Brexit, for once some facts.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
What kind of conversion is it? I've a brompton I want to convert, but need exercise and want a torque sensor and all available conversions seem movement sensored
Mine is as basic as you can get, it is a motorised front wheel with throttle control.
Which means you can have as little or as much assist as you fancy.
Actually that works very well!
Pedalling along while applying just the amount of assist you require is great for controlling how much excercise you get, it works well in my humble opinion, I can't see what advantage would be gained by making the mix automatic.
It's odd but the simplest system seems to give the most control!
My other two bikes are different
The Viking ECo is Pedelec
The Woosh Big Bear pedelec and throttle.

Last edited:

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015

daveboy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2012
pontefract
Large numbers of them see the burka wearing as preferable, since it releases them from the twin tyrannies of makeup and fashion. Western women often feel obliged to use these to conform, which can become increasingly stressful as they age.

And anyway, we do similar to the burka driving our cars with dark tinted windows, like mine:

View attachment 33972
If the women wanted to cover their face they could just wear the Niqab. The full Burka is to keep the women inline.
If the women wanted to wear a Burka in 40 degree heat they would wear a white one.
I once saw a Saudi Prince on TV say women wear black Burkas because it is cooler, When asked why the men wear white he stomped off.
1aad.jpg

• Disagree
  • :D
Reactions: flecc and Woosh

Barry Shittpeas

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 1, 2020
If the women wanted to cover their face they could just wear the Niqab. The full Burka is to keep the women inline.
If the women wanted to wear a Burka in 40 degree heat they would wear a white one.
I once saw a Saudi Prince on TV say women wear black Burkas because it is cooler, When asked why the men wear white he stomped off.
View attachment 33986
I don't really care what they wear, it's not my business. But I do wonder if women choose to wear a Burka or if they do so under duress. I suspect it's under duress, because given the range of clothing available, a Burka is probably the last thing anyone would choose to wear. It was probably on the front pages of Vogue in the 1100s, but not today. It's a method of reminding their women that they have a very minor part to play.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
But I do wonder if women choose to wear a Burka or if they do so under duress.
I suspect the durress is not so much from members of their family as from tradition and culture. Compare Iranian women for example to Saudi women.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
But I do wonder if women choose to wear a Burka or if they do so under duress. I suspect it's under duress, because given the range of clothing available, a Burka is probably the last thing anyone would choose to wear.
Not so, that's far Western bias and the proof is out there.

Saudi Arabia liberalised the dress code some while ago and the youngest and prettiest often dress in Western style. But very large numbers of women have stuck with the burka there and say they prefer it.

The burka is even widely seen in Turkey where there's never been a strict dress code, and it's use there has greatly voluntarily increased since their women strongly backed Islam supporting President Erdoğan coming into power.

And the view on preferring wearing white is obviously wrong, though technically correct. In the hot Mediterranean countries women commonly wear all black for the rest of their lives after getting married, my own Italian grandmother did, so I never saw her in anything other than black. You see the same in Greece.

I go by the facts, not the prejudice.

Last edited:

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
From the Guardian
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/dec/13/daniel-hannan-mep-group-told-to-repay-half-a-million-in-eu-funds

This article is more than 1 year old
Daniel Hannan's MEP group told to repay €535,000 in EU funds
This article is more than 1 year old
Exclusive: Alliance of Conservatives and Reformists in Europe accused of hosting luxury events of little relevance to EU
Amazing how things like this don't come out before General Elections isn't it?
Which election? 2017 or 2019.

Barry Shittpeas

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 1, 2020
Not so, that's far Western bias and the proof is out there.

Saudi Arabia liberalised the dress code some while ago and the youngest and prettiest often dress in Western style. But very large numbers of women have stuck with the burka there and say they prefer it.

The burka is even widely seen in Turkey where there's never been a strict dress code, and it's use there has greatly voluntarily increased since their women strongly backed Islam supporting President Erdoğan coming into power.

And the view on preferring wearing white is obviously wrong, though technically correct. In the hot Mediterranean countries women commonly wear all black for the rest of their lives after getting married, my own Italian grandmother did, so I never saw her in anything other than black. You see the same in Greece.

I go by the facts, not the prejudice.
In Saudi Arabia, wearing a Burka is probably a better outcome than being rolled up in a four metre length of carpet, and then set on fire in a disused car park because you bring shame on the family. Don’t say it doesn’t happen.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Boris is facing a bit of a Revolt from his minions over the Huawei decision, possibly their Russian donors, Or even their American ones aren’t happy with the decision.
Could it be that Boris isn’t his free to act as he imagines himself to be?

• Agree
Reactions: oyster and flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
In Saudi Arabia, wearing a Burka is probably a better outcome than being rolled up in a four metre length of carpet, and then set on fire in a disused car park because you bring shame on the family. Don’t say it doesn’t happen.
Odd isolated cases where women have been unfaithful have nothing whatsoever to do with burka wearing.

There is no pressure to wear a burka in Saudi Arabia, nor even to cover the face, women are simply required to dress modestly and western clothing is entirely acceptable. The female dress code was established quite a while ago by Princess Ameerah. In fact they are opening a large Red Sea beach where bikinis may be worn, a far cry from burkas.

The world changes over time and it's necessary to keep pace.

Reactions: robdon

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Another of his flagship ideas of recruiting 20,000 new policemen Is criticised as inadequate, and he’s been urged to increase that to 50,000, If he cocks up Brexit even then it won’t be enough

• Agree
Reactions: flecc and oyster

Barry Shittpeas

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 1, 2020
Odd isolated cases where women have been unfaithful have nothing whatsoever to do with burka wearing.

There is no pressure to wear a burka in Saudi Arabia, nor even to cover the face, women are simply required to dress modestly and western clothing is entirely acceptable. The female dress code was established quite a while ago by Princess Ameerah. In fact they are opening a large Red Sea beach where bikinis may be worn, a far cry from burkas.

The world changes over time and it's necessary to keep pace.
Wherever the truth lies, I don’t really care as long as they don’t start exporting their 7th Century lifestyle. I certainly don’t think we should be bombing or machine-gunning Western values into them. If they want to behead, engage in crucifixion or stone women to death, that’s just the way it rolls out there.

• Agree
Reactions: daveboy and flecc

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Boris is facing a bit of a Revolt from his minions over the Huawei decision, possibly their Russian donors, Or even their American ones aren’t happy with the decision.
Could it be that Boris isn’t his free to act as he imagines himself to be?
Reportedly:

The remarks came after it was reported that Donald Trump blasted Johnson with “apoplectic” rage during a phone call regarding the 5G move.

Reactions: oldgroaner

Barry Shittpeas

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 1, 2020
Another of his flagship ideas of recruiting 20,000 new policemen Is criticised as inadequate, and he’s been urged to increase that to 50,000, If he cocks up Brexit even then it won’t be enough
20000 would probably be ok if they had a cull of senior officers and appointed some new ones who could actually do the job. Also if they gave officers the discretion and backing to tell members of the public to F Right Off when they are reporting childish crap to them because they’ve fallen out with their neighbour, or something equally stupid. Also I think officers should be free to commit low level assaults on feral children.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Wherever the truth lies, I don’t really care as long as they don’t start exporting their 7th Century lifestyle. I certainly don’t think we should be bombing or machine-gunning Western values into them. If they want to behead, engage in crucifixion or stone women to death, that’s just the way it rolls out there.
Agreed, it's their business. But Crown Prince Mohammad bin Salman has been actively modernising the country, aided by Princess Ameerah.

It's some of the women who have been most active in their disapproval and support for traditional Muslim values, just as it's been in Turkey. Obviously this gives the lie to the contention that the men are still oppressing the women in matters like the dress code, though that was true historically.

If you are looking for a villain in these respects, it's Iran's clerics.

Last edited:

Barry Shittpeas

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 1, 2020
Agreed, it's their business. But Crown Prince Mohammad bin Salman has been actively modernising the country, aided by Princess Ameerah.

It's some of the women who have been most active in their disapproval and support for traditional Muslim values, just as it's been in Turkey. Obviously this gives the lie to the contention that the men are still oppressing the women in matters like the dress code, though that was true historically.

If you are looking for a villain in these respects, it's Iran's clerics.
I was looking for the, I’m not too sure about that, emoji, but there doesn’t appear to be one.

Advertisers