Brexit, for once some facts.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Police have visited Scotland’s chief medical officer Dr Catherine Calderwood and issued her with a warning after she visited her second home.

Scotland’s chief constable Iain Livingstone said in a statement:

Earlier today, local officers visited Dr Catherine Calderwood and spoke to her about her actions, reiterated crucial advice and issued a warning about her future conduct, all of which she accepted. The legal instructions on not leaving your home without a reasonable excuse apply to everyone.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
The original story was round about 24th March.

Here's some evidence, no April fool:
View attachment 34606

View attachment 34607
Surely you can do better than that in the vitriolic stakes..
1. Lets see a person sends 25 dollars to a woman candidate ,and that person is also a woman.... There were a lot of women hoping for the first female US President.
2. US dates sometime confuse.. was that 2006 or 2001? But any way there was a minor domestic disturbance between a man and his wife either a decade or four years ago, then a domestic object was thrown.

It takes a lot of effort to convert that into a politically motivated murder, but you have suceeded .. so congratulations.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Police have visited Scotland’s chief medical officer Dr Catherine Calderwood and issued her with a warning after she visited her second home.

Scotland’s chief constable Iain Livingstone said in a statement:

Earlier today, local officers visited Dr Catherine Calderwood and spoke to her about her actions, reiterated crucial advice and issued a warning about her future conduct, all of which she accepted. The legal instructions on not leaving your home without a reasonable excuse apply to everyone.
:D :D :D :D

• :D
Reactions: esuark

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I’ve started to regard the people who disregard the instruction to separate as doing a public service. They are laying down their lives to create herd immunity. This virus needs a constant fresh supply of people without immunity to survive. The more people congregate, the soon that supply will dry up and it will be more difficult for it to spread.

Me and the wife are now in super lockdown for the next 14 days. I don’t think we have any reason to see another human being during that period.
that's one way looking at it.
One could also argue that 95% of people catching the virus will survive it and will continue to be spreaders, therefore increasing the probability of contagion to those who self isolate at the moment.
The self defence strategy for us may be to get a BCG booster to better prepare our immune system. If you self isolate without any extra defence, you will still have to stay isolated until a treatment becomes available. That will be months to wait.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Surely you can do better than that in the vitriolic stakes..
1. Lets see a person sends 25 dollars to a woman candidate ,and that person is also a woman.... There were a lot of women hoping for the first female US President.
2. US dates sometime confuse.. was that 2006 or 2001? But any way there was a minor domestic disturbance between a man and his wife either a decade or four years ago, then a domestic object was thrown.

It takes a lot of effort to convert that into a politically motivated murder, but you have suceeded .. so congratulations.
I wondered who you were replying to, and realised the warm weather must make life uncomfortable under a bridge....

Reactions: flecc and Danidl

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
that's one way looking at it.
One could also argue that 95% of people catching the virus will survive it and will continue to be spreaders, therefore increasing the probability of contagion to those who self isolate at the moment.
The self defence strategy for us may be to get a BCG booster to better prepare our immune system.
What about those of us who didn't get it because we failed the six needle jab?

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Thee are lies and damned lies and the Daily Express

They are running a poll
is Boris doing a good job of dealing with the Coronavirus problem
73% say yes!
This means one of the following
A)It's a lie
B) 73% who agreed to this are criminally insane.

Reactions: POLLY

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
The trouble is that still means collecting too frequently with personal interaction. I have my supply for 56 days, Oyster for 84 days now without meeting anyone for that purpose.
The situation here is of course different than in central London. I would stroll down to the pharmacy, which is on a sea front. The wind is usually blustery and on shore.. From Blackpool 60 miles away. The pharmacy allows two people in maximum ,and the rest wait on the street, with probably 6 metres apart.. . The door opens person out new person in calls out their requirements, they check the computer get the goodies . Then one taps ones credit card ..and out. Bread shopping the same, the local supermarkets basically the same..except there is a security guy checking you put on their supplied polythene gloves . Obviously more people in the supermarket , but still its one in for one out.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
She should have said her exercise machine was in her second home! :D

Reasonable excuse established.

• Agree
Reactions: oldgroaner

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Matt Hancock today told
@AndrewMarr9
it’s “all rubbish” to suggest herd immunity was ever part of government strategy.... ....but this is what Vallance was saying only three weeks ago
Patrick Vallance is obviously not a mathematician.
If for example 80% of the population acquires herd immunity and the hospitalisation rate is 20% then 20% of the 80% = 16% of the population would have needed NHS hospitalisation.
The NHS has only about 142,000 beds. It can take at most 30,000 COVID19 patients before it breaks down.
That's why herd immunity would never have worked in a densely populated country like ours.

If the government hadn't gone for lockdown last week, the NHS would have been swamped by now.
There was no real time to spare.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
80% of the population acquires herd immunity
Isn't that a mis-reading of what herd immunity is?

As I understand, herd immunity is due to multiple indivudals being (or becoming) immune. It the the herd which, provided sufficient are immune, reduces the rate at which an infection is passed on to others who are not yet immune. A herd can have 80% members immune but that isn't quite the same thing.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Isn't that a mis-reading of what herd immunity is?
Those who are immune keep the virus at very low level but not without virus. The virus can still be shed by them. That explains why we can't get rid of the common cold.
The 20% who do not have herd immunity are/will be still exposed, albeit to a much lesser extend, the risk is reduced but not eliminated until they are vaccinated.
Let's say we implement Vallance's idea.
Let's assume our hospitals can look after 30,000 COVID in-patients whose average stay is 15 days. Leave the deads aside for the moment.
That's 2,000 discharges a day or 10,000 new confirmed cases a day.
At 10,000 new cases a day, after 1 year, you only go through 3.65 millions.
How long is it going to take?

Last edited:
Reactions: flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
As it appeared very quiet at lunchtime I thought I'd try a fourth attempt at a safe exercise walk in my estate.

Walking along the 800 metre stretch of road I mentioned above, I saw 18 vehicles and 24 pedestrians which was far quieter than usual but still many interactions. Again I was the only one attempting to ensure separation.

One trio coming towards me on the empty opposite pavement did the opposite, stupidly crossing the road to be in front of me at a bottleneck in the 1.3 metre pavement between a wall and parked vehicles. I immediately turned past the rear of a van to pass them in the road, but a cyclist was coming by at that point so he passed me almost face to face. Can't win. During that short walk I saw that two of the groupings were clearly from two households, pairs of women with their own children, and when another woman met a couple they stopped to chat close up.

And to cap it, at the end of the road a white van pulled out into the main road in front of a roadie cyclist, almost knocking him off. Cue loud yells of protest from the roadie.

Instead of going back that way, I used the exit road to an entry into another part of the estate on a footpath through housing with no road alongside. That is too narrow for a two metre separation, but one young couple approaching obligingly turned into a side path and stood some four metres back while I passed. I waved my thanks with a smile and got the same back, it was nice to see someone really getting the message for a change.

But overall I'm afraid separation continues to fail.

Last edited:

Advertisers