Brexit, for once some facts.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Brexit gets worse every day

Brexitshambles@brexit_sha

1h

So we're going to war with the EU over fish that we currently sell to the EU? #BrexitLogic

Tory government tells EU that royal navy will be sent in to protect …
The environment secretary has warned the EU that the UK has taken “sufficient” steps to protect its waters after Brexit, as fears grow of a French blockade. The royal navy boasts three extra ships
independent.co.uk

oldgroaner@oldgroaner

Replying to
@brexit_sham
How juvenile can this Government get? what happens if the EU boycott the fish we catch? for goodness sake some adult get a grip of this Government of children, and if the French Navy intervenes? has any clown thought of that?

• Agree
Reactions: flecc and oyster

gw8izr

Pedelecer
Jan 1, 2020
Our current UK law on red diesel is very complicated. (Snip)

since it's also used for home heating which could mean a huge rise in those costs for householders.
Red diesel and heating oil are different. They have different colours and chemical traces and they attract different revenue rates.

Any increase in red diesel cost will affect me although the amount that I use is so small I won’t notice it to be fair.

It will stop the road hauliers that currently use it illegally in tractors for none agricultural purposes benefiting from revenue fraud and I have to say that won’t disappoint me.

• Informative
Reactions: flecc

gw8izr

Pedelecer
Jan 1, 2020
There is no reason why legitimate use of Diesel by these authorities would not just get a paper trail rebate. It need only be a VAT return entry.
Incidentally our RoI Red Diesel is or was Green Diesel ..(why I wonder?).
Proving the actual usage to obtain the rebate may in fact be the driver behind this.

It’s far too easy to have a delivery of red (edit) or green of course :) which is then shared between vehicles that should and shouldn’t obtain the rebate.

At the moment there is no way to know what is happening without actually dipping the tank and looking at what is being carried on the journey type.

(Edit) our heating oil is green and the revenue do dip to confirm that you’re not using green on the road

daveboy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2012
pontefract
Claiming tax back for diesel used off road would be no harder than self employed people claiming for business use mileage (as they are trusted to do now)

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
It’s far too easy to have a delivery of red (edit) or green of course which is then shared between vehicles that should and shouldn’t obtain the rebate.
All over the UK, including here in London, there are red diesel pump outlets blatantly serving any car driver directly into the vehicle as well as cans, without question, and seemingly perfectly legally.

They have a notices on each pump and on the adjacent walls, warning against illegal use and that appears to protect them from prosecution. As usual in the UK, the legal onus falls on the user, not the supplier.

If the government is serious about stopping this and other similar abuses, like the supply of illegal two wheelers, that principle in our law needs to be changed to add supplier liability.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Red diesel and heating oil are different. They have different colours and chemical traces and they attract different revenue rates.
Thanks for this information, I wouldn't know since I've been firmly an environmentalist for some sixty years and avoid fossil fuel use as far as possible, much easier now than formerly.

First thing I did when I bought my newly built property 52 years ago was rip out all gas, including having the meter removed and switching to electricity. That was more from principle than effect back then, but now I use it entirely from a renewables only supplier who declares the supplied proportions every month.

Clipboard01.jpg

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
A bit like 30 Years ago - 1990: Gummer enlists daughter in BSE campaign to eat cow ;-)
Now we've got Boris going around shaking hands with everyone despite expert's advice...
It's in his interests, the worse this becomes, the better the excuse for any economic failure becomes. If the pandemic doesn't materialise here, he'll claim that was due to his measures.

For him it's win win.

Reactions: Wicky

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
It's thought that they would apply tariffs rather than boycott, that will be just as damaging for our market there with tariffs at perhaps at 20% or more.
I'm sure you're right about the EU itself,
but the French, well they know a thing or two 'eh?
Usually a VERY DIRECT THING if you know what I mean!

gw8izr

Pedelecer
Jan 1, 2020
All over the UK, including here in London, there are red diesel pump outlets blatantly serving any car driver directly into the vehicle as well as cans, without question, and seemingly perfectly legally.

They have a notices on each pump and on the adjacent walls, warning against illegal use and that appears to protect them from prosecution. As usual in the UK, the legal onus falls on the user, not the supplier.

If the government is serious about stopping this and other similar abuses, like the supply of illegal two wheelers, that principle in our law needs to be changed to add supplier liability.
I agree.

There are different types of miss use, some small scale fiddling

Now I live in a small agricultural community, there is the odd road vehicle running on red but it’s not too common as there is roadside testing, People don’t benefit too much from running an old Pickup on red, the amount of money involved is fairly small and likelihood of detection is high. The van is very often parked at sales and auctions etc. Now it might be significant to a very small business but in revenue terms the cost of control probably exceeds the recovered revenue. It’s to send a message I guess.

At the other end of the spectrum a large haulier can make a big difference to their operating cost by creative descriptions of loads and types of vehicle used.

Measures to target large-scale would make that business fairer

Reactions: flecc

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales

Any increase in red diesel cost will affect me although the amount that I use is so small I won’t notice it to be fair.

It will stop the road hauliers that currently use it illegally in tractors for none agricultural purposes benefiting from revenue fraud and I have to say that won’t disappoint me.
Unless measures are taken, it will also affect diesel usage on the railways.

Which will make decisions like using diesel for trains on the route between Cardiff and Swansea a bad decision at yet another level.

gw8izr

Pedelecer
Jan 1, 2020
Unless measures are taken, it will also affect diesel usage on the railways.

Which will make decisions like using diesel for trains on the route between Cardiff and Swansea a bad decision at yet another level.
I wouldn’t like to form an opinion based on “shite“ in the press :)

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Confusing headline of the day in the Daily Mirror
Coronavirus mutates into second strain which is more aggressive and contagious

And then lower down they then state this
"
The preliminary study found that a more aggressive type of the new coronavirus associated with the disease outbreak in Wuhan accounted for about 70% of analysed strains, while 30% was linked to a less aggressive type.
The prevalence of the more aggressive virus decreased after early January 2020, they said.

???

Reactions: oyster

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
what is worrying is that no one in Government seems capable of understanding that it's all very well to tell people to "Self isolate" but unless you instigate a system for monitoring these people, we will end up with possibly thousands of properties containing rotting corpses because no one is aware of what happened to them.
Simple advice should help, such as telling people to ring elderly relatives every day, and a program of calls to every address an agreed number of times per day would be a start ,and a local community monitor in charge

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
what is worrying is that no one in Government seems capable of understanding that it's all very well to tell people to "Self isolate" but unless you instigate a system for monitoring these people, we will end up with possibly thousands of properties containing rotting corpses because no one is aware of what happened to them.
Simple advice should help, such as telling people to ring elderly relatives every day, and a program of calls to every address an agreed number of times per day would be a start ,and a local community monitor in charge
Tell people to put a piece of paper with today's date on it inside the window - visible from outside. Then update it every day. (Obviously, adjust to cover all circumstances.)

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Amazingly the Americans are responding a little better

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/04/world/coronavirus-news.html

U.S. lawmakers reach deal on $8.3 billion emergency coronavirus bill.
Racing to confront a growing public health threat, key lawmakers in the House and Senate reached a deal on Wednesday to provide $8.3 billion in emergency aid to combat the novel coronavirus, and the House planned a vote later Wednesday to approve it, according to three officials familiar with the negotiations.
The bipartisan package, which includes nearly $7.8 billion for agencies dealing with the virus and came together after days of rapid negotiations, is substantially larger than what the White House initially proposed in late February.

It also authorizes roughly $500 million to allow Medicare providers to administer tele-health services so that more elderly patients, who are at greater risk from the virus, can receive care at home, according to two of the officials. They spoke on condition of anonymity in advance of a formal announcement. "

Mind you The notion of intensive care at home doesn't quite resonate somehow

• Informative

gw8izr

Pedelecer
Jan 1, 2020
Isn’t the advice to self isolate if you consider that you may be at risk ( due to travel etc ) but if you have symptoms you should immediately contact 111 ?

Thankfully I have not had to do that so I don’t know what they ask but I wonder what DOC and procedure is implemented at that stage.

Certainly confirmed cases seem to be making it to isolation care at the moment. How that will work once numbers potentially increase I don’t know.... but just now the process recommendations are based on small numbers.

Advertisers