Brexit, for once some facts.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Indeed, the UK has a record of good compliance with the rules, as our fishermen can testify. Not so many EU countries, I don't think the Italians have or know a word for rules and we all know how strictly VW complied with the emission rules.

I see EU companies being the big winners if there really is open access from N.I.
I'd be tempted to use the word "had" here. Why the prime minster can't even obey our own laws. Or requirements for disclosure of interests as mayor of London.

Reactions: oldgroaner

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
But the term "unfettered" appears to have been applied to both directions. I suspect Barnier can (and will) do something about exports to NI.
the onus is on the buyer to comply with the rules. Goods bound for NI will be partially inspected by the ROI. BJ can say that we won't add to that.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
It feels like media diversionary tactics are in full flow. But, to be fair to the man behind it, it looks like the breaking of the story now is just chance. From the Mirror:

"I've tracked down Lord Lucan", is the "bombshell claim" on the front of the Mirror. The peer vanished 46 years ago following the death of his family nanny, Sandra Rivett. An inquest found Lord Lucan murdered her. Now, the paper reports, Ms Rivett's son believes he has found him in Australia.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I'd be tempted to use the word "had" here. Why the prime minster can't even obey our own laws. Or requirements for disclosure of interests as mayor of London.
Yes, but he's a foreigner. Born in the USA and with Russian, Turkish and other blood, there's not much English in him other than the education.

Johnson's paternal great-grandfather was Circassian-Turkish journalist Ali Kemal who was a secular Muslim; his father's other ancestry includes English, German and French; one of his German ancestors was said to be the illegitimate daughter of Prince Paul of Württemberg and thus a descendant of King George II of Great Britain. This would make him and Elizabeth II 6th cousins twice removed. Through Mary of Teck's connection to Frederick II Eugene, Duke of Württemberg they have a closer genealogical link, as they are 5th cousins twice removed. Johnson's mother is the granddaughter of Elias Avery Lowe, a palaeographer, who was a Russian Jewish immigrant to the US, and Pennsylvania-born Helen Tracy Lowe-Porter, a translator of Thomas Mann. In reference to his varied ancestry, Johnson has described himself as a "one-man melting pot" – with a combination of Abrahamic religions great-grandparents. Johnson was given the middle name "Boris" after a Russian émigré his parents had once met.[10] An episode of Who Do You Think You Are? explored the German origins of his middle name Pfeffel. Through this family line, Boris Johnson is a descendant in the seventh generation of Anna Catharina Bischoff, whose mummified corpse was found in 1975 and identified in 2018.

Last edited:

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Yes, but he's foreigner. Born in the USA and with Russian, Turkish and other blood, there's not much English in him other than the education.

Johnson's paternal great-grandfather was Circassian-Turkish journalist Ali Kemal who was a secular Muslim; his father's other ancestry includes English, German and French; one of his German ancestors was said to be the illegitimate daughter of Prince Paul of Württemberg and thus a descendant of King George II of Great Britain. This would make him and Elizabeth II 6th cousins twice removed. Through Mary of Teck's connection to Frederick II Eugene, Duke of Württemberg they have a closer genealogical link, as they are 5th cousins twice removed. Johnson's mother is the granddaughter of Elias Avery Lowe, a palaeographer, who was a Russian Jewish immigrant to the US, and Pennsylvania-born Helen Tracy Lowe-Porter, a translator of Thomas Mann. In reference to his varied ancestry, Johnson has described himself as a "one-man melting pot" – with a combination of Abrahamic religions great-grandparents. Johnson was given the middle name "Boris" after a Russian émigré his parents had once met.[10] An episode of Who Do You Think You Are? explored the German origins of his middle name Pfeffel. Through this family line, Boris Johnson is a descendant in the seventh generation of Anna Catharina Bischoff, whose mummified corpse was found in 1975 and identified in 2018.
A remarkable pedigree, I doubt that even our cat, which came from the rescue centre could beat it

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
if we don't want to stop contraband coming to the UK via Belfast then there is nothing Mr Barnier can do.
And why would he want to?.
the onus is on the buyer to comply with the rules. Goods bound for NI will be partially inspected by the ROI. BJ can say that we won't add to that.
Goods coming on the ferries from France..the usual direct continental gateway, are xrayed at the major ports, primarily for cigarettes,which attract higher revenue in Ireland. Cars on transporters ,which have a heafty VRT etc, will be obvious. However 10,000 microwave ovens on pallets will be waved through.

Nev

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2018
North Wales
Boris has proved that he isn't just incompetent, he's quicker at making bad decisions than the average incompetent politician
This makes for interesting reading in just what may be ahead in the negotiations.

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
lol, you really are taking this bad,
so pray tell, wise sage, just for the simpletons on here where indeed you would put your comma??!!
There isn't a comma missing at all. Oxford Press confirmed, what anybody with slightest knowledge of it's use already knew, 2 days ago. The vitriol against Brexit, Boris and Government is quite pathetic at moment. Folk showing their petty natures. Especially ironic when we consider there is no alternative to present lot. Unless, ofcourse, you wanted Len McCluskey running country.
I wonder where we would currently be under a Labour government. Going nowhere. Not in, not out, getting nothing through parliament, trying to sort yet another deal out yet waiting to vote on it. Yes, wouldnt that be wonderful.
It all wants leaving alone for a couple of years. Let the cards fall, lets see what Boris makes of it. He, s had about 5 weeks. He, s going to get at least 5 years,peobably more. Judge in 3 years. Labour might have a viable leader and party by then, but doubtful.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: tommie

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
A remarkable pedigree, I doubt that even our cat, which came from the rescue centre could beat it
I am happy to give our cat (also rescued) house room. And garden room. And everywhere else room.

If the person were to arrive on the doorstep, I'd like to think I would send him packing in a way that has sometimes caused a twitter storm. (Probably be too slow at thinking up suitable words unless there were advance notice.)

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Judge in 3 years. Labour might have a viable leader and party by then, but doubtful.
Tories might have a viable leader and party by then, but doubtful.

They certainly aren't viable now. Johnson is blatantly lying about the border to N.I., also about the customs rules, also about the trade deal. And his party is breaking up already over the departure terms, over the trade deal plans and over using Huawei.

And his defiance of US wishes is threatening our trading prospects with them.

The link in Nev's post pretty much sums it all up. Though its content is long, it's worth reading right through to see how Johnson hasn't a clue what he's doing. He's obviously winging it and hoping for the best.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
There isn't a comma missing at all. Oxford Press confirmed, what anybody with slightest knowledge of it's use already knew, 2 days ago. The vitriol against Brexit, Boris and Government is quite pathetic at moment. Folk showing their petty natures. Especially ironic when we consider there is no alternative to present lot. Unless, ofcourse, you wanted Len McCluskey running country.
I wonder where we would currently be under a Labour government. Going nowhere. Not in, not out, getting nothing through parliament, trying to sort yet another deal out yet waiting to vote on it. Yes, wouldnt that be wonderful.
It all wants leaving alone for a couple of years. Let the cards fall, lets see what Boris makes of it. He, s had about 5 weeks. He, s going to get at least 5 years,peobably more. Judge in 3 years. Labour might have a viable leader and party by then, but doubtful.
BS even for you

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
many of us would have died before seeing a Labour government.
I watch Marr and O Neil interviewing McCluskey and thought to myself: Labour is doomed until that dinosaur dies.

• Agree
Reactions: Nev and Zlatan

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
Tories might have a viable leader and party by then, but doubtful.

They certainly aren't viable now. Johnson is blatantly lying about the border to N.I., also about the customs rules, also about the trade deal. And his party is breaking up already over the departure terms, over the trade deal plans and over using Huawei.

And his defiance of US wishes is threatening our trading prospects with them.

The link in Nev's post pretty much sums it all up. Though its content is long, it's worth reading right through to see how Johnson hasn't a clue what he's doing. He's obviously winging it and hoping for the best.
But Johnson is in power, he doesnt need to be seen as viable. He, s got there. He can do what he wants for at least 3 years... Whatever we all say or do is just noise, not opposition in the slightest.
For what its worth we might aswell go and shout from end of your street on a foggy dark night with nobody listening.
Its utterly pointless and futile.
His job is now amongst safest in country,even if he fails miserably nobody will replace him.
Not sure why OG thought my last post BS. Its fact. Perhaps OG could clarify instead of shouting at the moon.
Time to face facts. Tories are in power with strongest majority for years. Opposition is in disarray and getting more so. There is no viable alternative to Boris, either in his party or any others. He, s in power for 5 years, which way things are looking will easily become 8.We are leaving EU.
But its s free country. Carry on wailing and whining. Its quite funny.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc and tommie

tommie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 13, 2013
Co. Down, N. Ireland, U.K.

tommie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 13, 2013
Co. Down, N. Ireland, U.K.
But its s free country. Carry on wailing and whining. Its quite funny.
Yes, highly amusing to see the desperation and panic setting in - like a sackful of weasels thrashing around snapping at each other,

they really have to lean to accept defeat with a bit of class,

There is a difference between getting defeated and feeling defeated. Instead of dwelling upon what went wrong, try to focus your attention on what you can do right next time. Remind yourself that this too shall pass. Try to let go of what you cannot change and do your best to be respectful toward whomever or whatever has defeated you.

• Disagree
Reactions: Zlatan and flecc

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Yes, highly amusing to see the desperation and panic setting in - like a sackful of weasels thrashing around snapping at each other,
it's more of a mourning for Labour with RLB set to replace JC.
Brexit is a problem for the conservative party, no other party supports it.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

Advertisers