Brexit, for once some facts.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I’ve wiresharked cheap web cams and seen stuff happening that I couldn’t explain, it might well have been benign, but unexpected so they went in the bin..
If I were to add a spy function, I would simply add my time server in addition to the usual list NTP servers.
The device will appear to innocently run through the list of NTP servers regularly... who is going to suspect me?
I bin anything that requires a phone app.

gw8izr

Pedelecer
Jan 1, 2020
I cut my own and dry it for at least twelve months. I don't have a device for measuring the water content but the weight tells you how much there is and you soon get used to making a judgement. I suppose I could measure the electrical conductivity and get a more precise measurement after a bit of comparison and calibration. Might give that a try.
IME contact probes make more difference than the moisture content, I tried making a 4 wire bridge setup which I believe is what the commercial devices are, using my Agilent 32 channel mux to measure but even that was unreliable. Measurement of some ash which was seasoned many years just a bit of rain splashing into th log store made a huge difference.

Some years ago I at a friends house in Hungary, we were eating smoked ham, home killed.
It was lovely and I asked him what wood he used, quick as a flash he replied Europallet ;-)

It was oak actually but we had been drinking lots of Pálinka

Anyway my burner is currently well stoked and the flue is about 400f while I’m sat watching the rugby, life is good ;-)

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Jussie Smollet is in big trouble now. According to this, he'll be sentenced on Monday. I hope they give him a long sentence. What he did was positively evil. All the anti-white film stars, news presenters, politicians and other members of the elite, who crowed about the racism against him are really looking really stupid now. Kim Foxx, the state's attourney, who dropped all the charges against him the first time should also be prosecuted for perverting the course of justice or whatever they have over there.

Last edited:

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Now this is interesting
In the Times
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/backers-cash-in-on-virus-test-success-s0qr582pk
Backers cash in on virus test success
A surge in the value of a biotechnology company developing a test for the coronavirus has prompted a string of investors to cash in financial contracts potentially worth millions of pounds.

Novacyt — which is listed on Aim, London’s junior market, and the Paris division of the Euronext exchange — soared in value this month after it told shareholders that it had applied for fast-track approval from regulators in the United States for its test for the deadly virus, known as Covid-19.

The company’s London-listed shares rose from 14p at the turn of the year to a high of 166p last week. The increase in value of more than 1,000 per cent appears to have prompted investors sitting on warrants that might be highly valuable

This is odd, why does news of a "Test" rather than a "cure" cause such excitement?

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Ken Clarke
Said Dominic Cummings must now vanish
I tweeted
And never darken no 10's toilet rolls again

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
This amused me
"
Met Office

@metoffice
·
8h
Monday’s forecast indicates that an area of low pressure will affect the UK. We have issued Yellow warnings for this but the weather system is NOT a named storm and #StormEllen has currently NOT been named
my response
Is that because the last one hasn't stopped yet?

• Informative
Reactions: oyster

gw8izr

Pedelecer
Jan 1, 2020
This amused me
"
Met Office

@metoffice
·
8h
Monday’s forecast indicates that an area of low pressure will affect the UK. We have issued Yellow warnings for this but the weather system is NOT a named storm and #StormEllen has currently NOT been named
my response
Is that because the last one hasn't stopped yet?
Storm Ellen is currently stir frying pheasant for my evening meal, I’ll let her know

PeterPi

Pedelecer
Oct 1, 2019
IME contact probes make more difference than the moisture content, I tried making a 4 wire bridge setup which I believe is what the commercial devices are, using my Agilent 32 channel mux to measure but even that was unreliable. Measurement of some ash which was seasoned many years just a bit of rain splashing into th log store made a huge difference.

Some years ago I at a friends house in Hungary, we were eating smoked ham, home killed.
It was lovely and I asked him what wood he used, quick as a flash he replied Europallet ;-)

It was oak actually but we had been drinking lots of Pálinka

Anyway my burner is currently well stoked and the flue is about 400f while I’m sat watching the rugby, life is good ;-)
It's been a mild winter and the logs I was going to burn this winter. spruce and ash dropped in June 2018, will be even drier than last year.

I'm thinking of buying some seasoned logs and trying to measure the moisture content by checking the insulation resistance drilling two holes in the log and using a megger to measure the insulation resistance between the two. Only a starting point and we shall see.

Reactions: gw8izr

gw8izr

Pedelecer
Jan 1, 2020
It's been a mild winter and the logs I was going to burn this winter. spruce and ash dropped in June 2018, will be even drier than last year.

I'm thinking of buying some seasoned logs and trying to measure the moisture content by checking the insulation resistance drilling two holes in the log and using a megger to measure the insulation resistance between the two. Only a starting point and we shall see.
I burn smokeless coal cobbles in this weather as it means less trips outside but logs run on this stove quite well, it’s a multi fuel grate which means the riddle burns a bit on logs so I have a half inch boiler plate sitting on it to protect it. Anyway it’s nice and warm now and the glass of red will help reduce the feeling from the rugby ( I must nip to the bottle and check it’s not French )

Reactions: PeterPi

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
This is odd, why does news of a "Test" rather than a "cure" cause such excitement?
Project fear?
More people would buy it compared to a cure.

Reactions: oldgroaner

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Possibly no-one would be offered the cure until they had been tested. Hence, more doses of test than cure (assuming not every test is positive).
I think our natural immune system can cope with CV.
I get free flu jab every year because of my diabetes. I guess they will add CV19 to the flu jab this year.
Few % of the population would need a cure.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
I think our natural immune system can cope with CV.
I get free flu jab every year because of my diabetes. I guess they will add CV19 to the flu jab this year.
Few % of the population would need a cure.
If we could identify which subset of the population is most likely to suffer most, and which are most likely to die, then we could target any cure. Trouble seems to be that there are few, if any, hints as to who is most at risk. If we don't know who, we might decide it is best to try to treat everyone with covid-19.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
isn't it true that there is no cure to viruses, especially the cold and flu viruses?
Millions die every year of them and still no cure.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Huawei probably copied their so called code from our guys who secretly leaked it to them, after they had stolen it from America, who in turn got it through a deliberate leak in Moscow
That came from North Korea.

"Big fleas have little fleas upon their backs to bite 'em
And little fleas have smaller fleas
Reverse engineering every item"
Which reminds me...

gw8izr

Pedelecer
Jan 1, 2020
isn't it true that there is no cure to viruses, especially the cold and flu viruses?
Millions die every year of them and still no cure.
I was always under the impression that there where hundreds of different rhinovirus strains and trying to find a generic fix was impossible ( unlike targeting measles etc ) but maybe there are bigger fish to fry as pretty much everyone healthy gets through a cold by just being miserable and coughing all over me

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Th
I burn smokeless coal cobbles in this weather as it means less trips outside but logs run on this stove quite well, it’s a multi fuel grate which means the riddle burns a bit on logs so I have a half inch boiler plate sitting on it to protect it. Anyway it’s nice and warm now and the glass of red will help reduce the feeling from the rugby ( I must nip to the bottle and check it’s not French )
That was an exciting last five minutes... I kinda hoped Wales would do the business. It would have blunted France's chance of a grand slam... Now if Ireland can do the business tomorrow, the final match in the season will be a cracker.

Reactions: gw8izr

Advertisers