Brexit, for once some facts.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Now that's what I like to see, a woman on a construction site all that swearing spitting & farting the men are just as bad !
It would be, except that's the mayor's mum. He was too scared to go on the site by himself, so she had to take him.

• :D
Reactions: flecc

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Your posts are increasingly ironic.
See liu, wu, Tao et al and long, tang et al (both June this year) for research about lack of immunity
Do you know those guys? I'd rather judge the facts for myself. I take more notice of what Flecc says than those guys, who are all paid to make reports for someone's agenda.

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
Do you know those guys? I'd rather judge the facts for myself. I take more notice of what Flecc says than those guys, who are all paid to make reports for someone's agenda.
Or, I gather, an article in telegraph 22 june referenced them (not what I usually read but I imagine you may). Yes, as it happens, I know two of them personally.
All work isnt mercenary, some of us work on things that interest us

Reactions: Woosh

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
You said on 15th May that USA deaths would reach 150k in three weeks. That was 8 1/2 weeks ago. since then, it has increased from 90K to 135k - still 15K to go. The present death rate is hovering around 2 per million per day and decreasing, or about 650 per day, so at least another 4 weeks yet. I'll let you know when they get there, if they do.

You can't spin facts like the Guardian. It was 90K when you said that:
I apologise for the 60K not 90K ,figure I was working from memory not my records.. but what I wrote on this topic is as follows.
on 15th. May “The only salient fact is that 90,000 USA citizens will have died by Saturday night due to CV19. ,And that 1.5M have the infection. With a 10% mortality rate that would give 150k deaths within the next three weeks,and that is before the great opening up commences . Note the USA is already 60% there.”
Written by me on 15th. May.
Note the US mortality rate at that time was 11%., on concluded cases.

On the 16th. , following your comment I wrote
“If my sillyness means that less people die, then its a folly I would gladly accept. Unfortunately my track record has been depressingly accurate. As of tonight the USA has 16K in the serious critical category, and half of those or 8k ,are likely to survive. ..and of course the surge expected from anti lockdown hasn't started yet. Note that the 90K deaths will have occurred by now. Additionally it is always the case that in rising numbers at the early stages of an epidemic, the numbers are underreported.
So regrettably the USA is on track for upwards of 150K deaths over the next 3 weeks…"

On 11th. June, and in order to jog your memory I wrote…
"Normally I let things like this slide, but at the moment and because this is very important... I am not. This being the 3 weeks later.
As of today the USA admits to 115K deaths and 17K in critical care. Based on all the other global figures , I believe these are serious underestimates"

On the 25th.of June … I wrote " On the contrary , my calculations say otherwise. . The only reliable figure is the confirmed infection rate. ..which the USA figure is about 2.5M. . The next important figure is the concluded rate. That means when medical intervention is finished. The GLOBAL figure is that the death rate for this is 9% .. down from the 11% of a month ago.
Now the USA figures for concluded are bizzare.. in particular look at Michigan,where they assume that if someone survived 2 weeks they are cured .
US medical treatment is at least on a par with other countries, but not significantly better.. so 5% of the 2.5M are on my probable fatality list.."

Fortunately for the USA, the lockdown measures imposed in NYC , NJ and CA, were having the desired effect and the infected numbers dropped rapidly. The madness of spring beak etc was only starting elsewhere .
With more testing, the fatality rate will drop further from the current USA level of 8% of concluded cases, towards 4%

Last edited:
Reactions: oyster and Woosh

Barry Shittpeas

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 1, 2020
Not quite true. I carry a sanitiser spray containing (mostly) alcohol - and I regularly spray basket handles - indeed whole baskets. Some shops do spray theirs - but all too many don't.

Supermarkets and other food shops should put a lot more effort into keeping baskets and trolleys clean all the time. Some are absolutely disgusting. Which is ridiculous when you consider the better ones do put quite a bit of effort into hygiene in other areas.
I don’t think I’ve been in a supermarket, or other store where trolleys are used, and not seen sanitising materials available for use. All have had sprays, sanitiser gels and blue paper tissue wipes at the entrance and exit. Sadly, I see less than half the shoppers using them. They just walk straight past it all and enter the store like they did during July 2019. I don’t know if that’s good or bad. In a way I sort of envy their relaxed attitude, but I can’t help feeling that they may have fallen victim to the government’s deliberately unclear, mixed and confused messages. I wonder if they are like the first wave of machine gun fodder to go over the top during the First World War. Led to believe it’s safe and that it will all be over by Christmas. Time will tell.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
More good news. somebody has faith in UK:
Reporting yet another incredible group of people:

We have worked tirelessly to take ownership of this site to allow us to get on with my plan for jobs, creating good quality high skilled local jobs for local workers.

The more I work, the more tired I get. How do they do it?

It is easier for a development corporation given £137 million to do big things than for most of us.

The article is directly from the development corporation, it appears. No surprise they are doing so well.

https://www.southteesdc.com/jobs-boost-4-5million-sq-ft-development-at-former-steelworks-to-create-9000-jobs/

Don't get me wrong, remediating the land and developing good businesses is highly desirable and I wish it well.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Don't you ever think about what you read? That's bloody obvious. You only make anti-bodies when you have the virus. How many chicken pox anti-bodies do you think are running around your bloodstream right now?

That's typical Guardian fake news. They take something that's sort of fact out of context and put a spin on it to suit their agenda, whatever that is. Use your brain and logic instead of accepting that sort of crap. You've really let yourself down on that one. We expect that sort of thing from Danidl, who gets everything wrong, and the others that are incapable of thinking, but you should do better.
Of course I thought about it. Hence, my added words.

The article does itself question the headline claim. As in:

But Prof Arne Akbar, an immunologist at UCL, said antibodies are only part of the story. There is growing evidence, he said, that T cells produced to fight common colds can protect people as well. Those patients who fight the virus with T cells may not need to churn out high levels of antibodies, he added.

Reactions: Nev

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
I can assure you that none of that happens anywhere here as some others have confirmed on baskets, and security here would take a very dim view of you putting things into your shopping bag before the checkout.
Lidl no longer have baskets in the "traditional" sense. They have wheeled baskets with long handles. They are horrible to use - requiring much bending (or just dropping things on top of each other without regard to the damage that causes) and too heavy to carry. I could manage, partner finds it hard.

We almost always use our own shopping bag round the store and unload it onto the till belt. Never been an issue.

• Informative
Reactions: flecc

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
We now have another sad addition to Famous Last Words:

30-year-old dies after attending 'Covid party' in Texas

Patient said: ‘I think I made a mistake, I thought this was a hoax, but it’s not’, according to health official

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Lidl no longer have baskets in the "traditional" sense. They have wheeled baskets with long handles. They are horrible to use - requiring much bending (or just dropping things on top of each other without regard to the damage that causes) and too heavy to carry. I could manage, partner finds it hard.
Lidl is the one of the two major supermarkets I don't visit, they are in the opposite direction from me and it sounds like that's just as well. My route to an edge of town Sainsburys takes me past an M & S, Co-op, Aldi, Iceland, Waitrose and Somerfield, seven in just five miles. The other one I don't see is ASDA, they are on the other side of Croydon.

We almost always use our own shopping bag round the store and unload it onto the till belt. Never been an issue.
Since Danidl has said this too, it seems like a country thing, perhaps more relaxed on security. Ours can be quite tough, perhaps not surprising in a big city with very busy large supermarkets.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I don’t think I’ve been in a supermarket, or other store where trolleys are used, and not seen sanitising materials available for use. All have had sprays, sanitiser gels and blue paper tissue wipes at the entrance and exit.
Look at the list of my supermarkets in this post.

Not one has any of those at the entrance or elsewhere that I've seen, we're on our own and I've never seen anyone doing their own disinfecting. Clearly London and North Surrey are very different places from those many of you live in. Yet we have a very low infection rate now after an initial very high level way back in April.

Advertisers