Brexit, for once some facts.

50Hertz

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 2, 2019
We used to play paint ball without the paint but with airguns... We wore goggles and either Great Coats or Parkers. Amazingly nobody got hurt. Always thought my catapult loaded with ball bearings was loads more dangerous than airgun.. How times " changed...Thank goodness for play stations... And motorbikes.
Anybody remember "Gat guns"? Sort of an air pistol that threw out the pelet... No use of air... Sort of spring operated catapult for pellets. They were even worse than air pistols... Which were pretty crap to start with.
I had a Gat Gun, I’d forgotten about that. It was rubbish. Dad then bought me a Webley Junior.177 air pistol which wasn’t too bad.

Reactions: oldgroaner

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Mr Corbyn has arrived in Dublin for talks with trade unionists here. He made a statement at the airport, which now makes me dispair. It is obviously the case that none of the leading lights in the Westminster firmament get "IT."
He has come down in favour of a new referendum. But not one which cancels any Brexit. He wants the referendum to determine the type of DEAL BREXIT. ,On the supposition that There can be no NO DEAL BREXIT.

But there is no time left!. He is conveniently ignoring the fact that the only Deal possible is the one he was instrumental in scuppering, and the no deal drop out is the default legal position in 27 member states.

50Hertz

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 2, 2019
Mr Corbyn has arrived in Dublin for talks with trade unionists here. He made a statement at the airport, which now makes me dispair. It is obviously the case that none of the leading lights in the Westminster firmament get "IT."
He has come down in favour of a new referendum. But not one which cancels any Brexit. He wants the referendum to determine the type of DEAL BREXIT. ,On the supposition that There can be no NO DEAL BREXIT.

But there is no time left!. He is conveniently ignoring the fact that the only Deal possible is the one he was instrumental in scuppering, and the no deal drop out is the default legal position in 27 member states.
Correct. When you take into account ridiculous levels annual leave, time wasted in talking shops, and generally tossing it off, our MPs have around 40 working days to get this sorted out. Nothing can really happen until the Conservatives choose a new Chief Incompetent either.

They will need to either rename May’s deal and accept that, scrap Brexit by pulling A50, or beg for yet more time to squander. Corbyn is out of his mind if he thinks there can be a series of public votes on different permutations of Brexit. The man is an idiot.

It’s time all parties grasped the nettle and came down on one side or the other, like the LibDems and BXP have done.

The problem Labour and Cons face is that they have been able to get away with fannying around and achieving nothing for decades. Now decisive action and leadership is required, they are all clueless. Why would anyone want to place even more power and influence in the hands of these half-wits.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015

Truly he is no use and there's no way he is going to change

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
From the Daily Heil
"
STEPHEN GLOVER: Putting Boris in the dock isn’t just dotty. It’s a deeply sinister attack on our freedoms
"
What's wrong with prosecuting a man for lying deceiving the public , let alone being involved with the criminal acts involved in rigging the referendum?

Why is this paper not being told not to report on a case going to court under the usual laws?
Apparently this is what the Brexit voters voted for

Wollt ihr den totalen Brexit?

Somehow it sees familiar.....

Last edited:

50Hertz

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 2, 2019
Factory shutdowns intended to be a contingency in case of disruption from a 29 March Brexit, slashed UK car production in April by almost a half. Even though Brexit was delayed, the factories still closed. You can’t just flip-flop on a decision like that. The shutting of factories was part of a raft of costly measures, including stockpiling, training for new customs procedures and rerouting of logistics. Now our w-anchor government want them to repeat the very costly process for the new 31 October Brexit deadline set by the European Union! A deadline Parliament will probably miss yet again because (a) the they aren’t in the office very often over the summer, and (b) they are indecisive fools incapable of achieving anything.

How much more of this can business take before they decide it’s not worth the bother? Toyota, Nissan, Honda, BMW, Jaguar, Land Rover, Bombardier and a whole raft of other companies must be on the brink. There isn’t anything here in the U.K. that they can’t get with less agro elsewhere.

I do not understand what it is that we stand to gain from leaving the EU that makes it worthwhile putting all of this industry and employment in jeopardy. Someone wanting to leave, please tell me. Do you really believe in our government’s ability to attract new industries and investment when you look at this track record?

50Hertz

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 2, 2019
From the Daily Heil
"
STEPHEN GLOVER: Putting Boris in the dock isn’t just dotty. It’s a deeply sinister attack on our freedoms
"
What's wrong with prosecuting a man for lying deceiving the public , let alone being involved with the criminal acts involved in rigging the referendum?

Why is this paper not being told not to report on a case going to court under the usual laws?
True, it couldn’t have happened to a nicer man :) but why now? Someone has been keeping their powder dry, which is also a bit sinister. It wouldn’t surprise me to learn that one of the other shitehawk leadership hopefuls has their fingerprints on this.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
True, it couldn’t have happened to a nicer man :) but why now? Someone has been keeping their powder dry, which is also a bit sinister. It wouldn’t surprise me to learn that one of the other shitehawk leadership hopefuls has their fingerprints on this.
We all know, don't we, that legal processes tend to grind on and on for years? And before this could even get going it had to raise funds. It might even appear to have been done quite quickly by some with experience.

Indeed, unless those mounting the action are extremely prescient, it wouldn't have clashed with EU elections, and March 29 would have been bye-bye day. TM might even have been popular.

I don’t think there is any need to look further for the timing. Maybe others have grubby prints all over, but that is not yet proved.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Never look a gift horse in the mouth as the saying goes :oops:

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
We all know, don't we, that legal processes tend to grind on and on for years? And before this could even get going it had to raise funds. It might even appear to have been done quite quickly by some with experience.

Indeed, unless those mounting the action are extremely prescient, it wouldn't have clashed with EU elections, and March 29 would have been bye-bye day. TM might even have been popular.

I don’t think there is any need to look further for the timing. Maybe others have grubby prints all over, but that is not yet proved.
All's unfair in love, war and Conservative leadership elections.
After all wasn't one of Boris complaints that EU officials are "unelected"?
And here is trying to use the same process to become Prime Minister!

You can hardly expect that the likes of Gove and co who were involved in rigging the referendum won't use dirty tricks here too, now can you?

Besides as we all know full well, he will get away with it, there will be some legal wrinkle or other to be exploited.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Factory shutdowns intended to be a contingency in case of disruption from a 29 March Brexit, slashed UK car production in April by almost a half. Even though Brexit was delayed, the factories still closed. You can’t just flip-flop on a decision like that. The shutting of factories was part of a raft of costly measures, including stockpiling, training for new customs procedures and rerouting of logistics. Now our w-anchor government want them to repeat the very costly process for the new 31 October Brexit deadline set by the European Union! A deadline Parliament will probably miss yet again because (a) the they aren’t in the office very often over the summer, and (b) they are indecisive fools incapable of achieving anything.

How much more of this can business take before they decide it’s not worth the bother? Toyota, Nissan, Honda, BMW, Jaguar, Land Rover, Bombardier and a whole raft of other companies must be on the brink. There isn’t anything here in the U.K. that they can’t get with less agro elsewhere.

I do not understand what it is that we stand to gain from leaving the EU that makes it worthwhile putting all of this industry and employment in jeopardy. Someone wanting to leave, please tell me. Do you really believe in our government’s ability to attract new industries and investment when you look at this track record?
There's a bigger queue than that at the top of mount Everest.
I take it as significant that the only leave response we get on here are ad hominem attacks (mostly on me)
And even those lack the spirit and style I used to so look forward to.
The Brexit balloon hasn't burst, just deflated to the point where it is a Whoopee cushion that Corbyn keeps sitting on.:cool:

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Besides as we all know full well, he will get away with it, there will be some legal wrinkle or other to be exploited.
I agree. I think the most we can hope is that he has been forced to say things he didn't want to say and some evidence has been presented which is of, shall we say, "interest" to all of us.

He is not getting a life sentence!

• Agree

50Hertz

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 2, 2019
There's a bigger queue than that at the top of mount Everest.
I take it as significant that the only leave response we get on here are ad hominem attacks (mostly on me)
And even those lack the spirit and style I used to so look forward to.
The Brexit balloon hasn't burst, just deflated to the point where it is a Whoopee cushion that Corbyn keeps sitting on.:cool:
I still don’t know what it is that we stand to gain which makes putting these industries in jeopardy a worthwhile trade-off. What is even more puzzling is the fact that people working in the car industry are still hard-Brexiters. What is it? Someone please tell me what the Brexit prize is. I honestly can’t see it.

• Agree

daveboy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2012
pontefract
Always seemed a bit of a con decribing it as an air pistol.. If I remember correctly air had nothing to do with it.??? It just threw the missile out.. Well sort of threw it.???
It was an air pistol (just didn't seem like it) it wouldn't have fired corks out of the end if no air involved. It also had a really long pin at the back that you had to screw in to get the pellet past the air exhaust port.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
I still don’t know what it is that we stand to gain which makes putting these industries in jeopardy a worthwhile trade-off. What is even more puzzling is the fact that people working in the car industry are still hard-Brexiters. What is it? Someone please tell me what the Brexit prize is. I honestly can’t see it.
There are reasons that they stick to the decision.
Firstly they have been convinced that anything said against Brexit is lies, and insults their view of "Democracy"plus they imagine that the leave win as one of the ten commandments, irrevocable and for all time, they "Won" and now some mysterious Elite is robbing them of their victory because they sneer at them, and regard them as thick.
Not thick perhaps, but deluded undoubtedly, to not realise an "Elite" is in fact leading them astray.

And the reason you can't see the Brexit Prize?
There simply isn't one to see unless you have criminal ambitions in Tax Evasion

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Stuffing it to Johnny Foreigner, that's what is at the root of it.

As some of us have said all along, for lots of these people and especially those car workers, it's pure xenophobia, simple dislike of foreigners.

In every respect they want Britain for the British, or more accurately for many, England for the English. It's why they fly the flag of St George at every opportunity.

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Always seemed a bit of a con decribing it as an air pistol.. If I remember correctly air had nothing to do with it.??? It just threw the missile out.. Well sort of threw it.???
No, they were air guns. There's a Wikipedia article about this. Here's what it says:

"This forward-moving barrel has given rise to the view that the Gat is not an air weapon at all, but simply a spring catapult. This is incorrect. The piston is a leather seal around the outside of the inner barrel, running in a larger concentric cylinder within the receiver. The barrel and piston are driven forward when fired, air passing into the chamber from two small transfer ports drilled at the rear of the barrel, just ahead of the leather seal."

I had one myself in about 1947, made with aluminium and completely useless.

• Agree
  • Informative
Reactions: Nev and oldgroaner

Advertisers