Brexit, for once some facts.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
It will be interesting... . There is a distinction between the Muller investigation indicting ,which the report says has concluded ,and people being indicted by other state agencies. That subtlety seems to have been missed by US media. Put another way, since this investigation is now concluded,and Muller wants to enjoy his retirement, why would they instigate new legal proceeding. ,When there are
other competentt authorities ,and they will have access to the report.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
  • Agree
Reactions: robdon

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Then why didn`t those `many millions of remainers` then take two minutes of their time and simply register their vote on the petition?

Answer: The enthusiasm for Remaining is no longer there.
You have the Wrong answer again Tommie the enthusiam for leave was lost six months ago!

Actually remain people are enthusiastally signing , 283,500 more signed today
Thats 5,135,140 in just three days

For Comparison Leave the EU immediately raised
141,838 in SIX MONTHS

Leave the EU without a deal in March 2019
522,488 in over FIVE MONTHS

To put it in simple words for you

Remainers added half as many signatures TODAY as LEAVE managed in over five MONTHS

Give up Tommie, you are embarrassing yourself :D

Last edited:

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Its well over 5 million now and still growing fast. I wonder if there is an at least hypothetical number where it registers on the narrow minded self interested radar of tory hq?
even if it does not register with the likes of Stephen Barclay (brexit sec), it has only to convince JC where his next voters are coming from.

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
I, ve been out all day, and not going back to check, so apologies if this point has been raised already.
The petition having reached I believe around 5 million may well be somewhat of an own goal. Yes, I know 5 million is a lot, and broken some odd record, and even allowing for lets say 20% corrupt signatures is still a hell of a lot of people. However, surely, its the ones who havent signed are actually indicating far more. 12 million or so are saying, even though they lost referendum and even tho there is still a big chance of leaving and probably under no deal they still cant be arsed to register and vote.
And before somebody shouts back either Farage or some other worthless petition, march. Leave have no reason to petition or march, we are still leaving. And Farage never did and never will represent leavers. His march was exactly that. His march.
I strongly suspect a much bigger reaction than anything seen so far if, or perhaps when, leave is announced as defunct.
Personally still think we are gone and with a no deal.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
I, ve been out all day, and not going back to check, so apologies if this point has been raised already.
The petition having reached I believe around 5 million may well be somewhat of an own goal. Yes, I know 5 million is a lot, and broken some odd record, and even allowing for lets say 20% corrupt signatures is still a hell of a lot of people. However, surely, its the ones who havent signed are actually indicating far more. 12 million or so are saying, even though they lost referendum and even tho there is still a big chance of leaving and probably under no deal they still cant be arsed to register and vote.
And before somebody shouts back either Farage or some other worthless petition, march. Leave have no reason to petition or march, we are still leaving. And Farage never did and never will represent leavers. His march was exactly that. His march.
I strongly suspect a much bigger reaction than anything seen so far if, or perhaps when, leave is announced as defunct.
Fair point. But we are talking 1million per day,and with no advance publicity . It will be very interesting what happens tomorrow. , People back at schools and work.having had a weekend where this was getting aired There is ,i surmise a great level of apathy, a sort of resignation and a belief that they can do nothing.
There is already another petition on the same website for the reverse, eg crashout Brexit and would or might have expected level pegging.. but the ratio..and the other has been going a number of weeks, has only 10% the the number of votes. So if one is calling out apathy , .. thr Brexiteers are 10 times more apathetic

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
65 Million might do it:rolleyes:
The electorate of the UK in December 2018 was 45,775,800 - so 65 million would be a suspicious overkill! And we are currently at around 1 in 9 having signed. I think that is pretty high in just a few days without, as has been observed before, any pre-publicity.

(Yes, I know that eligibility for petition signing is not exactly the same as the registered electorate.)

• Agree
Reactions: jonathan.agnew

tommie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 13, 2013
Co. Down, N. Ireland, U.K.
A massive own goal by the Remainers/Losers. They have shot themselves in the foot by this petition.
It should be so so easy so sit at home with your feet up and register your vote, or as many have done `votes`. They didn`t even have to go to a Polling Station this time!!
What has happened to those extra ELEVEN Million lol!!
Where are they???

Answer: No more enthuiasm for being a Loser.

tommie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 13, 2013
Co. Down, N. Ireland, U.K.
Fair point. But we are talking 1million per day,and with no advance publicity . It will be very interesting what happens tomorrow. , People back at schools and work.having had a weekend where this was getting aired There is ,i surmise a great level of apathy, a sort of resignation and a belief that they can do nothing.
There is already another petition on the same website for the reverse, eg crashout Brexit and would or might have expected level pegging.. but the ratio..and the other has been going a number of weeks, has only 10% the the number of votes. So if one is calling out apathy , .. thr Brexiteers are 10 times more apathetic
Hey Dan

Wishful
and
Thinking

• Disagree

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
I dont mean to repeat the same argument, but a sudden wto cliff edge brexit will trigger economic fallout and contagion that will dwarve that which happened around the greek crisis a few years ago. It will be the end of tory government. For years. Black wednesday will seem a hiccup by comparison. May and the erg may be heartless, mad and psychopathic. But their not completely self destructive. No one would want to take responsibility for causing that much harm

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
Brexiteers are calmer and more polite (I, ve excluded you and I from that pronouncement)and yes at moment leavers more laid back, like I said earlier we are still supposed to be leaving.
I, ll accept your point Danidl when it reaches 15 million... But fair point re current count.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Do give over, it's getting hard not to laugh, the same logic applies to the leave voters where the choice is likely to be either May's deal or no deal
According to this logic, that's fine for them not to bother to support a petition favouring their choice
Utter nonsense! people are either motivated or they aren't .
The evidence is strikingly clear and Farages shambles of a march demonstrates it well
Leave supporters are losing both enthusiasm and interest.
And why is this the case?
For a very simple reason.
The Government of this country is a Basket Case, and neither main party could make a children's party run well, never mind a country in the situation this one is.
Ask yourself this simple question, lets for the moment assume you voted for Brexit.
Who can you trust to deliver it and make it work except for the Rich?
After this shambolic couple of years?
No one in their right mind can trust any of the parties to do that, can they?

If Brexit was cancelled there would be small scale protests, but you won't get a million on the streets, and as we have seen lately the majority of the nation would breathe a sigh of relief.

• Agree
Reactions: robdon and oyster

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Brexiteers are calmer and more polite (I, ve excluded you and I from that pronouncement)and yes at moment leavers more laid back, like I said earlier we are still supposed to be leaving.
I, ll accept your point Danidl when it reaches 15 million... But fair point re current count.
Brexiteers are calmer and more polite.?
All pigs fuelled up and ready to fly
Haven't you watched the leave demo's behaviour?

• Agree

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
I dont mean to repeat the same argument, but a sudden wto cliff edge brexit will trigger economic fallout and contagion that will dwarve that which happened around the greek crisis a few years ago. It will be the end of tory government. For years. Black wednesday will seem a hiccup by comparison. May and the erg may be heartless, mad and psychopathic. But their not completely self destructive. No one would want to take responsibility for causing that much harm
The level of harm is and always has been debatable. It still depends who you quote. But we, ve argued about that too much already so I, ll concede and for arguments sake accept there will be damage.... Nobody but nobody will take responsibility. They can all blame each other. Leavers can blame remainers for not accepting May's deal. Tories can rightly say hang on a minute JC had leave in his manifesto. All sides can say referendum said leave. MPs can say, rightly, we fought agajinst it but it was forced on us. And all and sundry can blame EU, along with Cameron... and not forgetting Farage, Boris etal.
There will be no single group saying we didnt want this either. (well JRM)
IMHO talk of destroying Tories for a generation is misplaced. They can blame ERG, JC, EU, Labour, Leave voters and remoaners. Just watch.
Everybody, has had a part to play in May's deal not getting through leading to no deal. That's what will be remembered.

Wicky

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2014
Colchester, Essex
www.jhepburn.co.uk
You say that regretfully and resignedly yet when you started of with wanting to leave so optimistically.

If we crash or with a hard leave then the Tory party will become unelectable for the bungled farce they instigated and handled, the whole thing has almost entirely slipped out of their control with May saying there are little options while EU at the same time are saying wider options are still open - with time. Whatever way it goes Remain /Soft / Leave then May / Tories will be blamed / internally split . The brexit hand grenade, with the pin removed, which May single-mindedly clutches is both her annointed mission victory and simultaneously the means of her and her party's destruction. Corbyn stands to sweep in not having won a battle but by letting May lose it big time.

Advertisers