Brexit, for once some facts.

RossG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2019
My mum always wanted me to be a choirboy, she always used to say to me "Ross, when you grow up you'll end up mixing with choirs " I think that what she said .... I may have misheard her though :(

• :D
Reactions: oyster

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
My mum always wanted me to be a choirboy, she always used to say to me "Ross, when you grow up you'll end up mixing with choirs " I think that what she said .... I may have misheard her though :(
Had an ex gf who was a soprano in a professional choir and, strictly fwiw, never before or after had the misfortune to have to kill time with such a pretentious, sneering bunch of toffs (social conversation was conducted in mezzo soprano). I'd rather hang out with all of the queerest queers in Frisco than go through that again.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
From someone of my vintage, being able to read of pubs legally serving early on a Saturday morning seems very odd. Even after many years of relaxed licensing rules. I continue to remember 12:00 to 14:00 on Sunday, closing at 10:00, 10:30 or 11:00 depending where, etc.

Yes, I know there were some oddities around London markets - but they are outwith my personal experience. Didn't it used to be transport only? Yes, was always amazed at people buying hard liquor on trains at almost any time.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Yes, was always amazed at people buying hard liquor on trains at almost any time.
Getting on a southbound train in Durham in didn't take many seconds to know if it had originated at Edinburgh or Newcastle.

• :D
Reactions: flecc and oyster

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
  • Agree
Reactions: flecc and oyster

wheeler

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2016
Scotland
Apparently Boris' newly painted Voyager aircraft ZZ336 was involved in supporting Typhoons from Lossiemouth which were sent up to intercept a Russian plane allegedly heading towards UK airspace.
I suspect we'll see a lot more Russian aircraft coming over for a laugh at the only air tanker in the world (world beating?) painted up like circus float.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Getting on a southbound train in Durham in didn't take many seconds to know if it had originated at Edinburgh or Newcastle.
The specific circumstance I remember was on the Southampton - Waterloo line - I used to commute a few miles and the bar area was often a good bet for some space. Seeing people get on the 07:14 (or whatever) and immediately order spirits was something I never got used to. Even now, going into the smaller corner shops and seeing the customers buying their quarter and half bottles astonishes me. Am perfectly happy to have a drink, and used to consume far more than I now do, but never got my head round either of these.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Apparently Boris' newly painted Voyager aircraft ZZ336 was involved in supporting Typhoons from Lossiemouth which were sent up to intercept a Russian plane allegedly heading towards UK airspace.
I suspect we'll see a lot more Russian aircraft coming over for a laugh at the only air tanker in the world (world beating?) painted up like circus float.
Has Johnson used it yet?

I'll be interested to see cost of paint job as calculated per mile of actual PM's usage.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
From someone of my vintage, being able to read of pubs legally serving early on a Saturday morning seems very odd. Even after many years of relaxed licensing rules. I continue to remember 12:00 to 14:00 on Sunday, closing at 10:00, 10:30 or 11:00 depending where, etc.
But the countryside had different rules.

I haven't drunk alcohol in many decades, but when very much younger I would occasionally have an odd beer in company. One hot day driving in Norfolk with a friend, I pulled into a country pub at a bit gone 2 pm and when we walked in it was empty. The lady behind the bar said "We're closed".

So I said, "Oh sorry" and we turned to walk out when she said "Oh you can have drink, I just have to say we're closed!" :D

Their idea of abiding by the law.

Last edited:

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
true.
I didn't do any better in the last 10 years since the conservatives took over.
Cameron and May are part of the same globalist club as Blair and Brown. Changing from one to the next makes no difference. Boris is also in the same club, but he now has to think about keeping some of the promises he made to get voted in. The police, judiciary, film industry, gaming industry, media and social media are all under the same control. Outside of the UK, FIFA, WHO, United Nations, EU and more are also in the same club. We might hear a bit more about how it all works from Ghislaine. I heard that she's agreed to talk. It'll be interesting to see how long she lasts before she gets clintoned. She can't survive. It's just a question of how long.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Cameron and May are part of the same globalist club as Blair and Brown. Changing from one to the next makes no difference. Boris is also in the same club, but he now has to think about keeping some of the promises he made to get voted in. The police, judiciary, film industry, gaming industry, media and social media are all under the same control. Outside of the UK, FIFA, WHO, United Nations, EU and more are also in the same club. We might hear a bit more about how it all works from Ghislaine. I heard that she's agreed to talk. It'll be interesting to see how long she lasts before she gets clintoned. She can't survive. It's just a question of how long.
The club to which you refer is called the human race. Or if you want to be marginally more specific the wealthy fraction of the human race. ..and it likes its privileges. It will let anyone join, the entrance fee is money,or talent preferably both.

Reactions: flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The club to which you refer is called the human race. Or if you want to be marginally more specific the wealthy fraction of the human race. ..and it likes its privileges. It will let anyone join, the entrance fee is money,or talent preferably both.
AKA the establishment.

Reactions: Danidl

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
To a point, it's been a conservative, neoconservative snafu for the past thirty plus years, from invading afghanistan, Iraq through deregulation of financial services, the crisis. It's all been, in the Anglo Saxon world, about protecting vested interests (oil, offshore finance). The odds are probably even for her strangulating herself or developing a sudden lethal case of pancreatic cancer. I cannot imagine it safe for the establishment to let her live.

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
but im not sure about the money or talent bit. trump (and his wife) show a striking lack of both. perhaps one could add having a rich dad or being a tall leggy slovenian to the criteria?

Reactions: flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
but im not sure about the money or talent bit. trump (and his wife) show a striking lack of both. perhaps one could add having a rich dad or being a tall leggy slovenian to the criteria?
I suppose getting to be the president of the world's most powerful nation is of itself a considerable talent.

Though of course in a democracy it also indicates a spectacular lack of talent on the part of the electorate.

Wicky

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2014
Colchester, Essex
www.jhepburn.co.uk
£1000 pint?

Exactly a fortnight ago, Mr Farage tweeted from a trip to America, where he was a guest at a rally for President Donald Trump.

So how has he managed to quarantine back in the UK for 14 days, if he was in the States two weeks ago?

Mr Farage insists he has "been back from the USA for two weeks".

His spokesman told me he flew straight back to Britain on the same day and claimed a negative coronavirus test after he got back had allowed him to head back out and about again.

But the Department of Health has told me getting a test does not get you out of quarantining - self isolating at home - because a test could amount to a false negative; you could be harbouring the virus but not yet be symptomatic.

• Agree
Reactions: oyster

wheeler

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2016
Scotland
£1000 pint?

Exactly a fortnight ago, Mr Farage tweeted from a trip to America, where he was a guest at a rally for President Donald Trump.

So how has he managed to quarantine back in the UK for 14 days, if he was in the States two weeks ago?

His spokesman told me he flew straight back to Britain on the same day and claimed a negative coronavirus test after he got back had allowed him to head back out and about again.

But the Department of Health has told me getting a test does not get you out of quarantining - self isolating at home - because a test could amount to a false negative; you could be harbouring the virus but not yet be symptomatic.
He didn't come back via Barnard Castle did he?

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
£1000 pint?

What would undermine the system still further is failure of the authorities to follow up what appears to be a cut-and-dried case. Yet, I can't see anyone actually taking it up and ensuring he is appropriated handled - prosecuted, fined, whatever.

Advertisers