Brexit, for once some facts.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
It's not only about money though, there's the shortage of resources which money can't immediately magic up in sufficient quality, such as hospital capacity, ambulances, medical staff, intensive care beds, ventilators, face masks etc. I don't want any of those scarce resources spent on 84 year old me instead of younger people if I contract the virus. Therefore if I contract it I'm DNR and will instruct accordingly.

In very difficult circumstances I see nothing wrong in the old dying before the young to benefit the latter.
I think the expression is "After you old chap" I prefer the approach of fighting to survive or die trying, rather than make life easier or cheaper for an incompetent Conservative Government .
The more pressure they are under the better for the rest of society in both the short and the long term.
:cool:

Last edited:
Reactions: Barry Shittpeas

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Can we have Aldi as our government? :)

Discount supermarket Aldi is donating almost half a million surplus Easter eggs to charities and food banks across the UK.
From Thursday, Aldi will provide up to 50 Easter eggs per store each day to local charities and food banks which support vulnerable families and children.
The donations form part of Aldi’s ongoing partnership with community engagement platform, Neighbourly, which sees all 877 Aldi stores in the UK donate food to local charities and community groups at the end of each day.
But.......but....There...........Jairmans int they guv?.......:cool:

Seriously though good for them!

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Nick Ferrari told the Communities Secretary that the public are starting to question the government's candour over the lack of coronavirus testing in the UK.

My tweet
Replying to
@LBC
and
@NickFerrariLBC
The only way you will get truth out of this government is when you grill them, do it over a barbecue :)

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
That's fine, I have nobody dependent on me as you have, so my passing won't affect anyone.

The Pedelecs members map won't get updated any more, but I'm sure you'll all manage without that.
I'm sure Menwith Hill will send a wreath Flecc, think of the fun you've given them! and of course if any of us survive (despite the monumental efforts of the Government)
We will too.
If all else fails, remember my long standing invitation to come for a chat
I shall be the one sitting nearest to the fire :cool:

• :D
Reactions: flecc

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Reactions: oyster

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
In very difficult circumstances I see nothing wrong in the old dying before the young to benefit the latter.
but the key to success of a strategy like 'herd immunity' is first you must separate those who are unlikely to die of it (ie the young and fit), inoculate them, isolate them and test that they have acquired immunity before letting them lose.
That would avoid wasting a million small businesses through lockdown.
Now they have a two fires / tsunamis on their hands to deal with.
Those who manage to survive will face a huge tax bill for a generation because our government's shortsightedness.

Wicky

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2014
Colchester, Essex
www.jhepburn.co.uk

Southend, Essex having quite a few cases. And coming to a head today - hopefully whoever is fronting todays govt presser can be asked to reply truthfully WTF is going on.

BBC Essex has been told that a quarter of Southend's medical staff are off sick with coronavirus symptoms.

In the letter, clinicians at Southend A&E note:

"PPE is being rationed", that "there is limited stock" and what is available is being "locked away from staff and not accessible"

Staff are said to be "petrified" working in the hospital and claim that most have not been tested for the virus

Staff also say that many "are reluctant to work in this [high-risk] area" because of safety issues "but continue to do so as we have the welfare of our patients foremost"

They warn chief executive Clare Panniker that if the standard and availability of PPE is not improved by "close of play" on 1 April, they will introduce "restricted services" in high-risk areas of the hospital.

Essex coronavirus cases have risen to 473.

The latest figures show there are 380 cases in the the Essex County Council area, a further 39 positive cases in Southend and 54 in Thurrock.

This means the total amount of cases in all of Essex stands at 473, a 100 case rise from 373 cases the day before.

The news comes as a further 14 people have died after testing positive for the coronavirus in Essex.

Reactions: POLLY

Wicky

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2014
Colchester, Essex
www.jhepburn.co.uk
but the key to success of a strategy like 'herd immunity' is first you must separate those who are unlikely to die of it (ie the young and fit), inoculate them, isolate them and test that they have acquired immunity before letting them lose.
Were would you set the separation? say folk under 60 or 50 years old to carry on as normal works-wise etc. - but even if less likely to be terminal about 10-20% suffer symptoms needing hospitalisation. Still overwhelming the NHS ICU provision and leading to needless deaths.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Were would you set the separation? say folk under 60 or 50 years old to carry on as normal works-wise etc. - but even if less likely to be terminal about 10-20% suffer symptoms needing hospitalisation. Still overwhelming the NHS ICU provision and leading to needless deaths.
in the early years of vaccination, doctors used to kill the virus then use the dead virus as vaccine.
Those who volunteer to be vaccinated this way can be housed and fed by the state until they acquire immunity.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
in the early years of vaccination, doctors used to kill the virus then use the dead virus as vaccine.
Those who volunteer to be vaccinated this way can be housed and fed by the state until they acquire immunity.
But first they actually used live cowpox to vaccinate against smallpox.

• Agree
Reactions: Woosh

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Those who manage to survive will face a huge tax bill for a generation because our government's shortsightedness.
I fully agree, but we are where we are and need to make the best of it, since playing catchup won't be very rewarding, for some while at least.

Looking on the bright side, perhaps our even more impoverished country afterwards will finally convince our governments to stop pretending the UK is a world leading nation at the expense of its citizens.

• Informative
  • Agree
Reactions: Nev and oldgroaner

Wicky

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2014
Colchester, Essex
www.jhepburn.co.uk
Do you think the quantity of serum can be obtained and given out within next 3–6 months?

Not sure you can get enough for large population until you first identify who's had the corvid19 infecion with antibody test. It could be given first to critically ill patients & boost the immune systems of hospital workers.

Like an eventful vaccination it would be likely rolled out in order of priority;

• 1. Health workers occupationally most at risk

• 2. Key service workers

• 3. Group(s) most vulnerable to illness

• 4. Enclosed communities, such as residential care homes

• 5. People most likely to transmit the virus, such as children

• 6. General population.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Congrats to Welsh Assembly:

Two opposition group leaders in the Welsh Assembly are to join the Welsh Government’s Covid group, the first minister has said.

Mark Drakeford said he was “very grateful” to Tory group leader Paul Davies and Plaid Cymru's Adam Price for accepting his invitation.

Reactions: flecc

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Looking on the bright side, perhaps our even more impoverished country afterwards will finally convince our governments to stop pretending the UK is a world leading nation at the expense of its citizens.
maybe, maybe not.
The newspapers are in the hand of those who don't hold the same view.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Like an eventful vaccination it would be likely rolled out in order of priority;

• 1. Health workers occupationally most at risk
we tested 2000 NHS employees out of nearly 1 million.
It will take months to sort out this mess.

If you compare the UK with France and Germany:

Germany:
cases: 74,508
deaths: 821: 1.1%
recovered: 16,100

France:
cases: 52,128
deaths: 3,523: 6.7%
recovered: 9,444

UK:
cases: 29,474
deaths: 2,352: 7.9%
recovered: 135 (no, it's not a mistake)

France tests twice as many as we do, Germany tests 5 times as many.
We should have tested at least as many as French do.

Last edited:

Advertisers