Brexit, for once some facts.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
The Comedy continues in the Express
"
Nigel Farage TRAPPED on Brexit Party bus as he's targeted by men armed with milkshakes
NIGEL FARAGE remained trapped on his Brexit Party's bus "for ages" during his electoral campaign tour in Kent as three men with their faces covered were spotted armed with milkshakes.

Armed with milkshakes?

And the Daily Mail comes to Lord Nigel's rescue
"
I was giving interviews on my bus not cowering from the milkshake mob, insists Nigel Farage after claims he took action to dodge demonstrators carrying dairy drinks

Three men are a "Mob" and he has tame thugs to protect him?
What a brave man!
How can people fall for this creep?

Last edited:

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
How long do we think TM has got, are we talking about days or hours?
may be until the autumn.
The tory brexiteers are doing all the TV interviews at the moment but there are about 100 tory MPs in the club 'anyone but Boris'. There are enough of them to fight the brexiteers in a new vote of confidence.

• Agree
Reactions: robdon

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Could TM have done better?

Extract:

May made a grave mistake in not resisting Yvette Cooper and Oliver Letwin’s anti no-deal legislation more fiercely. It has fatally compromised her ability to push her own deal through. As one cabinet minister puts it: ‘The only point of leverage is when you have a deadline and there isn’t a deadline at the moment.’ If the choice had been between leaving with no deal and leaving with May’s deal on 29 March, parliament would have taken the deal.

• Agree
Reactions: oyster and 50Hertz

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Could TM have done better?

Extract:

May made a grave mistake in not resisting Yvette Cooper and Oliver Letwin’s anti no-deal legislation more fiercely. It has fatally compromised her ability to push her own deal through. As one cabinet minister puts it: ‘The only point of leverage is when you have a deadline and there isn’t a deadline at the moment.’ If the choice had been between leaving with no deal and leaving with May’s deal on 29 March, parliament would have taken the deal.
Right back at the beginning... Get a widespread agreement, cross-party, before A50. Before 2017 GE!

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
we went out to vote this morning. The hall was unusually empty, we were the only 2 beside the officials.
Latest poll:

Source: Kantar
  • Brexit Party (27.4%)
  • Labour (23.5%)
  • Liberal Democrats (14.5%)
  • Conservatives (12.9%)
  • Greens (7.7%)
  • Change UK (5.4%)
  • Others inc. SNP/PC and UKIP (8.7%)

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
Great isnt it. France got Macron, who I, m not impressed with, and our cometh the hour cometh the man is Farage.
Actions post these elections will be interesting.
Will BXP stand, will Farage, will they join forces with another party.??
Crazy times.
If those figures were replicated in a GE we wouldnt have a majority government, whats new?, but who would deal with who to make one??

• Agree
Reactions: oldgroaner

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Can Boris do it?

https://www.spectator.co.uk/2019/05/only-boris-can-bury-brexit/

quote:

A new British prime minister, having visited the Queen to check in, and having during the course of leadership elections vowed to get a better deal from Brussels on pain of leaving without a deal, will have to hotfoot it to Brussels — and will have to return more or less empty-handed.

Such a PM will then be under enormous pressure to try to get the United Kingdom out of the EU with no deal or (more likely) a ‘managed’ no deal. At this point, both Houses of Parliament will awake from their fitful slumber and stop this happening.

The bind our PM will be in is as simple as it will be cruel. He or she will have promised the electorate something that she or he is quite unable to deliver. Nor will this PM be able to blame any unforeseen circumstance, any act of God or man, for impasse reached, as the whole thing has been horribly clear for years now. It will be fess-up time — though of course the speech required can be larded with references to what awful monsters the EU are, etc, etc, actually sticking to their guns and doing what they always said they’d do, the cheating rotters.

Now look at the likely candidates on offer for the Tory leadership, and try, in each case, to imagine each one’s attempt to carry off this huge rhetorical challenge.

The speechwriter’s brief? To explain why Her Majesty’s Government has decided to revoke our Article 50 notification and return to the drawing board to consider Brexit anew, without pressure of pesky EU-imposed deadlines.

I think Boris could do it. ‘Brazen’ is his middle name. Mr Johnson could infuse a humiliating retreat with the spirit of Dunkirk as, under heavy enemy shelling, our little boats bring back the British negotiating team from foreign shores. ‘Reculer pour mieux sauter, my friends,’ he’d cry — ‘or, as they say in France, “Rip it up and start again.”’

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Can Boris do it?

quote:

A new British prime minister, having visited the Queen to check in, and having during the course of leadership elections vowed to get a better deal from Brussels on pain of leaving without a deal, will have to hotfoot it to Brussels — and will have to return more or less empty-handed.

Such a PM will then be under enormous pressure to try to get the United Kingdom out of the EU with no deal or (more likely) a ‘managed’ no deal. At this point, both Houses of Parliament will awake from their fitful slumber and stop this happening.

The bind our PM will be in is as simple as it will be cruel. He or she will have promised the electorate something that she or he is quite unable to deliver. Nor will this PM be able to blame any unforeseen circumstance, any act of God or man, for impasse reached, as the whole thing has been horribly clear for years now. It will be fess-up time — though of course the speech required can be larded with references to what awful monsters the EU are, etc, etc, actually sticking to their guns and doing what they always said they’d do, the cheating rotters.

Now look at the likely candidates on offer for the Tory leadership, and try, in each case, to imagine each one’s attempt to carry off this huge rhetorical challenge.

The speechwriter’s brief? To explain why Her Majesty’s Government has decided to revoke our Article 50 notification and return to the drawing board to consider Brexit anew, without pressure of pesky EU-imposed deadlines.

I think Boris could do it. ‘Brazen’ is his middle name. Mr Johnson could infuse a humiliating retreat with the spirit of Dunkirk as, under heavy enemy shelling, our little boats bring back the British negotiating team from foreign shores. ‘Reculer pour mieux sauter, my friends,’ he’d cry — ‘or, as they say in France, “Rip it up and start again.”’
It is deeply questionable whether anyone should become PM just because they win whatever internal process the tories use.

Especially if:
On Wednesday, YouGov put the Tories on a stunningly low 7%.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
It is deeply questionable whether anyone should become PM just because they win whatever internal process the tories use.

Especially if:
On Wednesday, YouGov put the Tories on a stunningly low 7%.
In normal democracies, a candidate is proposed by the house ,and gets voted on. If the majority of the house agree, that person goes to their Head of State and gets issued with a seal of office . But if the vote is not a majority, they don't go,and if the Parliament cannot agree, the Head of State dissoves that Parliament and there is a General Election.
So fundamentally it is not a labour or Tory or lib dem premier ,it is the decision of the House.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Can Boris do it?

quote:

A perfect summing up of the true position.

It's so sad that so few realise it.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
we went out to vote this morning. The hall was unusually empty, we were the only 2 beside the officials.
Latest poll:

Source: Kantar
  • Brexit Party (27.4%)
  • Labour (23.5%)
  • Liberal Democrats (14.5%)
  • Conservatives (12.9%)
  • Greens (7.7%)
  • Change UK (5.4%)
  • Others inc. SNP/PC and UKIP (8.7%)
I went to vote lib Dems, just me there!
I wonder what the turnout will be?

Reactions: robdon

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I went to vote lib Dems, just me there!
I wonder what the turnout will be?
Similar for me, all alone there as a voter on this 3000 home estate. In fact the three officials were deeply engrossed in a discussion when I entered, showing how bored they were.

In the long walking stretch to the polling station I saw no-one else entering, and walking back again I kept looking round and didn't see anyone else enter.

If our examples are typical it will be a very low turnout.

As a remainer I also voted LibDem since the polls predicted they'd get more votes than than the other remain options.

50Hertz

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 2, 2019
I have been to vote for the LibDems for the first time in my life. The polling station was deserted and the electoral roll had very few lines through the names of those who had voted.

Could there be a surprise on Sunday?

• :D
Reactions: flecc and Woosh

Advertisers