Brexit, for once some facts.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
I'm not convinced, I think by shutting down all routine hospital treatment, cancelling almost all operations, shifting all care patients to care homes and large scaling the Nightingales in both size and numbers, we went well over the top.

A bit more either/or and a bit less panic would have been more sensible and I'm not aware of any other country creating Nightingales.
China did, and NYC did .. in central park.
but yes, in retrospect, they could have designated some hospitals as totally CV19 free and continued hip replacements etc

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
in France, people wear face masks in trains, shops, streets, some wear them even on beaches etc.
You'll get told off if you forget to take your mask with you went you go out.
After you leave the train etc or after every 3-4 hours, you'll bin the current mask and put on a new mask.
They sell boxes of 50 in supermarkets.
My observations in a French rural town is that people are not all wearing masks , but a large proportion are. and the sensible spacing and distancing is happening automatically . The floor markings are 1 m not 2 m , but thats OK.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
China is rather bigger than us though, we attempted to build SEVEN Nightingales, but I don't think most of them were ever completed or used.
Flecc, the Chinese built 1 in their 11 Million lockdown zone. , So pro rata, and when the UK was spiralling upwards, for 66 M , 5 to 7 was not unreasonable. .. But as you say, the errors were long before that.
Actually in Dublin, a hotel ballroom was outfitted as a CV19 centre,

• Informative
Reactions: oyster and flecc

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
My observations in a French rural town is that people are not all wearing masks , but a large proportion are. and the sensible spacing and distancing is happening automatically . The floor markings are 1 m not 2 m , but thats OK.
I was in maldon today, nearly no one were wearing masks. It was relatively quiet but in the old village centre/promenade people milled around without any real distancing. I cycled to the tender and rowed off as quick as possible. WHO say as everyone by now know transmission is mainly aerosol and more contagious than first thought. Call me neurotic, but I cannot see this premature lifting ending in anything other than tears (and carefully hidden statistics)

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
The first of many breaks of Brexit immigration promises in the Independent
"
Brexit: Foreign care workers to be given special visas to move to UK to ease staffing crisis fears

Fast-track, cut-price permission to take up job offers – already promised for NHS professionals – will now be offered to some care staff, after widespread pressure

Next no doubt the Hotel and pub staff?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
foreign students are going to be given leave to stay for 3 years after graduation. It is clear that the government counts on some if not most willing to take up the offer and perhaps will stay longer.
it's no good that Sunak pretends that the conservative government can avoid austerity and cut taxes after Covid is over.
their last card to play is credit: get people into taking on more debts. Housing is one way to borrow big: 7-10 years of salary. We need immigrants more now than ever before to stoke up demand for housing.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Back to brexit. Beholden to China and the USA - that's really taking back control.

The Observer view on post-Brexit UK-China relations
Observer editorial

Zealots touted a future based on lucrative trade deals with Beijing. Only now are they are waking up to the risks
Anger and alarm about China is mounting rapidly in government circles and especially among Tory rightwingers, anxious about national security, unfair trade practices and Hong Kong. It’s certainly true that the increasingly aggressive behaviour of President Xi Jinping’s authoritarian regime is deeply worrying. It’s a pity that the Tory grandees who are making the most noise now did not raise their concerns much earlier, before Britain became dependent on Beijing’s favours to escape its Brexit mess.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/jul/12/the-observer-view-on-post-brexit-uk-china-relations

• Agree
Reactions: Nev and flecc

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Isn't it wonderful how the brexit brigade (or mob, if you prefer) seem to think taking back control is so right for the UK (for which, read "England"), but so wrong for Wales? (And, I assume, Scotland.)

The Brexit Party will campaign in next year's Senedd election to scrap the current system of devolution.

Mark Reckless, leader of the party's group in the Welsh Parliament, said "devolution has gone so much further" than some people thought it would.

• Agree
Reactions: Nev and Woosh

Barry Shittpeas

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 1, 2020
Agreed, but my posts are on the basis that chance was lost long ago and panic was still the wrong answer. All we've done is waste vast sums of money yet still achieved record deaths.
I think it was right to boost the NHS. In fairness to the government they couldn’t predict with certainty how the disease situation would play out. I can’t understand why they built so much extra bed capacity when they knew the NHS didn’t have the staff to care for the extra patients. Many hospitals, including the one near me, has been running at well below 50% bed capacity for many years due to lack of staff. It was either political window dressing or the Nightingales were intended to be death camps where the hopeless cases went.

We have done very badly as a nation because there has been absolutely no clarity or leadership, with frequent poor examples of behaviour being set from the very top.

Looking back, the government’s priority, with every measure introduced, has been to make sure they leave themselves with an opportunity to put distance between them any negative consequences. That’s why they have been late with every single announcement. Politics and personal preservation has been put before public health.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
I think it was right to boost the NHS.
The NHS is very different to the kitchen sink. You can't just turn it on or off. It takes time and resources. Planning and understanding.

That there was such a need to boost the NHS is a fundamental indictment of the government's management of the NHS. Yes, you don't have certainty. But you do have results on flu planning and Ebola experiences.

• Agree
Reactions: Nev and flecc

Wicky

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2014
Colchester, Essex
www.jhepburn.co.uk
The first of many breaks of Brexit immigration promises in the Independent
"
Brexit: Foreign care workers to be given special visas to move to UK to ease staffing crisis fears

Fast-track, cut-price permission to take up job offers – already promised for NHS professionals – will now be offered to some care staff, after widespread pressure

Next no doubt the Hotel and pub staff?
Wouldn't be surprised to see a Tebbit syle 'get on your bike' repurposing for hospitally sector staff / airline staff 'encouragement' at job centres to fill care and farm vacancies...

Wicky

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2014
Colchester, Essex
www.jhepburn.co.uk
The NHS is very different to the kitchen sink. You can't just turn it on or off. It takes time and resources. Planning and understanding.

That there was such a need to boost the NHS is a fundamental indictment of the government's management of the NHS. Yes, you don't have certainty. But you do have results on flu planning and Ebola experiences.
Govt just dug out existing contigency plans and adapted on the fly - though actively recruiting retired doctors and nurses in the vulnerable age bracket as hospital reinforcements while going by the book might have finished a few off prematurely...

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Govt just dug out existing contigency plans and adapted on the fly - though actively recruiting retired doctors and nurses in the vulnerable age bracket as hospital reinforcements while going by the book might have finished a few off prematurely...
And failed on PPE despite warnings. How much due to doctrinaire privatisation?

And, as I have said several times, what idiot puts it all in one location? Remember the days when computer people used to talk about contingency planning including a 747 "landing" on the building?

• Agree
Reactions: Nev

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
We are all worrying for nothing, this video of the sunshine to come is still on the Leave.uk You tube site, so everything must be going to plan.....
No Deal is not going to happen for a start, and then
"The Goodness will flow" as someone once said (and came to regret) :cool:

The line "Politicians will become more accountable" must be an all time great among a blizzard of lies.

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
WHO say as everyone by now know transmission is mainly aerosol and more contagious than first thought.
In which case as I've proposed before, a very high proportion of the population are immune and a further high proportion only suffer very slight effects from infection.

It all fits. With aerosol transmission in a very crowded place like London we did get a double size hit straight away as all the vulnerable were very quickly infected, but it quickly stalled and our rate has dropped well below the rest of the country since with the vulnerable already used up.

None of the official or scientic explanations fit that pattern, but the rational explanation I've given does. That's why I don't believe we will get a serious second hit of Londoners in London this Autumn/Winter, despite the easing of lockdown, though tourists and visitors might as they are permitted again.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Barry Shittpeas

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
We are all worrying for nothing, this video of the sunshine to come is still on the Leave.uk You tube site, so everything must be going to plan.....
No Deal is not going to happen for a start, and then
"The Goodness will flow" as someone once said (and came to regret) :cool:

The line "Politicians will become more accountable" must be an all time great among a blizzard of lies.
Is there a point at which the UK population achieves herd immunity?

Just how long until we achieve herd immunity to the lies and worse of the current government and pretty much everything to do with brexit? We must be getting there, soon, please....

• :D
Reactions: oldgroaner

RossG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2019
In which case as I've proposed before, a very high proportion of the population are immune and a further high proportion only suffer very slight effects from infection.

It all fits. With aerosol transmission in a very crowded place like London we did get a double size hit straight away as all the vulnerable were very quickly infected, but it quickly stalled and our rate has dropped well below the rest of the country since with the vulnerable already used up.

None of the official or scientic explanations fit that pattern, but the rational explanation I've given does. That's why I don't believe we will get a serious second hit of Londoners in London this Autumn/Winter, despite the easing of lockdown, though tourists and visitors might as they are permitted again.
let's not forget though flecc we don't know anything about immunity yet, it could last days weeks or months who knows ? Does immunity from covid exist at all ?
We're on top of Flu as there is a vaccine but we are not immune from it. The next big step is a vaccine for covid, until then in theory we could be (should we wish) wearing masks for years just as the Chinese do already.

Barry Shittpeas

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 1, 2020

I think you are correct.

Reactions: flecc

Barry Shittpeas

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 1, 2020
I’m pleased the camera cut away from the idiots clowning around on their knees at the Grand Prix in Austria. Thankfully not many were foolish enough to get involved. I’ve never seen anything so ridiculous.

Advertisers