Brexit, for once some facts.

50Hertz

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 2, 2019
Lord Nigel Tweets

Anyone care to enlighten me ? what is he going to do about it?
This is classic Farage. How does leaving the EU impact positively on the U.K. steel industry? What’s his game plan to turnaround the fortunes of the industry once we are out?

It’s all pi$$ and wind and I find it completely unbelievable that people buy into it without asking the two fundamental questions above. He will never provide an answer, regardless of how much you push him, and that is because he doesn’t know. It just sounds good and encourages people to follow him in a trance like state.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
The Commission are required to take such an oath. But the MEPs are representative of their constituents, so it would not be as appropriate. It was the oath of fealty demanded to the British Crown for membership of the HoC which prevents the SF members from accepting their seats...and logically has led to the current impasse.
Maybe careful consideration of the wording and meaning of any oath would avoid that?

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Meanwhile here are some wise words g
I don't think they have. I have not read them all, but I think I have learned a lot from this thread. This is from both leavers and remainers. I don't like it when the posts become personal but I understand passions run high on both sides so a bit of that is bound to happen, but all in all the debate here as mainly been of a reasonable nature.
This thread has always had the intention of spreading what information became available, but if some individual totally refuses to admit any information into his closed mind, then to that individual it seems a complete waste of time.
What is harmful is having an attitude like that and attempting to act as an irritant on the thread with nonsense posts.
I presume from the nature of your reply that individual is still hanging around.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Truly it gets madder by the Minute!

Just lovely! I can't stop laughing! it's like inheriting a bodyguard of Ku Klux Klan members in full regalia!

• :D
  • Agree
Reactions: robdon and Woosh

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
This thread has always had the intention of spreading what information became available, but if some individual totally refuses to admit any information into his closed mind, then to that individual it seems a complete waste of time.
are you talking about vfr? The man I know is a logical gentleman with not a bad bone in his body. I reckon he'll hang around a bit longer.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
are you talking about vfr? The man I know is a logical gentleman with not a bad bone in his body. I reckon he'll hang around a bit longer.
What Oldgroaner really means is that he can't win a debate by rational discussion because his ideas and points are so bad, so he just wants to sulk a bit and get some sympathy. Here we go, Oldgroaner, there there!

• Disagree
Reactions: robdon

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
She will leave a lasting impression!
Much like that left by a brick thirty seconds after being tossed into a pond. :)
Funnily enough, she is quoted (on Wiki) as having said something with which I agree:

In April 2013 at the Hansard Society's annual parliamentary affairs lecture, Leadsom warned against the UK leaving the European Union, stating that "I think it would be a disaster for our economy and it would lead to a decade of economic and political uncertainty at a time when the tectonic plates of global success are moving."

I wonder what really made her change from that?

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Funnily enough, she is quoted (on Wiki) as having said something with which I agree:

In April 2013 at the Hansard Society's annual parliamentary affairs lecture, Leadsom warned against the UK leaving the European Union, stating that "I think it would be a disaster for our economy and it would lead to a decade of economic and political uncertainty at a time when the tectonic plates of global success are moving."

Political expediency.

Reactions: robdon

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
From Leadsom's resignation letter: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-48372989

"I have always maintained that a second referendum would be dangerously divisive"

As if the 2016 referendum wasn't, and as Tories and the cabinet implode.
She then wrote: It would also risk undermining our union which is something I passionately want to see strengthened;

As if everything so far had not undermined the union.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006

Opportunism.

Advertisers