

No evidence of respect of Party loyalties is there?

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
At this point in time in the interest of fair play, can one of the leave supporters on here offer some insight into the advantages that Brexit will bring to us?
Why are we going there?
What's in it for us, the voters? and the young, the old, children and the fit and infirm among the population?
And which party will guide the country in the right direction competently and efficiently?
Recently we have heard that despite the much-hyped planning for medicines, there are very likely to be issues. That will save NHS paying for them.

Also, some Kent schools will have to take on child care responsibilities as parents are unable to get to the schools to pick them up. (Hard to see how they will get the children to the schools in the first place...)

Each department will be expected to instuitute its own handling of issues arising and will not be expected to seek higher approval in most cases. Which gives them a much less constrained set of options about how to spend their budgets. Why, just think what can be changed under that smoke-screen.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
As for the truckers' protest:

Brexit: leaver go-slow on roads leads to prosecutions
Police stop leaders of dawdling convoys that were intended to cause ‘gridlock’ in pursuit of 29 March exit date

Pro-Brexit campaigners have been prosecuted for inconsiderate driving while trying to bring roads to a standstill.

According to organisers, the demonstrations aimed to ensure the UK leaves the EU on 29 March by causing gridlock on motorways and A-roads using a convoy of slow-moving vehicles.

The protesters were aiming to target between 30 and 40 locations over the weekend, including the M25, M6 and M1.

Devon and Cornwall police said the lead drivers of convoys on the A30 and M5 were stopped and prosecuted for careless and inconsiderate driving.

The force said it had spoken to organisers of both protests beforehand and told them they were to ensure other motorists could pass them and not drop down to unsafe speeds.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/mar/23/brexit-leaver-go-slow-on-roads-leads-to-prosecutions

daveboy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2012
pontefract

Recommended.
Again …..this is from the government web site,

The measures formally adopted by the EU today, together with the UK’s decision to grant equivalent rights, means that UK hauliers and coach operators will have continued access to the EU after 29 March 2019 whatever the outcome.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/continued-eu-access-for-uk-airlines-hauliers-and-bus-and-coach-operators-agreed?utm_source=2e29ba08-f5cc-4965-b218-5a78ae84353c&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=govuk-notifications&utm_content=immediate&fbclid=IwAR3xQhPPWXc_NLbp3eb44nJXDYzbKjH4DLt5U1O4I

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Recently we have heard that despite the much-hyped planning for medicines, there are very likely to be issues. That will save NHS paying for them.

Also, some Kent schools will have to take on child care responsibilities as parents are unable to get to the schools to pick them up. (Hard to see how they will get the children to the schools in the first place...)

Each department will be expected to instuitute its own handling of issues arising and will not be expected to seek higher approval in most cases. Which gives them a much less constrained set of options about how to spend their budgets. Why, just think what can be changed under that smoke-screen.
"What about the ministerial code?
What ministerial code? they're only guidelines really,
We're ministers aren't we?
Or something.. I suggest we ignore the problem..usually do
Next!"

Reactions: POLLY and oyster

Advertisers