Brexit, for once some facts.

Fingers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 9, 2016
OG the article clearly pointed to the fact that this was a 'method' he uses. The writer was amazed that at a second talk he did.... exactly the same thing. So though perhaps the first time he did it it was spontaneous - on finding out it worked he simply repeated it.

Now to me - so what - this was an after-dinner speech - one that he was brought in and paid to entertain - so I would think this would be the perfect format to deliver exactly what he delivered.

I tried to explain it to him.

He hadn’t read the whole article. Even when he did he still didn’t get it.

Bless.

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
Right. We're not now going to have any second ref, this thing is going to be delivered - one way or another the EU played hard and fast and got rid of May and have now got the very person they probably least wanted - and they only really have themselves to blame.

Go Boris!
Im guessing you are the reincarnation of general custard, the lookout on the titanic or a beneficiary of the trump empire?

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Right. We're not now going to have any second ref, this thing is going to be delivered - one way or another the EU played hard and fast and got rid of May and have now got the very person they probably least wanted - and they only really have themselves to blame.

Go Boris!
I will stick to facts not fantasy. The EU did not play hard and fast ,they played by the rules..the rest is fantasy.

• Agree
Reactions: jonathan.agnew

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
There is no doubt that Tory voters who have gone to Farage will come back when Boris is leader. This is where he has a clear edge over the likes of Hunt or Stewart.

Farage is the main challenger right now - he is the one who has to be dealt with.
In my opinion, Mr Farage is the voice behind the curtain or the Wizard of Oz. By pandering to him,you give him strength and credibility.

• Agree
Reactions: jonathan.agnew

Wicky

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2014
Colchester, Essex
www.jhepburn.co.uk
I like his final question too: 'Is this guy for real?'

I guess we're all about to find out.
Would you hire him?

Johnson's earliest recorded ambition was to be "world king".

Eton school reports complained about his idleness, complacency, and lateness.

Joined the Old Etonian-dominated Bullingdon Club, an upper-class drinking society.

Student Union President - Not seen as particularly distinguished or memorable, and questions were raised regarding his competency and seriousness.

First Job - resigned after a week.

Second Job: Times graduate trainee - Sacked after inventing a quote.

Telegraph: Chris Patten stated Johnson was "one of the greatest exponents of fake journalism" His writings were also a key influence on the emergence of UKIP.

Promoted to the position of assistant editor and chief political columnist.

Accused of bigotry; in one column he used the words "piccannies" and "watermelon smiles" when referring to Africans, and championed European colonialism in Uganda, while in another he referred to gay men as "tank-topped bumboys".

He was consistently late in providing his columns for The Telegraph and The Spectator, forcing many staff to stay late to accommodate him; they related that if they went ahead and published without his work included, he would get angry and shout at them with expletives.

He gained a reputation as a poor political pundit as a result of incorrect political predictions made and was strongly criticised for allowing Spectator to publish racist and antisemitic language in the magazine.

Decided to stand as Conservative candidate for Henley, a Conservative safe seat in Oxfordshire.

In Parliament, Johnson was appointed to a standing committee assessing the Proceeds of Crime Bill, although he missed many of its meetings. Despite his credentials as a public speaker, his speeches in the House of Commons were widely deemed lacklustre; Johnson later called them "crap".

Appointed vice-chairman of the Conservative Party - subsequently sacked for publicly lying.

Dismissed as Editor from The Spectator

Need I go on with his less than illustrious CV which lurches from disaster to disaster.

Yet this turd continues to float and seems unflushable but somehow draws admiration in certain quarters...

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Would you hire him?

Joined the Old Etonian-dominated Bullingdon Club, an upper-class drinking society.

Student Union President - Not seen as particularly distinguished or memorable, and questions were raised regarding his competency and seriousness.

Telegraph: Chris Patten stated Johnson was "one of the greatest exponents of fake journalism" His writings were also a key influence on the emergence of UKIP.

Accused of bigotry; in one column he used the words "piccannies" and "watermelon smiles" when referring to Africans, and championed European colonialism in Uganda, while in another he referred to gay men as "tank-topped bumboys".

He was consistently late in providing his columns for The Telegraph and The Spectator, forcing many staff to stay late to accommodate him; they related that if they went ahead and published without his work included, he would get angry and shout at them with expletives.

He gained a reputation as a poor political pundit as a result of incorrect political predictions made and was strongly criticised for allowing Spectator to publish racist and antisemitic language in the magazine.

Decided to stand as Conservative candidate for Henley, a Conservative safe seat in Oxfordshire.

In Parliament, Johnson was appointed to a standing committee assessing the Proceeds of Crime Bill, although he missed many of its meetings. Despite his credentials as a public speaker, his speeches in the House of Commons were widely deemed lacklustre; Johnson later called them "crap".

Appointed vice-chairman of the Conservative Party - subsequently sacked for publicly lying.

Need I go on with his less than illustrious CV which lurches from disaster to disaster.

Yet this turd continues to float and seems unflushable but somehow draws admiration in certain quarters...
About time all those who have at various times criticised or rumbled him spoke out. In loud and well-publicised voices.

Where is Chris Patten? Those who dismissed him from various roles ("jobs" sounds altogether too onerous for BJ)? Those who have real knowledge and understanding of his character?

Reactions: flecc

50Hertz

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 2, 2019

Go Boris!
I’m pretty sure I’m wasting my time asking this question because so far you have shown absolutely no knowledge of what it is that you want or expect from Brexit. Not a spark of a notion, blank, dumb silence, absolutely nothing.

So, what are the advantages that you expect Boris to deliver for you?

Reactions: Danidl

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
you must read Jeremy Vine's story, very entertaining. The man can write.

QUOTE:

Boris asked for a sheet of paper. Someone produced a piece of A4, the reverse side of our menu for the night. He laid it on his thigh, below the tablecloth.

“Anyone got a pen?” he said. “Quick!”

A biro slid across the table. Very quickly, taking it, the future Mayor of London and Foreign Secretary began to write what looked like a plan for a speech. It was now past nine-thirty. One of the organisers was staring at us imploringly from the other side of the room, as if thinking: “How much longer can we give him?” I felt that pricking of the skin again ― if I could sense the stress on his behalf, what on earth was Boris feeling? This was going to be a catastrophe. He was going onstage in a minute or two with barely-legible notes written on the back of a menu and no idea even of which event he was attending. An after-dinner speaker normally talks for twenty to thirty minutes. How much material did Boris have? Looking at the scrap of paper I could make out very little of what his scrawl said. There seemed to be about ten words. There was one at the very top that I could make out:

SHEEP

and then, a few inches below that, another in capitals:

SHARK

Eighteen months after the marvellous securitisation night, I arrived at an awards ceremony for a totally different industry. I cannot recall whether it was concrete or chiropractors, but once again I had dutifully done my research and brought my script. However, the organisers had asked for only five minutes of opening remarks.

“Is someone else speaking?” I asked.

“Boris Johnson,” the organiser said, a frown appearing on her brow. “Do you know where he is?”

And here we were again. He was due to speak at nine-thirty. He arrived seven or eight minutes before the actual moment, heaving and laughing himself into the chair beside me.

“Jeremy,” he said, “what is this?”

I told him. Others at the table helped. Did they have a pen, paper? Both were produced. A better ballpoint this time, and the back of the menu again. I watched, fascinated, as Boris pulled the paper tight across his thigh and wrote a few words ― yes, SHEEP was definitely one ― in a barely-legible scrawl.

Then he was on.

Johnson became Foreign Secretary after leading the argument for Brexit. He has had his ups and downs ― before deciding that everything he does is part of a brilliant act, we should probably call as evidence his shambolic run at 10 Downing Street in the summer of 2016. His leadership campaign was kyboshed at the very press conference he had booked to launch it. MPs who turned up to support him sat with their jaws slack as he told the world he would not be able to do the job. Surely that was a real accident? People who fake car crashes tend not to get hurt in them.

And yet.

I realised that those two Boris speeches had made me pose the fundamental question, the one that concerns you most when you listen to a politician:

Is this guy for real?
More like the result of an experiment where a mad scientist tried to replicate the Jekyll and Hyde experiment but couldn't find a human guinea pig and had to make do with an Orang Utan, disguised by being shampooed in bleach

Hence the penchant for dangling from Zip wires :oops:

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
No. You didn’t read it all. I don’t know if you have now.

But the message is more stark than the usual generic groaner bingo nonsense you posted.

It’s all an act. He does the same speech all the time. The turning up late, forgetting who’s show it is etc. It’s the same with his hair. Or was. It’s all very sex pistols in the sense they used to put margarine on their faces to develop spots. He simply tussles his hair to prove ‘he doesn’t really care’

It’s all an act and that’s the scary thing. He pretends it’s all off the cuff but it’s strategised to nth degree. He wants you to think he’s an amiable fool.

If you had said that before I would have agreed you. But not now. Next time read it fully before commenting please.

Thank you.
It's not an act, it's an affliction

OxygenJames

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 8, 2012
Would you hire him?

Well. Tough. That's who you're going to get. Suck it in.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
It's not an act, it's an affliction
.. and that is an opinion. , I am with Fingers in this one..an Act , a very long rehearsed act, very amusing no doubt ,on first encounter, but like other simple acts , grows tiresome.
There is a world of difference between the after-dinner speech to a sozzled group,and the keynote address at a conference...where concepts are expected to be logically developed

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

Advertisers