Brexit, for once some facts.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Can't be right. It has "HONI SOIT QUI MAL Y PENSE" in the middle.

The metallic bit still looks out of focus to my eyes.

How do you recycle a passport? Given the fusing of the polycarbonate and paper it would appear to be impossible.

Oh, and why is he on an aeroplane? Thought he was hiding in Kent.

Edit again. Not everyone is so stupid as to think this is a moment of unalloyed joy (and the Guardian didn't publish a photo of "him"):

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/feb/22/blue-brexit-passports-issued-redesign-eu

Last edited:

Barry Shittpeas

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 1, 2020
I hear that UCL are proposing to ban intimate relationships between students and staff. More London ******* type thinking. How is this going to be policed? How will evidence be gathered? Who will consider the evidence and decide is the relationship is friendly or intimate?

I was watching a motormouth woman, with a face like a partially chewed caramel, on BBC news. She was really going for it, saying that the ban was essential. She managed to talk continuously, without pausing to take in air, for about 3 minutes. Maybe the problem is that caramel face isn’t getting any of the student action?

Last edited:

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Dead easy. Post graduation just compare the actual knowledge with the qualification given. Any excess of the latter over the former indicates guilt, the degree of excess the frequency of the copulation.
I could write an equation for that!

• :D
Reactions: flecc

PeterPi

Pedelecer
Oct 1, 2019
Our environment secretary has announced:

House coal and wet wood to be phased out by 2023 to cut pollution

Really don't know how they will police it?

Re manufactured solid fuel, nothing I have ever had to burn in a fire/stove has ever had such a disgustingly strong sulphurous fume emission as Phurnacite.

I had just see two-tonne deliveries with a scrap of wet paper advising how to dry it all out.

(Mind, round here, the smokey stink when people light their fires/stoves has been horrible. And there do seem to be a lot of them. So part of me is happy.)
I cut my own and dry it for at least twelve months. I don't have a device for measuring the water content but the weight tells you how much there is and you soon get used to making a judgement. I suppose I could measure the electrical conductivity and get a more precise measurement after a bit of comparison and calibration. Might give that a try.

PeterPi

Pedelecer
Oct 1, 2019
It almost is .....

Obviously I’m not talking about the embedded control and signalling functions which frankly only the manufacturer should have control over, but the bit that applications talk to is pretty much open source. Nokia are pushing their API , and whilst I’m sure non-disclosure agreements would be comprehensive they say about their application interface, The 3GPP-compliant 5G Nokia Network Exposure Function (NEF) achieves this by exposing third-party open Application Programming Interfaces (APIs) to other applications.
What is the GCHQ view on Huawei? If they are in favour, are our spies going to be spying on their spies. Where's my tin foil hat.:cool:

PeterPi

Pedelecer
Oct 1, 2019
The Chinese offerings let you run your own software on their supplied hardware, that does not stop them embed spy stuff but they are more open compared to their competitors.
If I'm ever pulled for doing more than 25 KPH, I shall blame Chinese hackers corrupting my firmware. Very unlikely though, as even being on two wheels is a white knuckle ride when you get to my age. :)

• :D
Reactions: flecc and Woosh

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Twitter fun
BBC News - Lord Bichard: Retired people could do work for pensions

Retired people could be encouraged to do community work such as caring for the "very old" or face losing some of their pension, a peer has suggested.

Lord Bichard, a former benefits chief, said "imaginative" ideas were needed to meet the cost of an ageing society.
And although such a move might be controversial, it would stop older people being a "burden on the state".

My tweet

Replying to
@daverain and@brexit_sham
Never was there a more apt title than his Michael George Bichard, Baron Bichard, KNOB
How very appropriate!
by the way he said this in 2012

• Informative
Reactions: Wicky

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
What is the GCHQ view on Huawei? If they are in favour, are our spies going to be spying on their spies. Where's my tin foil hat.:cool:
HCSEC started in 2010- 10 years ago, to look into every piece of hardware that Huawei supply.
Our guys know more about Huawei kits perhaps than Huawei's guys themselves.
This is of course not paralleled by the other 3 5G telecom suppliers.
That does not mean that the PCBs can't hide spy/kill switch chips but then, you could say same about any electronic stuff on sale.
I always suspect the cheap webcams or smart TV chips containing spy codes.

Reactions: PeterPi

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
If I'm ever pulled for doing more than 25 KPH, I shall blame Chinese hackers corrupting my firmware. Very unlikely though, as even being on two wheels is a white knuckle ride when you get to my age. :)
how about blaming your poor age related eyesight when setting the wheel's diameter to 20" instead of 700C and read the speed in kph?

Reactions: PeterPi and flecc

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
HCSEC started in 2010- 10 years ago, to look into every piece of hardware that Huawei supply.
Our guys know more about Huawei kits perhaps than Huawei's guys themselves.
This is of course not paralleled by the other 3 5G telecom suppliers.
That does not mean that the PCBs can't hide spy/kill switch chips but then, you could say same about any electronic stuff on sale.
Huawei probably copied their so called code from our guys who secretly leaked it to them, after they had stolen it from America, who in turn got it through a deliberate leak in Moscow
That came from North Korea.

"Big fleas have little fleas upon their backs to bite 'em
And little fleas have smaller fleas
Reverse engineering every item"

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Huawei probably copied their so called code from our guys who secretly leaked it to them, after they had stolen it from America, who in turn got it through a deliberate leak in Moscow
That came from North Korea.

"Big fleas have little fleas upon their backs to bite 'em
And little fleas have smaller fleas
Reverse engineering every item"
that sounds plausible!
Essex Uni is a stone throw from our shop,its campus is mainly occupied by Chinese student, even nearer to us (about 50m) and they all have wealthy parents, as says Hatti's friend who runs the arts shop in our street.
They don't need to steal, they are educated by our universities!
and even our best: 25% of science students in Cambridge are Chinese.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
I cut my own and dry it for at least twelve months. I don't have a device for measuring the water content but the weight tells you how much there is and you soon get used to making a judgement. I suppose I could measure the electrical conductivity and get a more precise measurement after a bit of comparison and calibration. Might give that a try.
I suspect that weight and your judgement, assuming it really is based on experience, is likely better than an electrical measurement. So much depends on precisely how the probes connect.

However, as a confirmation, and out of interest, yes, do let us know.

gw8izr

Pedelecer
Jan 1, 2020
Far too unpredictable, finding those devices across multiple network sectors and determining what the output or effect on deployment is way to hit and miss, you would need to work out the end user application before deployment which means before sale and marketing... way back in design. Far easier and more intelligent to deploy in software that can even be adapted once it calls home.

Yes they punch holes in firewalls from the inside where they have been trusted by the owner, much more intelligent setup if you so wanted to deploy. Most say that they don’t care ‘cos nothing of interest happens on ‘my camera’ but it’s not the camera that matters, it’s the code sitting inside your firewall

I’ve wiresharked cheap web cams and seen stuff happening that I couldn’t explain, it might well have been benign, but unexpected so they went in the bin..

And that’s why I don’t care who builds the hardware for 5g, the risk is the same whoever it is and the biggest risk is the user and their terminals. That’s why the operator and legislators do what they do AND despite mistrust by some, they know what they are doing.

Advertisers