Brexit, for once some facts.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
I am confused. (Which is usually quite easy to achieve.)

Take this possible scenario: I hop on a ferry from Pembroke Dock to Ireland and do some shopping in Dublin. I then decide to sample the delights of Belfast and do some more shopping. Then, hop on a ferry back direct from Belfast to Birkenhead.

Exactly what rules apply re tax and duties on the items I have bought. How do HMRC get to know about these goods? Do I have to fill in any forms? Or tell a customs officer what I am bringing in?

Bringing goods into the UK after 31 December 2020

Some rules will temporarily change when you bring goods for your own use from the EU to the UK.
This guidance does not apply to bringing goods from Ireland to Northern Ireland.
You can:

• continue to pay tax and duties where you bought them, and bring back an unlimited amount of most goods (including alcohol and tobacco)
  • use your duty-free allowance to bring in a certain amount of goods without paying duty or tax - these are the same as allowances for goods brought in from non-EU countries
  • claim a refund of the VAT you paid where you bought the goods
https://www.gov.uk/duty-free-goods/bringing-goods-uk-after-31-december-2020
Hi confused Oyster, join the club. The way I see it is that the Irish shops in Dublin where you get your Aran Gansai ..(Pullover), will happily sell it to you ,VAT included. If you want to pay less and not pay VAT, they will be less than happy..But they will have provision for that...they deal with lots of USA visitors . They will need to see your passport, and you end up filling up forms with passport numbers . Since these are 100 quid a pop,you might as well get 10.
Now you drive up or take the Enterprise train to Belfast,and you buy coffees on it, with sterling credit card , you pay the VAT on it. Incidentally that transaction is processed in Westmeath. Then you stock up with loads of GoT memorabilia,pay VAT on it and head off home. HMRC at Birkenhead don't care about your purchases,..since they won't even be there, if the ferry was from Belfast. Had you come directly back to Holyhead, they will charge import duty on the Aran Sweaters ,since they are waiting for the Irish boat.

Now if you did pay VAT in Dublin, you have two options. You can accept the cost, or you can go into another channel in the Birkenhead customs house and declare the purchase and you will be charged import duty,up front..You will get a customs receipt. Then you can apply for a rebate on the Irish VAT.,by sending the customs receipt to Irish Revenue at Dublin Castle.

You need to buy a lot of Gansai s to make tgat palatable.

• Informative
Reactions: flecc

tommie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 13, 2013
Co. Down, N. Ireland, U.K.
Hi confused Oyster, join the club. The way I see it is that the Irish shops in Dublin where you get your Aran Gansai ..(Pullover), will happily sell it to you ,VAT included. If you want to pay less and not pay VAT, they will be less than happy..But they will have provision for that...they deal with lots of USA visitors . They will need to see your passport, and you end up filling up forms with passport numbers . Since these are 100 quid a pop,you might as well get 10.
Now you drive up or take the Enterprise train to Belfast,and you buy coffees on it, with sterling credit card , you pay the VAT on it. Incidentally that transaction is processed in Westmeath. Then you stock up with loads of GoT memorabilia,pay VAT on it and head off home. HMRC at Birkenhead don't care about your purchases,..since they won't even be there, if the ferry was from Belfast. Had you come directly back to Holyhead, they will charge import duty on the Aran Sweaters ,since they are waiting for the Irish boat.

Now if you did pay VAT in Dublin, you have two options. You can accept the cost, or you can go into another channel in the Birkenhead customs house and declare the purchase and you will be charged import duty,up front..You will get a customs receipt. Then you can apply for a rebate on the Irish VAT.,by sending the customs receipt to Irish Revenue at Dublin Castle.

You need to buy a lot of Gansai s to make tgat palatable.

Long story - short, don`t bother with Dublin, it`s a dear hole anyway, depart from Belfast, nothing extra to pay.

wheeler

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2016
Scotland
View attachment 33803

a little something to cheer the looooosers up, they really have become such a miserable lot................. Tic-toc...........Tic-toc
heh-heh-heh!!
Something on your keyboard is causing the "o" key to stick. Maybe you got a bit too excited at the thought of all those wonderful things to be delivered by Brexit.

I think you'll find that you are counting down to a non-event, you'd be better resetting your clock to 31 December 2020.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
a little something to cheer the looooosers up, they really have become such a miserable lot................. Tic-toc...........Tic-toc
I think you'll find that you are counting down to a non-event, you'd be better resetting your clock to 31 December 2020.
Better still, wait a few years until the trade deal with the EU is concluded and we'll then know how much leaving cost us.

That will be the time for celebration, if there's anything left to celebrate.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
View attachment 33803

heh-heh-heh!!
Relegation day of Friday I’m expecting all those promises to be kept, aren’t you?
We were promised that we would not have to leave the single market Or the customs union, Food would be cheaper there’s to be more money for the NHS,Full employment, wages would rise,20,000 new nurses, even more policemen, Less crime and the best country in the world to live in, and we would be a global player where everyone would rush to make trade deals with us.
We would make our own rules not be told what to do by America or the EU and there would be new hospitals is all over the place, We would have all the advantages of being in the Eu without paying for it.
Now you may think no one would be gullible enough to believe all of that, but you did, congratulations,They’ve made a mug of you Tommie, But let’s face it it wasn’t difficult was it?
By the way not many of the promises remain of what was offered before the referendum do they?

So what have you actually won?

Boris has left you in the EU! :D :D :D :D

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
There can only be losers if there are winners. I can’t see what’s been won and no one can tell me what they’ve won, so I can only see losers on all sides of the debate.
We've won something that hasn't existed for us for over 100 years and still doesn't exist after winning it, namely sovereignty.

Even the sovereign coin hasn't been common currency for over a century, only minted as an historic coin over that time. I note the most recently minted proof sovereign set is selling at 666 times the face value, a portentous number.

Reactions: Barry Shittpeas

tommie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 13, 2013
Co. Down, N. Ireland, U.K.
And thanks for calling Dublin dear. It is very dear to my heart.
Dear to your heart? Really??
I seem to remember a certain chap heading North to purchase his ebike in the UK and completely blanking those Dublin ebike stores!!

Anyway we unionists do appreciate your business.
Which reminds me, it`s amazing that a vassal State propped up by the EU has its citizens descending on this part of the UK every week-end to do their weekly shopping, the local Home Bargains store is emptied by 5-30 and you can`t get a parking space in our border shopping outlets for love nor money!
Mark my words Irexit is just round the corner

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
We've won something that hasn't existed for us for over 100 years and still doesn't exist after winning it, namely sovereignty.

Even the sovereign coin hasn't been common currency for over a century, only minted as an historic coin over that time. I note the most recently minted proof sovereign set is selling at 666 times the face value, a portentous number.
The number of the Boris!

• Agree

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
I seem to remember a certain chap heading North to purchase his ebike in the UK and completely blanking those Dublin ebike stores!!

Which reminds me, it`s amazing that a vassal State propped up by the EU has its citizens descending on this part of the UK every week-end to do their weekly shopping, the local Home Bargains store is emptied by 5-30 and you can`t get a parking space in our border shopping outlets for love nor money!
Says the man who's vassal province of the UK was dumped by Boris as an inconvenience, and why do you think the people come north to shop?
Because the shops are cheaper,
Not because of the EU when they and you are part of it, and Northern Ireland isn't actually leaving is it?
You live in a fantasy world

• Agree

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
This Brexit thing isn't popular in Scotland and Wales
According to the Daily Mail (so it must be Gospel truth)
Nicola Sturgeon orders officials to keep European flag flying at Scottish parliament
There had been anger among Remainers - and some SNP and Green politicians - after it was decided by the parliamentary corporate body to support a decision to remove the blue and gold starred flag from parliament's grounds.

Thousands signed a petition calling for the decision to be reversed, saying it went against Scotland's choice to back remaining in the European Union in June 2016.

Sturgeon has repeatedly claimed Brexit was being conducted 'against our will' - with the Scottish parliament voting to reject the Brexit deal alongside governments in Northern Ireland and Wales.

Now, according to the Daily Mail, she has ordered officials to keep the European flag flying outside the parliament.

Welsh first minister vows to carry on flying the European flag after Brexit

February 1st 2020 Welcome to the Disunited Kingdom

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
"These products should absolutely be included in a US-UK free trade agreement that will create new markets for farmers from both countries and offer more choices to British and American consumers." he said, calling on the UK food standards agency to "recommend" the products.
My choice is to tell the USA to get lost. I don't want hormone-fed beef or chlorinated chicken. So, please, keep it out of my country.

The main reason to continue banning it is that labelling will never be up to giving the consumers a choice at every step. Maybe if you go to a good butcher, maybe if you buy supermarket fresh chicken. But it simply won't say on menus.

Last edited:
Reactions: oldgroaner

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
So that is what Brexit is worth, not even a pound and selling at under seven quid. Just about sums up leaving.

All our other major events since WW2 have been marked by limited edition proof gold sovereigns worth thousands of pounds.
That attachment makes Firefox crash! Which has its amusing side.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland

Correct, and the Richer Sounds shop behind the Markets is a favourite haunt, as is the Cash Converters adjacent to the Victoria Centre ,.. an amazing eclectic mix of goodies but I buy my Nespresso in Grafton St , not the Victoria centre ,which is more expensive... Its great being a citizen of the world, . Currently I am going every second day to Craigavon, and breakfast at Sainsbury's in Sprucefield is fine. I note however that groceries are not particularly good value,at current exchange rates, but that might change.

You might question why I go via Sprucefield to Craigavon, but the roads are just so poor, even the A1 is frightening, with its intersections.

Last edited:

Advertisers