Brexit, for once some facts.

tommie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 13, 2013
Co. Down, N. Ireland, U.K.
you need to go behind the headlines in this one. The Organisers were genuinely surprised by the turnout... Me maybe not so much as there was very little else to do on our Bank holiday weekend . They did try and hold it with Social Distancing guidelines ..a point the Gardai reiterated, so I don't think there will be prosecutions.
The logic of having a protest march defeats me .
The "Organisers" should have been promptly marched into the Mountjoy

Ah, so there was little else to do??!!
Well how about being responsible and staying at home for starters, didn`t someone mention there is a very dangerous and extremely contagious virus about that kills people?

And they expect `social distancing` with a crowd of 4000 rabid morons milling about over each other.

Hopefully this doesn`t become another `Cheltenham` in a couple of weeks.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
I’ve just been into town to fetch my click & Collect order. 2 miles from the supermarket traffic ground to a halt and I thought there must have been an accident. 45 minutes later, I arrived close to the supermarket. The congestion is being caused by Mc Donald’s and Kentucky Fried Chicken stores across the road from the supermarket. ******* idiots are queueing for over 2 miles to get a lips & arse-hole burger. They had stewards and police trying to keep the traffic flowing.

There is an Ikea on the outskirts and a friend who lives that side says it’s total gridlock over there too. What’s wrong with these people. Are they ******* mental?

One good thing, the rain kept all the newoutdoorers away this morning. I had the woodland, riverside and fields to myself today. First time that’s happened for weeks. The type of people who have been in the countryside over the past few weeks have no idea how to behave, they need to be kept in cages.
No not mental, but stir crazy they are craving the old certainties. . I can just about understand it for KFC or a big Mac.. but the idea of taking anything with a bit of salad on it , freaks me out. I can accept the sterility of deep fried chicken and chips or a toasted bap and cindered beef, But what really really got to me was an hour long que for a drive in Starbucks
I took a long time wandering in our large local Tescos on Monday, the Bank holiday, and it was empty and and I needed vitamins because I could

Reactions: Barry Shittpeas

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
FizzP

@FizzP1
·
2h
Please can someone explain to me ......why as he left the house .....did @BorisJohnson not observe social distancing ....stopping to chat to fellow MPs & actually touching 1 of them on the arm ? Deeply distressing to observe ........one wonders why the public have lost trust .

oldgroaner:mad:oldgroaner

You have to remember the man is an idiot

https://twitter.com/Cassand62960032

Reactions: Woosh

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
No not mental, but stir crazy they are craving the old certainties. . I can just about understand it for KFC or a big Mac.. but the idea of taking anything with a bit of salad on it , freaks me out. I can accept the sterility of deep fried chicken and chips or a toasted bap and cindered beef, But what really really got to me was an hour long que for a drive in Starbucks
Oddly I quite like the more quiet less manic post covid brave new world. I feel for the young (who are in for another decade of austerity) but if I do scrape together enough to retire early in three years I could get quite used to a world without package holidays, manic out of town shopping centres and general overconsumption.

tommie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 13, 2013
Co. Down, N. Ireland, U.K.
I’ve just been into town to fetch my click & Collect order. 2 miles from the supermarket traffic ground to a halt and I thought there must have been an accident. 45 minutes later, I arrived close to the supermarket. The congestion is being caused by Mc Donald’s and Kentucky Fried Chicken stores across the road from the supermarket. ******* idiots are queueing for over 2 miles to get a lips & arse-hole burger. They had stewards and police trying to keep the traffic flowing.
There is an Ikea on the outskirts and a friend who lives that side says it’s total gridlock over there too. What’s wrong with these people. Are they ******* mental?
Yep, same here, here is the queue into our local Ikea two days ago, deranged people who can`t get that flat-pack bookshelf tat quick enough.
Why?? !!

0_IMG-20200601-WA0011.jpg

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Second that their manufacture, especially of sweets, is constantly being shifted out into other EU countries where the mass market is.
Bendicks (of Mayfair of course) used to be made in Winchester, now in Poland I believe.

Barry Shittpeas

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 1, 2020
FizzP

@FizzP1
·
2h
Please can someone explain to me ......why as he left the house .....did @BorisJohnson not observe social distancing ....stopping to chat to fellow MPs & actually touching 1 of them on the arm ? Deeply distressing to observe ........one wonders why the public have lost trust .

oldgroaner:mad:oldgroaner

You have to remember the man is an idiot

https://twitter.com/Cassand62960032
I honestly think Boris Johnson is of low intelligence and severely lacking in common sense. He might be quite ruthless and devious, but I don't think he has a great deal upstairs. His accent probably gets him a long way, Eaton background even further and family wealth further still. Even now, I don't think he understands coronavirus and it has probably outlived his attention span. He appears bored with it, wants it to go away and just makes ever more outrageous & undeliverable promises to entertain himself. I think he caught Coronavirus because he didn't understand the disease and couldn't be bothered to find out about it.

Barry Shittpeas

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 1, 2020
Oddly I quite like the more quiet less manic post covid brave new world. I feel for the young (who are in for another decade of austerity) but if I do scrape together enough to retire early in three years I could get quite used to a world without package holidays, manic out of town shopping centres and general overconsumption.
I agree, I liked the beginning of lockdown, but now things are easing the people I'd rather not see are re-emerging. I don't really care about young people's future because they don't care either. Yesterday there was a group of 30+ of them swimming in a local reservoir. This morning, from the location they were at, I filled two bin bags with plastic bottles, discarded disposable BBQs, food packaging, beer cans and bottles from within the reservoir and on the bank.

Last edited:

Barry Shittpeas

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 1, 2020
360 / day is still a high death rate. That’s where we seem to have plateaued. Boris Johnson seems to be talking about it likes it a victory.

The infection rate seems to have kicked up a bit too.

Nev

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2018
North Wales
Big surge in cases in Sweden. They report 2,214 new cases and 74 new deaths.

They were reporting around 500 - 700 cases per day up until now.

Someone should be shouting Stop over there.
Here is the story, seems like they have left out some deaths, not sure if it was deliberate or just a mistake.

From the Guardian,
Sweden passes France for Covid-19 deaths per capita
The number of deaths per capita from the coronavirus outbreak in Sweden has now surpassed that of France, as the country also recorded a bumper rise in infections due to the release of previously withheld statistics from a Stockholm test lab.
According to the latest update from the public health agency, 74 more people have died from Covid-19 in Sweden, pushing the total death toll to 4,542. With 450 Covid-19 deaths per 1m people, it means Sweden now has a higher coronavirus death rate than France, which has recorded 443 deaths from the virus per 1m population, according to tallies kept on the Worldometers website.
Sweden’s unwelcome rise up the coronavirus rankings on Wednesday came after its chief epidemiologist, Anders Tegnell, who is credited with masterminding his country’s light touch outbreak strategy, admitted there was “quite obviously a potential for improvement in what we have done”.
Asked in an interview on Swedish radio whether too many people in Sweden had died, he replied: “Yes, absolutely,” adding that the country would “have to consider in the future whether there was a way of preventing” such a high toll.
“If we were to encounter the same disease again knowing exactly what we know about it today, I think we would settle on doing something in between what Sweden did and what the rest of the world has done,” Tegnell said. It would be “good to know exactly what to shut down to curb the spread of infection better”, he added.
Also on Wednesday, a further 2,214 confirmed cases of coronavirus were announced – the highest daily increase in cases yet in the country. According to Stockholm regional officials, the big daily rise in cases came because a laboratory that had hitherto only reported positive tests to patients publicly released data on 1,385 positive tests for the first time.
Sweden has reported 40,803 cases since the coronavirus outbreak began.

• Informative

Nev

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2018
North Wales
Well if it wasn't for Belgium then Boris could honestly say we are world beating at something. Belgium have the highest death rate from the virus per million at 822 and we are in second place out of over 200 countries with a rate of 585 per million.

There are a couple of other countries with higher rates but these have tiny populations (a few 10s of thousands) and so I have ignored them as with such small populations it would not be fair to include them.

Does anyone know why Belgium is so high?

Here are a few other countries all numbers are deaths per million of population.
USA 328
Brazil 148
France 443
Germany 104
Japan 7
S. Korea 5
Greece 17

More stats can be found from the table on this link.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Big surge in cases in Sweden. They report 2,214 new cases and 74 new deaths.

They were reporting around 500 - 700 cases per day up until now.

Someone should be shouting Stop over there.
CV2 Death Rates:

Sweden = 450 per million population.

UK = 602.7 per million population, 33% higher.

Sweden's new case increase was due to some held back figures, a one off jump.

• Informative
Reactions: jonathan.agnew

Barry Shittpeas

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 1, 2020
Baroness Dildo seems to be off to a flying start, maintaining her fuckup record from Talk-Talk by all accounts.

RossG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2019
Bendicks (of Mayfair of course) used to be made in Winchester, now in Poland I believe.
I went looking for some of those Orange & Lemon slices that you put on the top of large cakes. Found some in a supermarket, turned the box over and saw they were made in China ! I ask you a sweet...can't we make sweets anymore.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
I honestly think Boris Johnson is of low intelligence and severely lacking in common sense. He might be quite ruthless and devious, but I don't think he has a great deal upstairs. His accent probably gets him a long way, Eaton background even further and family wealth further still. Even now, I don't think he understands coronavirus and it has probably outlived his attention span. He appears bored with it, wants it to go away and just makes ever more outrageous & undeliverable promises to entertain himself. I think he caught Coronavirus because he didn't understand the disease and couldn't be bothered to find out about it.
On the credit side he did prove that abject stupidity is no substitute for a vaccine

• :D

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I went looking for some of those Orange & Lemon slices that you put on the top of large cakes. Found some in a supermarket, turned the box over and saw they were made in China ! I ask you a sweet...can't we make sweets anymore.
The trouble is volumes of both production and market. Modern sweet manufacturing is mass production on a huge scale, so it's best aggregated in such as China, or if within the EU, where the mass market and low manufacturing costs coincide.

Advertisers