Brexit, for once some facts.

gray198

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 4, 2012
I understand that,and so does she. But both she and I hope that the "madness of King George' might pass , and the very sizable minority 33% of the UK voting population regains their senses.
she wants her freedom but begrudges us ours

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Independence is party policy and the party's raison d'etre, so she has to conform anyway. And of course the same reform from within argument applies with the EU too. Like everything Brexit it's riddled with conflicts.

Yes, their oil is a busted flush and oil is so plentiful and unwanted in today's world it's not something to rely on.

I think hate the English is far too strong a word, but the undercurrent of some resentment has existed ever since the act of union. I think it's no accident that broad distinctively Scottish accents are so strong near to the border but near to absent in many more northern areas. An expression of separate identity.

Borders are often a problem, whether artificially created or removed after long existence.
Flecc, can I disagree, the treatment of any arguments presented by Scottish MPs , indicates that unless one is from the Home counties ,one is ignored. Even these euro election statistics ignored Scottish and NI results.

• Agree
Reactions: oyster

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Flecc, can I disagree, the treatment of any arguments presented by Scottish MPs , indicates that unless one is from the Home counties ,one is ignored. Even these euro election statistics ignored Scottish and NI results.
I wouldn't disagree with that, but I can't see that it has any connection with what I posted?

That was just my reading of Nicola Sturgeon's position and a response to Grey's points.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
I wouldn't disagree with that, but I can't see that it has any connection with what I posted?

That was just my reading of Nicola Sturgeon's position and a response to Grey's points.
My point, however poorly put is that it is the continual drip feed of derision rather than 1703 ,which drives the resentment.

• Informative
  • Agree
Reactions: wheeler and flecc

gray198

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 4, 2012
After the last 6 months of Westminster, that is rich.
don't disagree with you on the antics at Westminster, but I am still of the opinion that a large proportion of the blame for that has got to be laid at the feet of the politicians who voted by a large majority to give us a vote on the EU and then tried to overturn it because they got the wrong result. I class all of them as guilty including Nicola Sturgeon. We are supposed to live in a democratic country and Scotland is a part of it. They are doing great long lasting damage to the country, with probably far worse consequences than Brexit itself

• Agree
Reactions: Fingers and 50Hertz

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
I remember having a Diana air rifle. You could see the pellets come out (nearly)
We used to play paint ball without the paint but with airguns... We wore goggles and either Great Coats or Parkers. Amazingly nobody got hurt. Always thought my catapult loaded with ball bearings was loads more dangerous than airgun.. How times " changed...Thank goodness for play stations... And motorbikes.
Anybody remember "Gat guns"? Sort of an air pistol that threw out the pelet... No use of air... Sort of spring operated catapult for pellets. They were even worse than air pistols... Which were pretty crap to start with.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: oldgroaner

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
don't disagree with you on the antics at Westminster, but I am still of the opinion that a large proportion of the blame for that has got to be laid at the feet of the politicians who voted by a large majority to give us a vote on the EU and then tried to overturn it because they got the wrong result. I class all of them as guilty including Nicola Sturgeon. We are supposed to live in a democratic country and Scotland is a part of it. They are doing great long lasting damage to the country, with probably far worse consequences than Brexit itself
Whatever else, she is acting in conformance with her country's wishes at the referendum and subsequently. If only Ms. FOSTER her peer in NI would acted similarly.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
she wants her freedom but begrudges us ours
Which freedom are you referring to?
The right to live all over Europe or just in these islands?
Restricted there by a criminally rigged referendum and what is now a minorities wishes?
What manner of freedom is that?
It's rule by dictat.

wheeler

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2016
Scotland
How can you possibly class Nicola Sturgeon of being guilty of "antics in Westminster".
She is not an MP and could not vote on giving an EU referendum. She has been consistent in her support for Scotland remaining part of the EU. The referendum she is interested in has nothing to do with EU membership.

You perhaps suppose that we live in a democratic country, but despite the 1707 Act of Union creating a union of equals, the enormous population difference between England and Scotland brings about a permanent democratic deficit for Scotland.

• Agree
Reactions: oldgroaner

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
We used to play paint ball without the paint but with airguns... We wore goggles and either Great Coats or Parkers. Amazingly nobody got hurt. Always thought my catapult loaded with ball bearings was loads more dangerous than airgun.. How times " changed...Thank goodness for play stations... And motorbikes.
Anybody remember "Gat guns"? Sort of an air pistol that threw out the pelet... No use of air... Sort of spring operated catapult for pellets. They were even worse than air pistols... Which were pretty crap to start with.
I remember "Gats" but the most dangerous weapon of all was a yard of string with a knot in the end and a penny cane with sharpened end weighted with the thin wire from a bundle of firewood, and the other end split both ways and cardboard flights like a dart fitted into the slots and wired.
With the string turned over the knot and held to the tip of the arrow you had a deadly throwing arrow as it doubled the length of your throwing arm I have seen them puncture a corrugated iron roof on a sport pavilion, and I might add been severely injured by one hitting me.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
How can you possibly class Nicola Sturgeon of being guilty of "antics in Westminster".
She is not an MP and could not vote on giving an EU referendum. She has been consistent in her support for Scotland remaining part of the EU. The referendum she is interested in has nothing to do with EU membership.

You perhaps suppose that we live in a democratic country, but despite the 1707 Act of Union creating a union of equals, the enormous population difference between England and Scotland brings about a permanent democratic deficit for Scotland.
Too true

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
I read some guy who said ' once you put it down you can't pick it up'
Groucho had a great quote
"
From the moment I picked your book up until I laid it down, I was convulsed with laughter. Someday I intend reading it.
Groucho Marx

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
I remember having a Diana air rifle. You could see the pellets come out (nearly)
Remember the three types of ammo? Dart, flat sided and waisted pellets? and the Gat pistol also fired corks apparently they disappeared in the 1980's.. good thing too!

Advertisers