Brexit, for once some facts.

OxygenJames

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 8, 2012

Labour has retained Newport West with Remain candidate Ruth Jones. Newport voted overwhelmingly to Leave the EU in 2016. We were told that Labour would be destroyed at the ballot box in its heartlands if it shifted on Brexit. Here's an openly Remain candidate winning the seat.
Amazing. The Tory's doing as diabolical as they are - and the swing is TO THEM and AWAY from Labour. Quite amazing.

OxygenJames

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 8, 2012
I personally think the Conservatives will be very badly damaged by the whole fiasco. Don't think they will disappear altogether, but will become a much smaller entity. I think Labour will suffer likewise. Already been shown in Bye election with both major parties losing ground to UKIP who tripled their vote. I think the result of this will be a swing to more right wing parties such as UKIP. Can't see the country swinging to the left
It WILL swing left - and the reason will be something nobody talks about these days since Brexit took over the entire political arena - which is - housing. People need to be able to buy their own homes - this is the ticking time bomb the Tory's are ignoring and will suffer for way more than Brexit.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
It WILL swing left - and the reason will be something nobody talks about these days since Brexit took over the entire political arena - which is - housing. People need to be able to buy their own homes - this is the ticking time bomb the Tory's are ignoring and will suffer for way more than Brexit.
OJ, I agree with you that housing and the right to close your own hall door are extremely important to people

• Agree
Reactions: robdon

OxygenJames

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 8, 2012
Would that not be a win win win situation. ? The Parliament will have demonstrated that it is actually supreme. The brexiteers and fellow travellers cannot claim they were ignored by Parliament,it has been a convoluted time consuming excercise over months ,so ignored they were not. The EU and probably half,if not more of the UK population will sigh relief.
Yeah the only thing she hasn't tried is implementing what we voted for.

50Hertz

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 2, 2019
UKIP are a one trick pony, and it fell at the first hurdle.
They have nothing going for them as a major party, just a protest vote really.
After brexit goes belly up right wing parties will be forgotten and discredited.
Brexit has turned into an ocean going turd. Not even a good buffing with my special polish can make it look or seem any better.

OxygenJames

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 8, 2012
OJ, I agree with you that housing and the right to close your own hall door are extremely important to people
I grew up expecting to be able to buy my own home. And I knew if I was even slightly sensible it could be done. Now look at the situation - unless you live in Hartlepool or Hull (perhaps) - what chance do you stand?

OxygenJames

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 8, 2012
Finally the remainers in the HOC and the Lords seem to have the confidence to work towards either Revoke Art50 or a second referendum,either way it will end in remain. The Redwoods/Rees-Moggs,Marc Francois,IDS have missed their opportunity,lets hope they resign and go back to their country pile and dream what might have been,brexit is dead and it all started by one vote majority,hehe.
KudosDave
You can but dream.

OxygenJames

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 8, 2012
If they (meaning the f******g government) don't actually deliver Brexit we are going to see either:

1) The rise of a genuine far-right political party (like they have in Europe that we currently don't have here)

or

2) A new 'centrist' 'Brexit' party - that will take votes from everybody.
Oops. There's already a 'new' centrist Brexit party - Farage already did that.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
The times they are a changin'.

View attachment 29758
if you look at the swing, the 2.6% swing from Labour to Conservatives in Newport West is only notional.
Conservatives down 8%, Labour down 12.7%, Ukip up 6.1%, the rest (12.7 + 8) - 6.1 = 14.6% went to the remainer camp (LibDems, Cymru, Greens).
That's the real swing. If translated to national votes, you'll have a hung parliament with the anti-brexit camp much stronger than in 2017 and another coalition government.
Brexit can't survive without a conservative government.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Perhaps we might part company on that one... Methinks the greatest fraud in British Political History was the Coup d etate in 1688, which sold a princeling from the Netherlands as the King of England.
that didn't ruin life for the rank and file though, did it?
You could make similar cases for both William the bastards claim to the throne and also Henry Tudor, and the House of Windsor too!

• Agree

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
If they (meaning the f******g government) don't actually deliver Brexit we are going to see either:

1) The rise of a genuine far-right political party (like they have in Europe that we currently don't have here)

or

2) A new 'centrist' 'Brexit' party - that will take votes from everybody.
Still thinking Brexit is popular?
Why? when there is so obviously nothing to be gained by the person in the street in the space of even a lifetime.
You live in a fantasy

Advertisers