Brexit, for once some facts.

RossG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2019
Ross, While I can symphasise with your sentiments, i am afraid that every government and health provider, indeed every medical practitioner has to do this balancing act every day. The cost benefit analysis is carried out continuously, in some cases the medical profession will call it" quality of life "issues . E.g My mother was denied a hip replacement because the prospects of a recovery into what was chalk like bone was highly problematic, My mother in law was denied a full general dental treatment on a number of rotten teeth, because the anastetic would scramble the few wits she had left. my father in law was unfortunately prepped for surgery , with a burst vena cava , because the medical team were made fear litigation... so instead of comfortably saying goodbye to his children he bleed out on the table.
the exact same calculation are done on regional and national level. Who decides, where the ambulances are located? and how amny?
Here's how I see it Danidl, as you say there's a cost benefit analysis going on all the time in the health service, a constant " Is it really worth it" scenario you might say. Now what plays on my mind is who is making these life or death decisions, who has the right qualifications to play God ? the way covid has been handled is a perfect example of how to get it wrong. We were told from the offset masks don't work and we shouldn't wear them and deplete the resources that the NHS will need. This has turned out to be completely untrue, masks most definitely do work which is why Doctors, Nurses, Dentists and come to that car body sprayers wear them. Also from what I've managed to discover there never was a shortage anyway. Moving the elderly to care homes where they would be unprotected, another catastrophic decision and so it goes on. If you have no confidence in your Government or any controlling authorities you're left with the choice of either shrugging your shoulders and saying that's life or finding ways to work your way around the system to get what you want ... and that's what I do, every single day.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
  • Informative
Reactions: oldgroaner

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
What are the odds on this doing anything useful by 1st January 2021?

I can't help seeing an eight hectare red button labelled "PANIC".

Vast Brexit customs clearance centre to be built in Kent
Exclusive: council given only hours’ notice of emergency purchase of 1.2m sq ft ‘Mojo’ site
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/jul/10/vast-brexit-customs-clearance-centre-to-be-built-in-kent
interesting .. finally the UK is making some moves. I am now in France, and on passing through Dublin port , I noticed the brand new Customs storage area, fully vacant. All sheds and signage long completed . On arriving at Cherburg , I noticed relabeled customs sheds , for non EU visitors.

• Informative
Reactions: oyster and Woosh

RossG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2019
All good news .. the sooner we get out completely the sooner we can start making plans to get back in again, can't wait. Stay brushed up on your French & German that's all that the EU really consists of anyway, and one day there'll be the three of us all back together again.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
The government has said that face masks are ineffective and do more harm than good? Why are they trying to endanger us by making us wear these harmful devices?
in France, people wear face masks in trains, shops, streets, some wear them even on beaches etc.
You'll get told off if you forget to take your mask with you went you go out.
After you leave the train etc or after every 3-4 hours, you'll bin the current mask and put on a new mask.
They sell boxes of 50 in supermarkets.

Barry Shittpeas

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 1, 2020
I am now in France,
I know we have had our differences in the past, but I’m very sorry to hear about this. I wouldn’t wish France on anyone. How are you coping with all of those French people everywhere? I hope that you manage to find a way out and and are able to return to your home very soon.

Last edited:

Barry Shittpeas

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 1, 2020
In their latest quest for someone or something to blame, the BLAME community are blaming teachers for poor educational performance because they mark down black / ethnic children’s predicted exam grades, thus disadvantaging them. This latest imaginary racism can easily be resolved. The affected child can sit the exam and demonstrate how wrong and how racist teachers are. A simple solution to another non-existent BLAME manufactured situation.

Last edited:

Barry Shittpeas

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 1, 2020
I think the government has created a monster. That monster is, working from home. From reading the comments in the Mail, folks really do not want to go back to the office / workplace. They’ve had a taste of semi-retirement and they like it.

I like retirement, but the difference is I went through quite a lot of financial hardship, going without and financial risk to enable me to retire very early with more disposable income than I’ve ever had. The fancy cars, the lager & chips on foreign beaches and the garden hot-tubs need paying for, so I’m afraid it’s got to be a case of going back to the grindstone for many. It would help if our MPs showed some leadership by packing out the HoC, just to show how safe it now is to work indoors in a crowded office space.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
I know we have had our differences in the past, but I’m very sorry to hear about this. I wouldn’t wish France on anyone. How are you coping with all of those French people everywhere? I hope that you manage to find a way out and and are able to return to your home very soon.
Yes it was very difficult. I have been wanting to get over and cut the grass since march. In parts of my estate it was up to 2 metres tall,and the ragwort was majestic

RossG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2019
Yes it was very difficult. I have been wanting to get over and cut the grass since march. In parts of my estate it was up to 2 metres tall,and the ragwort was majestic
You can get ointment for Ragwort that's turned Majestic, probably cheaper in France too.
Have a nice time over there BTW :)

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Just heard on the radio that London's ExCel 4000 bed Nightingale emergency hospital only treated a total of 50 Covid-19 patients before being closed.

• Informative
Reactions: Woosh and Nev

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
However, better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.
I'm not convinced, I think by shutting down all routine hospital treatment, cancelling almost all operations, shifting all care patients to care homes and large scaling the Nightingales in both size and numbers, we went well over the top.

A bit more either/or and a bit less panic would have been more sensible and I'm not aware of any other country creating Nightingales.

• Agree
Reactions: RossG and Woosh

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Just heard on the radio that London's ExCel 4000 bed Nightingale emergency hospital only treated a total of 50 Covid-19 patients before being closed.
And how busy where the four mortuaries there?
Boris missed a big opportunity there, he should have emptied the old codgers straight into them instead of into care homes, not only would it have cut out the middle man, but think of the saving of costs on Ambulance diesel, tyres and wear and tear :cool:
And most likely halved the death rate too!

Last edited:
Reactions: Woosh

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I don't know what they called them (probably not what Google translate tells me is Chinese for nightingales - 夜莺 - Yèyīng), but didn't China build at least one huge hospital in ten days (or whatever)?
China is rather bigger than us though, we attempted to build SEVEN Nightingales, but I don't think most of them were ever completed or used.

• Agree
Reactions: Nev

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
I'm not convinced, I think by shutting down all routine hospital treatment, cancelling almost all operations, shifting all care patients to care homes and large scaling the Nightingales in both size and numbers, we went well over the top.

A bit more either/or and a bit less panic would have been more sensible and I'm not aware of any other country creating Nightingales.
A bit less panic would clearly have been good; a sensibly timed initial shutdown would have saved the need for panic.

• Agree
Reactions: oyster and flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
A bit less panic would clearly have been good; a sensibly timed initial shutdown would have saved the need for panic.
Agreed, but my posts are on the basis that chance was lost long ago and panic was still the wrong answer. All we've done is waste vast sums of money yet still achieved record deaths.

Advertisers