Brexit, for once some facts.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Farage to lead the conservatives or Alistair Campbell to lead Labour.
NF gave up his conservative membership in 1992, protesting against John Major signing the Maastricht treaty.
If he rejoins the conservative party then yes, it's conceivable that he can be PM.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Last edited:

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
It's amazing that you think stopping the UK leaving is a good thing. When we had a vote on it and the result was so clear what we wanted. I still don't get how you justify that. Oh I know what you say - that for some reason you concoct it doesn't matter that we voted and that the leave won.

I get that's what you'll say. But to me that is never a valid justification. Just because you think its wrong does not mean the vote is annulled.

Its weird because you're obviously not stupid. Apart from your ?. thing but I'll let that go. But how you think ignoring that vote is a good thing. How can it be? We voted. So we're supposed to leave. It's that simple.
To the simple everything is simple. Yes a marginal majority of people who voted in 2016 ,voted for some level of sundering with the EU. That is undeniable fact. Now I do not want or have the power ,nor does the EU , have the power to stop the UK , going down a path that is self destructive. I wish you ( the collective 66 million) to come to your senses, and STOP it yourselves, before it is to late. The only vote which mattered was the one in which the MPs voted to enact the Withdrawal from EU Bill.
The salient point is that a significant number of those people who voted leave in 2016, did so in ignorance of the consequences,or the level of sundering which is now envisaged.
Thank you, I do not actually think I am stupid, but perhaps hammering the same message again and again to an uncomprehending audience is the definition of stupidity... However I take comfort from the tenacity of John Hume ,who had to hammer a simple message for 20 years ,before he got through the wall of invincible ignorance.

• Disagree
Reactions: gray198 and Wicky

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
but am I right in saying that Nicola Sturgeon has not been elected as an MP,
She was elected MSP at the 2016 election with a decisive 61.4% of the vote in her constituency, so no problem on that account.

I don't know the Scottish Parliament position, but in the UK parliament a prime minister doesn't need to be an elected MP.

Lord Alec Douglas Home was appointed a Tory PM after he reliquished his title to become merely Sir Alec Douglas Home, but he wasn't of course an elected MP.

gray198

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 4, 2012
NF gave up his conservative membership in 1992, protesting against John Major signing the Maastricht treaty.
If he rejoins the conservative party then yes, it's conceivable that he can be PM.
it was just hypothetical. Wondered if someone could be leader of party without being elected as mp

gray198

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 4, 2012
She was elected MSP at the 2016 election with a decisive 61.4% of the vote in her constituency, so no probelm on that account.

I don't know the Scottish Parliament position, but in the UK parliament a prime minister doesn't need to be an elected MP.

Lord Alec Douglas Home was appointed a Tory PM after he reliquished his title to become merely Sir Alec Douglas Home, but he wasn't of course an elected MP.
you have just answered a question i have just asked

gray198

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 4, 2012
so it is irrelevant as to who is going to be the new even if only voted for by party members

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
it was just hypothetical. Wondered if someone could be leader of party without being elected as mp
the current rules (1922 committe's) do not allow for this possibility.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
It's amazing that you think stopping the UK leaving is a good thing. When we had a vote on it and the result was so clear what we wanted
Allow me to correct you The Vote on it resulted in a marginal victory too small at 4% for even Farage to accept as conclusive.
And that is without even considering the illegality of the result, and the fact that promises that were made have proved to be a pack of lies.

Your problem is that you can't prove leaving the EU will be a good thing, unless you are looking at it from the perspective of loyalty to America, not the UK or the EU.

Nev

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2018
North Wales
thought it was a disaster in all respects. Didn't really get an examination just a lot of hot air compounded by Emily Maitlis posing a question and then trying to tell them the answer herself. She should have gone and left them to argue among themselves. In my opinion a total waste of time.
Agreed, everything about the programme was poor. I didn't like the seats they were on, I didn't like there was no live audience, and they needed someone with a bit more gravitas than Emily Maitlis to present it. I suspect Andrew Neal is not flavour of the month with the BBC hierarchy, but I think he should have been given the task to present it.

Most of the time they just ignored Maitlis, Neil would not have let them get away with that. In fact I doubt they would have even tried it if he had been in charge.

gray198

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 4, 2012
She was elected MSP at the 2016 election with a decisive 61.4% of the vote in her constituency, so no problem on that account.
so why doesn't she represent the SNP at Westminster and instead sends that jumped up English hating Blackford??

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
so why doesn't she represent the SNP at Westminster and instead sends that jumped up English hating Blackford??
That's because she was elected an MSP in the Scottish Parliamentary election to succeed Alex Salmond in that Scottish post. Salmond stepped down from that for election to Westminster in the UK election to become SNP leader in the HoC.

Blackford was elected an MP in the UK election for Westminster and succeeded Salmond, who currently faces sex offence charges.

Last edited:
Reactions: gray198

Advertisers