Brexit, for once some facts.

tommie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 13, 2013
Co. Down, N. Ireland, U.K.
Lockdown - Irish style!!

Gardaí investigate Dublin Black Lives Matter protest over Covid-19 rule breach
Officers have spoken to some organisers of rally in which up to 4,000 people took part
Gardaí are investigating Monday’s Black Lives Matter protest in Dublin with a view to potentially prosecuting organisers for their role in such a large public gathering during the Covid-19 lockdown.

Shocking behaviour - 4.000 mindless morons

No words :mad:

• :D
Reactions: POLLY

RossG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2019
Latvia is a beautiful country.

Italy and Latvia Launch Apps That Use Apple's Exposure Notification API
Monday June 1, 2020 12:38 pm PDT by Juli Clover
European countries have begun to roll out COVID-19 contact tracing apps that take advantage of the Exposure Notification API designed by Apple and Google, with Italy and Latvia both launching new apps over the course of the last few days.

https://www.macrumors.com/2020/06/01/italy-latvia-exposure-notification-api-apps/

I found this comment of particular, umm, annoyance. Very happy for them, but furious at our idiots.

Sandstorm
1 day ago at 12:55 pm
I'm from Latvia and I'm very happy how successfully our government (and society in general) has reacted to this pandemic. Early action, support and trust in scientists, no stupid protests or riots - and we are literally down to zero new cases since yesterday. And we've been gradually reopening for some time already (cautiously monitoring situation, of course).

The app "Apturi Covid" ("Stop Covid") also looks good, installed day one. I have zero problems to trust this Apple/Google based temporary solution and, frankly, I trust our government too.

Anyone who wants to have a play with this app it's on Google Play for Android and wherever you go for Apple apps.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Lockdown - Irish style!!

Officers have spoken to some organisers of rally in which up to 4,000 people took part
Gardaí are investigating Monday’s Black Lives Matter protest in Dublin with a view to potentially prosecuting organisers for their role in such a large public gathering during the Covid-19 lockdown.

you need to go behind the headlines in this one. The Organisers were genuinely surprised by the turnout... Me maybe not so much as there was very little else to do on our Bank holiday weekend . They did try and hold it with Social Distancing guidelines ..a point the Gardai reiterated, so I don't think there will be prosecutions.
The logic of having a protest march defeats me .

Reactions: oyster

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Interesting development.
I wonder what Cummings is going to do.
He and they might welcome it. Its a Win Win . The actual hard decision gets deferred,it stays on the agenda, and their threadbare position doesn't get exposed for a while ..and they score brownie points for being a caring cabinet ,concerned with the regions.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Lockdown - Irish style!!

Isn't it amazing how much one Irishman can delight in the problems of another? :cool:

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2020/06/02/exclusive-boris-johnson-takes-back-control-coronavirus-crisis/?utm_content=telegraph&utm_medium=Social&utm_campaign=Echobox&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1591131855
Exclusive: Boris Johnson takes back control of coronavirus crisis with Downing Street shake-up
Two centrally-run committees, covering strategy and operational delivery, will shape Government's approach to pandemic

Cummings rides out
An interesting twist, taking back personal control means forming two committees?

• Informative
Reactions: oyster and Nev

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
How to sell ending the lockdown
Front page header in the Telegraph
'Risk overestimated' Two-metre social distancing rule based on outdated science
ByBill Gardner

And inside?
Two-metre social distancing rule based on outdated science that may have hugely overestimated coronavirus risk
Senior MPs and scientists are warning that the comparative risk of halving the distance to one metre was far less than previously thought

The two-metre rule on social distancing is based on outdated science that may have overestimated the risk by up to fifteen times, senior MPs and scientists have warned.

The Government on Tuesday said the controversial rule would stay in place despite a major study showing the comparative risk of halving the distance to one metre was far less than previously thought.

The link to the study says this

Two-metre rule halves chances of catching coronavirus, first major social distancing study finds
Conclusions of analysis prepared for World Health Organisation could have major implications for plans to ease lockdown further

Keeping two metres apart from someone with coronavirus is twice as effective as a one-metre gap, the first comprehensive review into social distancing has found.

The international analysis of dozens of studies, prepared for the World Health Organisation, concluded that a one-metre distance left people at three per cent risk of contagion, but that the risk roughly halved at two metres.

The review, published in The Lancet, could have major implications for tentative Government plans to ease the lockdown further.

Pubs and restaurants will be among the last sectors to be allowed to reopen, possibly next month, principally because of the difficulty of adhering to the Government's two-metre rule.

I shall stick to the two metre rule after that cack handed attempt to misrepresent the risk to save the economy
Why double the risk of infection just to go in a pub?

Quite clearly it is written in the hope that people will read it and come to the wrong conclusion as usual.

• Informative
Reactions: Nev and oyster

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2020/06/02/exclusive-boris-johnson-takes-back-control-coronavirus-crisis/?utm_content=telegraph&utm_medium=Social&utm_campaign=Echobox&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1591131855
Exclusive: Boris Johnson takes back control of coronavirus crisis with Downing Street shake-up
Two centrally-run committees, covering strategy and operational delivery, will shape Government's approach to pandemic

Cummings rides out
An interesting twist, taking back personal control means forming two committees?
Frank admission it was out of control? That Johnson, in particular, had lost control? That DowningStreet is in a mess?

Or have they simply not thought how this will play out when the public read and hear of this?

A possible gift to Kier Starmer at PMQ. (He would appear to have already decided to up criticism.)

• Agree
Reactions: Nev and oldgroaner

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
ByBill Gardner

And inside?
Two-metre social distancing rule based on outdated science that may have hugely overestimated coronavirus risk
Senior MPs and scientists are warning that the comparative risk of halving the distance to one metre was far less than previously thought

The two-metre rule on social distancing is based on outdated science that may have overestimated the risk by up to fifteen times, senior MPs and scientists have warned.

The Government on Tuesday said the controversial rule would stay in place despite a major study showing the comparative risk of halving the distance to one metre was far less than previously thought.

Two-metre rule halves chances of catching coronavirus, first major social distancing study finds
Conclusions of analysis prepared for World Health Organisation could have major implications for plans to ease lockdown further

Keeping two metres apart from someone with coronavirus is twice as effective as a one-metre gap, the first comprehensive review into social distancing has found.

The international analysis of dozens of studies, prepared for the World Health Organisation, concluded that a one-metre distance left people at three per cent risk of contagion, but that the risk roughly halved at two metres.

The review, published in The Lancet, could have major implications for tentative Government plans to ease the lockdown further.

Pubs and restaurants will be among the last sectors to be allowed to reopen, possibly next month, principally because of the difficulty of adhering to the Government's two-metre rule.

I shall stick to the two metre rule after that cack handed attempt to misrepresent the risk to save the economy

Quite clearly it is written in the hope that people will read it and come to the wrong conclusion as usual.
As I see it, the Telegraph appears to be suggesting that we might as well go to one-metre distancing. But even the difference between 1 and 1.5 metres, for example, seems significant.

Adding in that inadvertently getting closer is all too easily done, the difference going from one to two metres gives a buffer zone. We are all too happy with crumple zones in cars...

Please tell me how we explain 1.5 metres to people who are nearly innumerate? Decimal points are massively confusing to quite a few people who can just about manage "whole numbers". And ½ the world has become unable to use a conventional ½ symbol on computers...

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(20)31142-9/fulltext

• Informative
Reactions: Nev and oldgroaner

Barry Shittpeas

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 1, 2020
Anyone who wants to have a play with this app it's on Google Play for Android and wherever you go for Apple apps.
Interesting. Will this work in the U.K.? For example, if you and I installed the app and one of us tested positive for Coronavirus after being in recent close contact, would the other receive an alert? Or does it need Government / NHS involvement to **** it up?

• Agree
Reactions: Nev and oyster

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Interesting. Will this work in the U.K.? For example, if you and I installed the app and one of us tested positive for Coronavirus after being in recent close contact, would the other receive an alert? Or does it need Government / NHS involvement to **** it up?
Saved me posting that question!

Also, one of the potentially huge advantages over true national efforts, if it does work across borders, is for people who travel. Imagine a lorry driver coming from Spain and needing one phone for Spain, one for France and another for the UK. Plus being able to use it in Spanish, French and English (it should also work in Welsh, am waiting to hear about that!).

• Informative
Reactions: Nev and flecc

Barry Shittpeas

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 1, 2020
Saved me posting that question!

Also, one of the potentially huge advantages over true national efforts, if it does work across borders, is for people who travel. Imagine a lorry driver coming from Spain and needing one phone for Spain, one for France and another for the UK. Plus being able to use it in Spanish, French and English (it should also work in Welsh, am waiting to hear about that!).
I wondered about cross border contact too. I can't see why it wouldn't work if you were in Spain for example. Most people that I know have data roaming plans on their mobile. This could be useful if holiday restrictions are eased.

I have never liked the idea of a UK home-grown app. 1) They will **** it up. 2) It's unlikely to work. They have achieved both so far.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
I wondered about cross border contact too. I can't see why it wouldn't work if you were in Spain for example. Most people that I know have data roaming plans on their mobile. This could be useful if holiday restrictions are eased.

I have never liked the idea of a UK home-grown app. 1) They will **** it up. 2) It's unlikely to work. They have achieved both so far.
Have installed it but Latvian is not easy to get by in (for me!). So I have no real idea what it is saying.

Interestingly, it is showing things like number of tests performed. And there is advice in English! They are sticking to 2 metre distancing.

• Informative
Reactions: Nev

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
ByBill Gardner

And inside?

I attempted to read this article. The essence of which is they looked at lots of infections in a hospital setting and the usual distances of Carers to patient . More infections at shorter separations. In otherwords no physics, no modelling , ..simply a meta analysis of multiple other surveys. This type of analysis has value, but extrapolation from an enclosed environment, to the more wider situation was not part of their study. Moreover the incidences of transmission are much higher in hospitals than in equivalent outside settings.

While this method has validity in a hospital setting, where the entire zone is basically saturated with virus particles from multiple emitters, it does not transfer into the general public where there are a few point source emitters ,and a basic inverse square or in this case, inverse cube law applies... as the emitter has to fill a Volume .
The better way to look at this is that if you have a poisonous gas, leaking into an enclosed space, initially those very close succumb first, but eventually it makes no difference as everywhere gets saturated. The clinical setting is the halfway stage. The virus decays away, but lasts long enough to infiltrate ..
Unfortunately the context in which this study has been done will be ignored,for economic expediency.
For myself ,I still hold to the MINIMUM 2 metre rule outside family members

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Woosh

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
True or fake? You decide! :)

A moment of “tense” standoff between the prime minister and Sir Mark Sedwill, Britain’s most senior civil servant, exposed growing fissures at the top over the implementation of his blueprint for lifting the lockdown.
In a meeting early last week, two sources said Johnson had listened as the detail of the plan was outlined but then asked: “Who is in charge of implementing this delivery plan?” One recalled: “There was just silence. He looked over at Sedwill and said, ‘Is it you?’ Sedwill said, ‘No, I think it’s you, prime minister.’”

Reactions: oldgroaner

Barry Shittpeas

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 1, 2020
Has anyone seen the story in the Telegraph? Apparently, today is the day that the Prime Minister takes control of the coronavirus crisis which has been raging for just short of six months and seen over 60000 dead! Have I read this correctly? If Johnson is taking Control today, who has been in control for the last six months?

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Has anyone seen the story in the Telegraph? Apparently, today is the day that the Prime Minister takes control of the coronavirus crisis which has been raging for just short of six months and seen over 60000 dead! Have I read this correctly? If Johnson is taking Control today, who has been in control for the last six months?
Remember he was still working right up to the point at which they had to admit he wasn't even receiving red boxes.

I suspect his control is a similar figment...

Barry Shittpeas

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 1, 2020
Remember he was still working right up to the point at which they had to admit he wasn't even receiving red boxes.

I suspect his control is a similar figment...
I’m not celebrating the fact that he is in control now. The very infrequent and brief appearances that he has made, have caused confusion and made things much worse than they were before. But it does make me wonder who has been controlled if it wasn’t the Prime Minister. Bizarre.

Barry Shittpeas

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 1, 2020
Anyone care to offer odds on Fat Arse Patel getting the 14 day quarantine through. I’m going to say it won’t happen. Johnson will undermine her and appear as the hero who saved the summer holiday abroad.

Advertisers