Brexit, for once some facts.

daveboy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2012
pontefract
No, they were air guns. There's a Wikipedia article about this. Here's what it says:

"This forward-moving barrel has given rise to the view that the Gat is not an air weapon at all, but simply a spring catapult. This is incorrect. The piston is a leather seal around the outside of the inner barrel, running in a larger concentric cylinder within the receiver. The barrel and piston are driven forward when fired, air passing into the chamber from two small transfer ports drilled at the rear of the barrel, just ahead of the leather seal."

I had one myself in about 1947, made with aluminium and completely useless.
There was one for sale on freeadds £50 :eek: :eek:

• :D
Reactions: Woosh

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
No, they were air guns. There's a Wikipedia article about this. Here's what it says:

"This forward-moving barrel has given rise to the view that the Gat is not an air weapon at all, but simply a spring catapult. This is incorrect. The piston is a leather seal around the outside of the inner barrel, running in a larger concentric cylinder within the receiver. The barrel and piston are driven forward when fired, air passing into the chamber from two small transfer ports drilled at the rear of the barrel, just ahead of the leather seal."

I had one myself in about 1947, made with aluminium and completely useless.
A P.I.A.T for beginners perchance?.

Reactions: flecc

Fingers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 9, 2016
Stuffing it to Johnny Foreigner, that's what is at the root of it.

As some of us have said all along, for lots of these people and especially those car workers, it's pure xenophobia, simple dislike of foreigners.

In every respect they want Britain for the British, or more accurately for many, England for the English. It's why they fly the flag of St George at every opportunity.

Keep on with the racist card.

One day it will be true. Surely?

Wicky

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2014
Colchester, Essex
www.jhepburn.co.uk
Stuffing it to Johnny Foreigner, that's what is at the root of it.

As some of us have said all along, for lots of these people and especially those car workers, it's pure xenophobia, simple dislike of foreigners.

In every respect they want Britain for the British, or more accurately for many, England for the English. It's why they fly the flag of St George at every opportunity.
Plus I believe - folk just expressing dissatisfaction at current Government (and alternative TPTB) at the time esp. referendum that started it all i.e Cameron led Tories , plus May Tories who were grasped the buck etc. and its a protest vote on a grand and extravagent scale.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I still don’t know what it is that we stand to gain which makes putting these industries in jeopardy a worthwhile trade-off. What is even more puzzling is the fact that people working in the car industry are still hard-Brexiters. What is it? Someone please tell me what the Brexit prize is. I honestly can’t see it.
when I think about possible economic gains if we leave, I can cite a few:
- we need a degree of statism.
- we need to tailor external tariffs to suit ourselves rather than the EU28.
- we need the ability to control direct foreign investment. At the moment, there is none inside the EU28.
Some report said that consumers were overcharged for electricity, gas and broadband. There is not much we can do.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
- we need the ability to control direct foreign investment. At the moment, there is none inside the EU28.
Some report said that consumers were overcharged for electricity, gas and broadband. There is not much we can do.
I think you might be overstating the difficulties the EU has with 1 and 3 above. SNCF,and DB still exist. It i do not think the EU has any difficulty with community owned resources. .
DFI is an arcane activity, but other countries, including my own manage it very well.
2 .. Tariffs well maybe, but that is swings and roundabouts

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015

Racist:
a person who shows or feels discrimination or prejudice against people of other races, or who believes that a particular race is superior to another.

Do you really, honestly believe that a large number of leave voters aren't inclined that way?
After all look at the propaganda aimed at them that was clearly racist yet in intent presented as if it was a reasonable point of view for them to hold.
How would they react to this for instance

Or this?

And they are intended to show these people all coming here

Last edited:

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
You might as well add Free Beer tomorrow and no income tax
They are all merely wishful thinking that not a soul in any of the parties , nor in fact in commerce or industry will break into a sweat to achieve aren't they?
Why haven't they made even the slightest effort to do any of those things?
Is the EU to blame because foreigners have bought up most of our infrastructure and London property too?
And if Germany can prosper in the EU, why can't we?

Reactions: flecc

RossG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2019
Always seemed a bit of a con decribing it as an air pistol.. If I remember correctly air had nothing to do with it.??? It just threw the missile out.. Well sort of threw it.???
It was just a spring gun really. You would push the barrel against something solid like a wall and it would squash the spring and it would click, pull the trigger and the spring would be released.
I took the spring out of mine and replaced it with a more powerful one, it was so strong I could just about depress it.
It went with a right thud when I pulled the trigger, felt like I was holding a Magnum.
;)

Reactions: 50Hertz

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland

You see fingers, it is the only explanation that we rational people outside of the Brexit bubble can understand as a plausible reason for the attraction of Brexit, is a dislike of the "other. ". When Ms Widdecombe makes statements like ,"food shortages will be no worse than during the war" , any rational debate on improved living standards post Brexit have been crushed. So what is left?

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
It was just a spring gun really. You would push the barrel against something solid like a wall and it would squash the spring and it would click, pull the trigger and the spring would be released.
I took the spring out of mine and replaced it with a more powerful one, it was so strong I could just about depress it.
It went with a right thud when I pulled the trigger, felt like I was holding a Magnum.
;)
Comparing it to an ice-cream?. Faint praise indeed

Fingers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 9, 2016
Deary me. The racist argument is back.

Try and get a new one guys. You do know the definition of madness right?

I had a gatt gun and a Webley hurricane btw.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
;)
It was an air gun, see this post.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006

The question asked was why even the car workers whose jobs may depend on EU membership are still hard brexiters.

Either it's on the discrimination grounds I posted or they are too thick to understand their own situation.

You choose.

And please don't try to tell me their cars will be sold elsewhere. These cars are produced specifically for the EU market, production set up in the first instance to take advantage of our EU membership. Supplying only the UK would threaten their existence as Honda's departure due to insufficient sales shows.

• Agree
Reactions: oldgroaner

OxygenJames

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 8, 2012
The question asked was why even the car workers whose jobs may depend on EU membership are still hard brexiters.

Either it's on the discrimination grounds I posted or they are too thick to understand their own situation.

You choose.

And please don't try to tell me their cars will be sold elsewhere. These cars are produced specifically for the EU market, production set up in the first instance to take advantage of our EU membership. Supplying only the UK would threaten their existence as Honda's departure due to insufficient sales shows.
Or because life is not just about the job you have. Or that they don't believe the scare-tactics that a vote for Brexit necessarily means they lose their jobs.

Advertisers