Brexit, for once some facts.

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Yes, imported raw materials will be more expensive, but as I am sure you know, the manufacturing process is all about taking relatively low value "raw material" and adding value to it by turning it into a product. Therefore, say a 10% increase in raw material cost will not translate into a 10% more expensive product, it will be a fraction of a percentage point.

The benefits of a weak pound will counter the rise raw material cost.

I think the pound was too high in value anyway and it's where it should be now. The Euro bubble will pop pretty soon and that's one explosion we don't want to be anywhere near. Thank goodness we didn't get wrapped up in that counterfeit currency.
Unfortunately we don't often in the UK,go back to the raw material,it is China who mostly goes further down the food chain,our input costs are usually above 50% of rrp and the Chinese are increasing prices above 10%.
Our price rises do need to be more than a small percentage to maintain the margin.
But I do agree that I have always been pleased that we never got involved in the euro.
Theresa Mays Great repeal act which will ultimately allow us to pick which bits of EU laws we want to keep and delete those we don't want and future sovereignty over our laws....I don't think many of us would vote against that but it's the rest of the Brexit package,especially loss of the single market,that Remainers are so concerned about.
Time will tell whether what we lose is compensated for what we gain.
Theresa May's speech was ,in my opinion,trying to appeal to everyone,but is she sincere?
KudosDave

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Amber Rudd wants businesses to employ British workers as first choice....will be a problem for Arsenal or Chelsea FC.....I wonder if the premier league have the same appeal as a '5 a side' tournament,hehe!!!!
KudosDave

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Lets face the simple truth Brexit is the biggest opportunity for the rich to exploit the poor while kidding them it is the only possible option, that has ever happened, and they will attack like wolves, fine words mean nothing from proven liars.
And 52% of the voting public cannot complain as the pain is self induced.
Beware however of the reaction of that half of the population that didn't want this farce at any price, sooner or later they will react.

derf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 4, 2014
Unfortunately we don't often in the UK,go back to the raw material,it is China who mostly goes further down the food chain,our input costs are usually above 50% of rrp and the Chinese are increasing prices above 10%.
Our price rises do need to be more than a small percentage to maintain the margin.
But I do agree that I have always been pleased that we never got involved in the euro.
Theresa Mays Great repeal act which will ultimately allow us to pick which bits of EU laws we want to keep and delete those we don't want and future sovereignty over our laws....I don't think many of us would vote against that but it's the rest of the Brexit package,especially loss of the single market,that Remainers are so concerned about.
Time will tell whether what we lose is compensated for what we gain.
Theresa May's speech was ,in my opinion,trying to appeal to everyone,but is she sincere?
KudosDave
yes, as I listened to her obliquely refer to phillip green and say "from now" on that (asset stripping and the taxman picking up the tab) wont happen "anymore", I could almost hear that little tet-a-tet between Theresa, phillip and her G4S hubby (in which they agreed it would be quietly put behind them). Call me cynical, but her speech felt the most obvious political posturing I've seen in a long while. Al-Assad telling RT how concerned he is about the human rights of his people feels less transparent. There's two possible explanations: either the average voter in the UK has an IQ that nudges 51 on bright sunny mornings; or the politicians have reached a level of hubris where they really don't care what they throw at the swine.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
yes, as I listened to her obliquely refer to phillip green and say "from now" on that (asset stripping and the taxman picking up the tab) wont happen "anymore", I could almost hear that little tet-a-tet between Theresa, phillip and her G4S hubby (in which they agreed it would be quietly put behind them). Call me cynical, but her speech felt the most obvious political posturing I've seen in a long while. Al-Assad telling RT how concerned he is about the human rights of his people feels less transparent. There's two possible explanations: either the average voter in the UK has an IQ that nudges 51 on bright sunny mornings; or the politicians have reached a level of hubris where they really don't care what they throw at the swine.
Didn't you know? Politicians don't speak to the public, they speak to the press and media, and the public follow its lead.
As they have no intention or interest in checking for truthfulness.
That would mean mental hard work, well outside their comfort zone.
The next stage of this farce is to create a sort of wartime mentality in the country to keep the sheeple in line and ready to accept "necessary "measures, such as conscripting the out of work into doing " gainful " work such as fruit picking for their "benefits"
The brexit voters who are not affected will love that!

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: derf and trex

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
May's closing speech made me long for PR.
Her speech shows her a puppet. Is it because she does not have a mandate?

• Agree
Reactions: derf and flecc

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
May's closing speech made me long for PR.
Her speech shows her a puppet. Is it because she does not have a mandate?
I don't like May and don't trust her, but that's how our system works, we elect the party and the party elects the leader.

If she called a general election today, she would be returned to power, but with a bigger majority. Then she would be accused of opportunism by exploiting Labour's turmoil.

She is a treacherous snake and I think that is just the sort of person we need to negotiate our way out of the EU. She will have plenty of dirty tricks and stings in the tail to deploy when the fighting gets dirty.

• Agree
Reactions: Kudoscycles

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
I don't like May and don't trust her, but that's how our system works, we elect the party and the party elects the leader.

If she called a general election today, she would be returned to power, but with a bigger majority. Then she would be accused of opportunism by exploiting Labour's turmoil.

She is a treacherous snake and I think that is just the sort of person we need to negotiate our way out of the EU. She will have plenty of dirty tricks and stings in the tail to deploy when the fighting gets dirty.
And in the meantime we should collect scrap iron in case the French get the hump and refuse to sell us the steel to build our Trident submarines?[emoji1]
Tell me just what do you imagine we can use as a bargaining chip?
Threaten them with trident or we'll shoot EU residents here?
We have nothing to bargain with, do we?
They will simply say go away, good riddance and declare the date as "independence day"
There will be no fighting, they will simply dictate terms.
And very likely make Nissan a tempting
Offer to open a factory in the EU.
Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: derf

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
May is putting herself first by putting her party first,she is determined to win the next election with a landslide majority,she even managed to appeal to the left...it left Labour nowhere to go,very clever.
But it will probably be achieved by destroying the economy of our country,which at the moment it seems only Hammond seems worried about and he has been told to keep in line.
Brexit effects take time to come out of the system and they get diluted into the food chain not in one hit so for the guy in the street it doesnt seem noticeable until there is an accumulative effect.
It will cause inflation which many middle class would appreciate,nothing more comforting than the family home increasing in value,interest rates may come back,making savers happy and the £ then recover value....but where in all this does it leave the exit voter from Hartlepool or Stoke,where is his improvement coming from,for May has said that she is for everyone,come with me.!!!!
KudosDave

derf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 4, 2014

who exactly is "we"? as long as one bears in mind she is fighting hubby and g4s's corner, not the publics. but there will be plenty of dirty tricks as she screws the public while doing this. much as there was in her shamelessly populist bit of "middle ground posturing". saw the interview in which she declined an election now and wondered why. seemed there was a bit of inner turmoil when asked the question by I think Andrew marr. semi intriguing. whatever could really be the stakes in that expedient, amoral, self serving space between her ears?

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
if May calls the election now, Mr Corbyn will win handsomely in England.
He's the one with more foot soldiers than anyone else while the conservatives are as deeply divided as they were before the referendum. The SNP will hold on to Scotland.
The other notable winners will be Ukip for winning the referendum and LibDems for championing the remainers.

• Agree
Reactions: derf

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
the Pound is down another cent today. Now at $1.26.
Even idiots can see that prices will go up shortly.
I reckon Mrs May will wobble soon enough.

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
if May calls the election now, Mr Corbyn will win handsomely in England.
Do you really think so? I'm not going to say you are wrong because I don't know how a general election would play out. But I can't see Labour being electable in the medium future.

I like Corbyn, but Diane (I educated my son at a public school because I believe in state education for the masses) Abbott as Home Secretary? Shami (anti establishment, but I'll take a peerage, thank you very much) Chakrabarti as Attorney General?

Really? Are these people vote winners? I can just see the North connecting with these people, or maybe not, ever.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
topsy turvy time in UK politics.The reshuffle of Labour front bench did not go well.
A general election next May will concentrate the mind of our politicians.
It seems to me that the Telegraph is beginning to change their stance - becoming more sympathetic to remainers than before.

derf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 4, 2014
Do you really think so? I'm not going to say you are wrong because I don't know how a general election would play out. But I can't see Labour being electable in the medium future.

I like Corbyn, but Diane (I educated my son at a public school because I believe in state education for the masses) Abbott as Home Secretary? Shami (anti establishment, but I'll take a peerage, thank you very much) Chakrabarti as Attorney General?

Really? Are these people vote winners? I can just see the North connecting with these people, or maybe not, ever.
I have a mini American trump vs Hillary dilemma about this. I like Corbyn, a lot, but Dianne Abbot and Shami Chakrabarti are such insider types - regardless of say Chakrabarti's very different journey into the Westminster inside - to my mind. so utterly sounding like professional politicians. Hard to describe, that kind of fake personas/false selves that Westminster produce that makes all the right politically correct noises but one can just hear the lack of any real humanity behind it when they speak. Google/facebook/elon Musk would produce something more convincing of they knocked off a robotic politician. its not as bad as having to choose between Hillary and Donald choosing between labour and tory, but its close.

• Agree
Reactions: tillson

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
In recent times the public don't vote for any party they like, simply because they really don't like any of them.

Instead they vote against the ones they dislike most, and that means all bets are off where the outcome is concerned.

This is why the pollsters can no longer get things right, they are still researching preferences when the people no longer have any.

• Agree
Reactions: Croxden

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
Instead they vote against the ones they dislike most

that would point to a Labour victory in England and Wales wouldn't it?

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
In recent times the public don't vote for any party they like, simply because they really don't like any of them.

Instead they vote against the ones they dislike most, and that means all bets are off where the outcome is concerned.

This is why the pollsters can no longer get things right, they are still researching preferences when the people no longer have any.
Very true, but I can't imagine anyone being so consumed by hatred of the Tories and at the bottom of the deepest pit of despair that the would vote for Diane Abbot or Lady Onionbahji.

Advertisers