Brexit, for once some facts.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
On the current 5 million+ petition, it says: Waiting for 4 days for a debate date

This time has not shortened as the days go by, indeed, it has increased, as at one point it said one day. Anyone know how the number of days is managed?
I am assuming that it is counting the days since the total number of votes reached the minimum threshold for consideration eg. 10k and 100k
At the current rate the petition will be at 6 million by tonight.

Last edited:
Reactions: robdon and oyster

Fingers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 9, 2016
I am assuming that it is counting the days since the total number of votes reached the minimum threshold for consideration eg. 10k and 100k

I don’t really understand what the debate will be about?

This whole week is about Brexit and every aspect of it.

Reactions: tommie

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
On the current 5 million+ petition, it says: Waiting for 4 days for a debate date
This time has not shortened as the days go by, indeed, it has increased, as at one point it said one day. Anyone know how the number of days is managed?
Like all other demands on the House, by the available parliamentary time. Of course that's in very short supply at the moment with all th Brexit deal issues, so expect the date for this debate to continue to be put back for a while.

Reactions: robdon

tommie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 13, 2013
Co. Down, N. Ireland, U.K.
I don’t really understand what the debate will be about?
This whole week is about Brexit and every aspect of it.

Yes, Truly, Brexit Derangement Syndrome has gone viral.

Already, an impressive list of characters has signed the petition. Jacob Rees-Mogg has given it his seal of approval over 8,000 times. Idi Amin, of all people, has signed it over 700 times. Journalist Julia Hartley-Brewer registered herself under the name “Remoaner McRemoanface”, seemingly without detection.
One Leaver, Bruce Lawson, testing the online system’s limits, found that he could sign the petition on multiple email accounts. Others have set up automated systems to sign up over and over again.

Who knew that a single policy could unite the Pope, Idi Amin and Jacob Rees-Mogg?

Signatures have been pouring in from North Korea to Russia to the Vatican City. Clearly, the rest of the world feels Britain is making a huge mistake – they must do, if the Holy See, the leader of the ERG and a deceased Ugandan warlord are all united in their attempts to thwart Brexit.
It emerges that the petition’s creator, one Margaret Georgiadou, had joked about killing the PM and shooting Brexiteers “with impunity” on her Facebook account. You couldn’t make it up.
All this tells us what we already knew – the petition isn’t worth the e-paper it’s written on.
I await with anticipation to see if those of a conspiracy mindset blame the Russians for trying to keep the UK in the bloc now, as well as trying to get them to leave it –

they are a busy bunch, aren’t they?

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
Thanks for compliment. Perhaps we should all study it a bit.
I never said Lamy was Farage. It was an analogy. Both occasionally talk bo!!ox, Lamy more so than Farage. Both produce propoganda, again Lamy more than Farage. Infact Lamy's employment is to produce propoganda for an organisation rich in it, but for some reason remainers see them as propoganda free, which is very ironic with their claims of leavers easy manipulation.
Its not a compliment. All things arent equal. But your admiring view of farage is im afraid so staggeringly at odds with my perception of him, that i dont quite know where to start with explaining how much more of a grounded, professional expert lamy is by comparison. Perhaps we'll just have to agree to differ.

Wicky

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2014
Colchester, Essex
www.jhepburn.co.uk
Reactions: oyster and robdon

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015

Already, an impressive list of characters has signed the petition. Jacob Rees-Mogg has given it his seal of approval over 8,000 times. Idi Amin, of all people, has signed it over 700 times. Journalist Julia Hartley-Brewer registered herself under the name “Remoaner McRemoanface”, seemingly without detection.
One Leaver, Bruce Lawson, testing the online system’s limits, found that he could sign the petition on multiple email accounts. Others have set up automated systems to sign up over and over again.

Who knew that a single policy could unite the Pope, Idi Amin and Jacob Rees-Mogg?

Signatures have been pouring in from North Korea to Russia to the Vatican City. Clearly, the rest of the world feels Britain is making a huge mistake – they must do, if the Holy See, the leader of the ERG and a deceased Ugandan warlord are all united in their attempts to thwart Brexit.
It emerges that the petition’s creator, one Margaret Georgiadou, had joked about killing the PM and shooting Brexiteers “with impunity” on her Facebook account. You couldn’t make it up.
All this tells us what we already knew – the petition isn’t worth the e-paper it’s written on.
I await with anticipation to see if those of a conspiracy mindset blame the Russians for trying to keep the UK in the bloc now, as well as trying to get them to leave it –

Leave must be pretty desperate to prove how dishonest they are, to interfere so much Tommie, after all remainers had far more signatures than they needed to make their point.
So they wouldn't bother to inflate the numbers, and the people making the claim are all leavers

• Agree
Reactions: oyster and robdon

Wicky

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2014
Colchester, Essex
www.jhepburn.co.uk

Have you a link to the souce of those claims Tommie?

• Agree

Fingers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 9, 2016
It will be about the petition title, whether to accede to this public request to revoke article 50 and remain in the EU.

Again?

It seems every single debate from PMQs to urgent questions has this very question asked at least two times per session.

How many times and ways can you tell a person. Or 5 million people no before they understand?

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
Again?

It seems every single debate from PMQs to urgent questions has this very question asked at least two times per session.

How many times and ways can you tell a person. Or 5 million people no before they understand?
Mark field, foreign office minister says hell vote for revoking art 50. And no one has reprimanded him. No is in fact becoming yes. As we speak. I for one look forward to spending many happy years on this lovely little isle with a bunch of deeply disgruntled leave voters.

Wicky

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2014
Colchester, Essex
www.jhepburn.co.uk
Do you need spoon-fed??

Check the Raw Data for yourself, it`s all in there.
That's not 'raw data' - you've copy pasted it from a source - presumably an internet article - why are you reluctant to share the source?

Was it Telegraph by any chance yanking your chains?

If you can provide a source beyond Benedict Spence that names of pettition signers are publically accessible - that'd be most helpful to verify his claims;

"Already, an impressive list of characters has signed the petition. Jacob Rees-Mogg has given it his seal of approval over 8,000 times. Idi Amin, of all people, has signed it over 700 times. Journalist Julia Hartley-Brewer registered herself under the name “Remoaner McRemoanface”, seemingly without detection."

https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:ardqROfikfcJ:https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2019/03/22/petition-signatures-celeb-endorsements-nothing-compared-will/+&cd=2&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=uk

Especially considering:

The data shows the number of people who have signed the petition by country as well as in the constituency of each Member of Parliament. This data is available for all petitions on the site. It is not a list of people who have signed the petition. The only name that is shared on the site is that of the petition creator.

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/241584

That information will not be available and all the petition pages make it clear no signatories personal information will be given out, to do otherwise the petition web site would be in breach of data privacy laws...

Last edited:

Fingers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 9, 2016
Mark field, foreign office minister says hell vote for revoking art 50. And no one has reprimanded him. No is in fact becoming yes. As we speak. I for one look forward to spending many happy years on this lovely little isle with a bunch of deeply disgruntled leave voters.

You actively wish to live in a country with unhappy people?

Is this another lie or just a nasty comment?

Either way it’s good to see you showing the deeply unpleasant character you really are. Better out than in and all that. It’s a good thing that I know of no remainers like you. Even on here you seem a special case. I suspect your anger comes from frustrations in your real life. I hope you letting off steam in here helps you.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Again?

Having this question asked in the House is not the same thing as a mass petition from the people for a debate on it.

Clearly many people are not accepting the No, and this was a question put to the public, not MPs, so they now want a final say.

• Agree

gray198

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 4, 2012
I dont mean to repeat the same argument, but a sudden wto cliff edge brexit will trigger economic fallout and contagion that will dwarve that which happened around the greek crisis a few years ago. It will be the end of tory government. For years. Black wednesday will seem a hiccup by comparison. May and the erg may be heartless, mad and psychopathic. But their not completely self destructive. No one would want to take responsibility for causing that much harm
won't be half as bad as what would happen should Corbyn get in power

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland

You may be right, you may be wrong. But there is a world of difference between a claim and a fact. Now not being privy to the inner workings of the security systems the web management team at the Westminster site are using, unless your correspondents are capable of seeing the tally going up directly with their spurious vote ,I would not be sure enough to post.
It is surely a simple matter to compare the email routing codes with established Providers and VPN servers. And just ignore the latter. As I see it, filling up the form is part of a two stage process. Anyone can fill up the form with spurious data. .. then an email is sent. It is the response to the email which determines whether it will be inserted or ignored..and multiple entries from a single email address would be a no no.
Now your protests might have had validity had you been as cynical about the previous petition where you were giving us bi hourly updates. .. but" the lady doth protest to much methinks ".

• Agree
Reactions: robdon and flecc

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
won't be half as bad as what would happen should Corbyn get in power
I dont entirely agree. But am also very disilusioned with corbyn. Perhaps this disastrous brexit process has at least shown everyone the shortcomings of parochial westminster politics. Perhaps it leads to something different

Reactions: Nev and robdon

gray198

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 4, 2012
remainers on this thread have been complaining about the leave campaign not being honest and now you expect an unverified petition to be accepted as truthful. Who knows who has voted in this petition, and how many times they have voted. It's a pile of rubbish and should be ignored

Advertisers