Brexit, for once some facts.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
I can. I voted Tory for years before voting for the LibDems. But don't get me started on how much I hate the current conservative party.
Mrs May puts her party before the country. That's good enough reason for me. I'll vote for Mr Corbyn next time.

• Agree
Reactions: derf and flecc

derf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 4, 2014
Very true, but I can't imagine anyone being so consumed by hatred of the Tories and at the bottom of the deepest pit of despair that the would vote for Diane Abbot or Lady Onionbahji.
oddly I have the exact opposite experience, I would try to swim the Atlantic (or vote for my miniature dachshund) rather than live under trump, whereas living under Hillary would only require regular, heavy, sedative doses of tricyclic antidepressants to take the edge of the despair. equally I really couldn't live in a country run by Boris (or May), but may just be able to keep a lid on the hopelessness under Corbyn with Abbot etc.

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
oddly I have the exact opposite experience, I would try to swim the Atlantic (or vote for my miniature dachshund) rather than live under trump, whereas living under Hillary would only require regular, heavy, sedative doses of tricyclic antidepressants to take the edge of the despair. equally I really couldn't live in a country run by Boris (or May), but may just be able to keep a lid on the hopelessness under Corbyn with Abbot etc.

It's a desperate and rather sad situation when all that is on offer is a bunch of inadequates on both sides, leaving us to chose which we dislike the least. We all deserve better.

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
I can. I voted Tory for years before voting for the LibDems. But don't get me started on how much I hate the current conservative party.
Mrs May puts her party before the country. That's good enough reason for me. I'll vote for Mr Corbyn next time.
I'm voting for UKIP in the hope that they sell the TV rights to their candidates fighting each other. I'm sure Bernie Ecclestone could make a fast and dodgy tax free buck out of that.

• :D
Reactions: Croxden

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
The Pound hit $1.13 for a moment, now trading at $1.22, 19% down since the referendum day.

Of course, as many will point out, a decline in the currency is good for exporters. It is also good for the foreign currency earnings of the multinationals listed in the FTSE 100. But unless a currency is overvalued (as the pound was in 1992), it is folly for a nation to celebrate a sharp decline. If devaluation were the answer to economic success, people in Venezuela and Zimbabwe would be rich. A weaker currency is a decline in the terms of trade; it costs more for citizens to buy foreign imports they want and their exports are lower in price. As a trading nation with a current account deficit, Britain is dependent on the kindness of strangers; the willingness of foreign investors to send capital. The prime minister may have been cheered by the Conservative party faithful but those cheers will ring pretty hollow if she drives those investors away and causes a sterling crisis.
http://www.economist.com/blogs/buttonwood/2016/10/currencies

• Informative
  • Useful

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
I think that was due to a software glitch in an automated trading system.
very likely. So much for the future of Mrs May.
She could soon be flushed down the toilet by a glitch in the Torygraph.

• Agree

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
today, from the BBC:

The problem for Theresa May is that when she comes to election time in 2020, Brexit may not feel like Brexit.

• Agree
Reactions: derf

derf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 4, 2014
today, from the BBC:

The problem for Theresa May is that when she comes to election time in 2020, Brexit may not feel like Brexit.
to those that voted brexit that is, to those that voted remain it will feel exactly like they imagined brexit would feel (a deep **** situation).

• Agree
Reactions: trex

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
I'm getting the impression that this hammering of the pound is shorting the pound by big speculators but also the banks protest vote as to what May is doing.
We repriced everything at 1.25,dollar v £, but that may not be low enough,it may be that we need to spot price products as they arrive,such is the current volatility,bank of New York is predicting $ 1.10 and parity with the euro....that would cause rampant inflation.
Interesting times,notice Cameron is very quiet and joke Blair is threatening to return to UK politics...his CV as our special envoy for the middle east will stand him in preparation for the civil war about to hit our country.
KudosDave

oldtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
The Pound hit $1.13 for a moment, now trading at $1.22, 19% down since the referendum day.
http://www.economist.com/blogs/buttonwood/2016/10/currencies
I can report from speaking to many of my ex-pat friends here in southern Spain that they are really feeling the pinch now that the pound doesn't buy many euros. These people are all pensioners and some of them who were able to vote actually voted 'Out'! Obviously, my heart bleeds that they cannot now afford to augment their tattoo collection and that they may need to dispense with Sky TV.;)

It is most likely that things will get a lot worse and may never actually get better so, as they chose to stand shoulder to shoulder with the other Brexidiots, quite frankly, they deserve to suffer the pain.

Tom

• Agree
Reactions: trex and derf

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
I can report from speaking to many of my ex-pat friends here in southern Spain that they are really feeling the pinch now that the pound doesn't buy many euros. These people are all pensioners and some of them who were able to vote actually voted 'Out'! Obviously, my heart bleeds that they cannot now afford to augment their tattoo collection and that they may need to dispense with Sky TV.;)

It is most likely that things will get a lot worse and may never actually get better so, as they chose to stand shoulder to shoulder with the other Brexidiots, quite frankly, they deserve to suffer the pain.

Tom
It just reinforces the view that so many didnt actually understand what they were voting for....most wanted a control on immigration and sovereignty of our own laws,they never understood the bigger picture about currency implications or the economy.
The frightening thing is that if Theresa May commits us to a hard Brexit and that is likely to win the maximum vote in a GE,so she probably will,then your friends will suffer even more after Article 50.
The only salvation is if the pound weakens more and they sell their property in Spain in euros it should exchange to more pounds if they want to return to the UK.
So many voted with their heart and not their head.
KudosDave

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
The only salvation is if the pound weakens more and they sell their property in Spain in euros it should exchange to more pounds if they want to return to the UK.
When they have no social security and they have to pay cash for each doctors visit they will have to leave the EU. The case is different here in France where you had to already have serious money before thinking of buying property, much more expensive than Spain.

On the Spanish news the shops and bars down there are already feeling the pinch, -15% trade was being thrown about as the base number. They were talking also about the binge drinking, third floor hotel room pool diving youth: "if they were Spanish we would have called the cops but for the money we just look the other way", now there is a classy reputation! Three major UK exports: football hooligans, binge drinking and hotel pool high diving...

We have hoards of English tourists at the moment, one last fling while they still can? Not going to North Africa any more? Lower petrol/motorway bill than going to the Costas? Mystery...

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
First time I have ever heard of not having a plan containing sensitive material[emoji1]
Truly the lunatics have taken over the asylum, and by the way , shouldn't Boris be banned as having Turkish ancestors?
Only pure Aryan British stock may be involved in planning brexit.
Sieg heil!

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Amusingly Davis has said that if brexit fails it will be the fault of the whole government.
I think he means WHEN

Reactions: oldtom

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
This is how the talks will go, our idiot will set out our demand's.
After a brief pause the EU delegate will thank them, say "non... Close the door on your way out."
First time I have ever heard of not having a plan containing sensitive material[emoji1]
Truly the lunatics have taken over the asylum, and by the way , shouldn't Boris be banned as having Turkish ancestors?
Only pure Aryan British stock may be involved in planning brexit.
Sieg heil!

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
This is how the talks will go, our idiot will set out our demand's.
After a brief pause the EU delegate will thank them, say "non... Close the door on your way out."

I think you meant to say, "non... close the door on your way out, I have rather a delicate telephone call to make. I am going to lay off 25% of the German car industry and I'd like a little privacy whilst I do it."

Advertisers