Brexit, for once some facts.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Wow! we've got the EU on it's Knees!
In the Express
"
Brexit victory: Trade talks to be held in English as EU made to pay for French translation
BRUSSELS will be made to fork out for French translators after Boris Johnson won the race to hold upcoming trade talks in English.

Make them drink Yorkshire Tea too! :cool:

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Even the Sun isn't happy with Boris
https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/11067371/sun-says-get-a-grip-pm/
THE SUN SAYS The coronavirus crisis has not been Boris’s finest hour… it’s time he gets a grip on the panic
COMMENT
He may have thought staying off TV and radio gave the impression of a statesman working frantically behind the scenes. But it did leave a vacuum.

The PM needs to be seen tackling this crisis.

He does plan to announce new emergency powers and lead a COBRA meeting on Monday, but some are wondering why he is waiting that long.

Coronavirus is causing global pandemonium. Thousands are dead, including the first Brit. Economies are paralysed, stock markets in freefall. The sporting calendar may be binned.

Britain is spooked. We need to know the risks, the best advice and what our Government is doing to screen all possible victims and minimise infection.

Those countries managing to contain the virus best are highly disciplined about testing, isolation, hygiene and so on. We must be too.

Our famous stoicism must not become a complacency which spreads the disease like wildfire.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Even the Sun isn't happy with Boris
https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/11067371/sun-says-get-a-grip-pm/
THE SUN SAYS The coronavirus crisis has not been Boris’s finest hour… it’s time he gets a grip on the panic
COMMENT
He may have thought staying off TV and radio gave the impression of a statesman working frantically behind the scenes. But it did leave a vacuum.

The PM needs to be seen tackling this crisis.

He does plan to announce new emergency powers and lead a COBRA meeting on Monday, but some are wondering why he is waiting that long.

Coronavirus is causing global pandemonium. Thousands are dead, including the first Brit. Economies are paralysed, stock markets in freefall. The sporting calendar may be binned.

Britain is spooked. We need to know the risks, the best advice and what our Government is doing to screen all possible victims and minimise infection.

Those countries managing to contain the virus best are highly disciplined about testing, isolation, hygiene and so on. We must be too.

Our famous stoicism must not become a complacency which spreads the disease like wildfire.
That the hand washing advice has only just become something the political people are emphasising suggests two things. (Yes, it has been mentioned in a sort of low key way by journos.) First, they haven't got anything else to give us. Second, they have been extraorinarily slow at getting even that paltry advice out.

I'll take this opportunity to remind everyone of the symbolism of hand washing by those in charge...

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
Feeling grumpy, are you?
You omitted to mention our fans at GCHQ and Menwith Hill
They wont be pleased :cool:
You really have lost it OG. GCHQ reading your thread? I think you really believe it too. If it keeps you happy I suppose.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
You really have lost it OG. GCHQ reading your thread? I think you really believe it too. If it keeps you happy I suppose.
I would expect that these organisations have automated text scanning software reading almost everything published on the web in these user forums. Where other than an obscure little publication dealing with minority interests would one place covert messages?.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
You know those drama series, where an initially believable plot gets extended, perverted, twisted, pushed and pulled beyond the point at which anyone continues to watch unless they have mislaid their remote control? Johnson's so-called government is getting there...

The top civil servant in the Home Office has resigned and said he intends to claim against the government for constructive dismissal.

Sir Philip Rutnam said there had been a "vicious and orchestrated" campaign against him in Home Secretary Priti Patel's office.

Reported tensions between the pair included claims she mistreated officials - which she has denied.

The BBC's Laura Kuenssberg said Sir Philip's move was "highly unusual".

Our political editor added: "I can't remember a senior public official taking a step like this."

Sir Philip, who has had a career spanning 33 years, said he received allegations that Ms Patel's conduct towards employees included "shouting and swearing" and "belittling people".

• Informative
Reactions: oldgroaner

Wicky

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2014
Colchester, Essex
www.jhepburn.co.uk
You know those drama series, where an initially believable plot gets extended, perverted, twisted, pushed and pulled beyond the point at which anyone continues to watch unless they have mislaid their remote control? Johnson's so-called government is getting there...

The top civil servant in the Home Office has resigned and said he intends to claim against the government for constructive dismissal.

Sir Philip Rutnam said there had been a "vicious and orchestrated" campaign against him in Home Secretary Priti Patel's office.

Reported tensions between the pair included claims she mistreated officials - which she has denied.

The BBC's Laura Kuenssberg said Sir Philip's move was "highly unusual".

Our political editor added: "I can't remember a senior public official taking a step like this."

Sir Philip, who has had a career spanning 33 years, said he received allegations that Ms Patel's conduct towards employees included "shouting and swearing" and "belittling people".
i'm sure Cummings is rubbing his hands in joy. It's much like Trump's (and all other Autocratic) leaders playbook wanting to replace 'deep state' Govt personnel / Courts with party loyalists.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Patel is becoming an embarrassment to Boris, will he ditch the awful woman?
He should never have appointed her in the first instance, Home Secretary is one of the three most important offices of state and the post should only be filled by those of the highest standards.

The fact that only a short while ago she had been forced to resign due to misconduct in a previous cabinet post to my mind disqualifed her as someone suitable for such a high ranking and vital position.

This is typical of Boris Johnson though, when elected London Mayor his first four appointments to the top posts all had to be got rid of very quickly, for either their criminal records or incompetence.

Last edited:

Barry Shittpeas

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 1, 2020
He should never have appointed her in the first instance, Home Secretary is one of the three most important offices of state and trhe post should only be filled by those of the highest standards.
This depends on the pool from which you are selecting the talent to fill the posts. Perhaps an incompetent, forced to resign from a previous post due to mis-conduct is the best out there. That could well represent "the highest standards" currently available?

• :D
Reactions: flecc and oyster

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
This depends on the pool from which you are selecting the talent to fill the posts. Perhaps an incompetent, forced to resign from a previous post due to mis-conduct is the best out there. That could well represent "the highest standards" currently available?
Which is pretty <ho, ho> damning.

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
i'm sure Cummings is rubbing his hands in joy. It's much like Trump's (and all other Autocratic) leaders playbook wanting to replace 'deep state' Govt personnel / Courts with party loyalists.
Or to create the impression there is a malign "deep state" (much like a malign eu) he is about to save the limited sods who voted for brexit from. What can I say, some people consider the latest Rambo a documentary.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The pool is much bigger than assumed though, all the over 800 in the House of Lords are eligible too, and some of them are pretty sharp. Certainly much more able than Priti Patel.

Reactions: Barry Shittpeas

Advertisers