Brexit, for once some facts.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Lidl is the one of the two major supermarkets I don't visit, they are in the opposite direction from me and it sounds like that's just as well. My route to an edge of town Sainsburys takes me past an M & S, Co-op, Aldi, Iceland, Waitrose and Somerfield, seven in just five miles. The other one I don't see is ASDA, they are on the other side of Croydon.

Since Danidl has said this too, it seems like a country thing, perhaps more relaxed on security. Ours can be quite tough, perhaps not surprising in a big city with very busy large supermarkets.
We have Tesco, Aldi, Lidl, Morrisons, Iceland and M&S. With Asda and Co-op reachable. M&S are definitely still wiping baskets. Don't use Iceland or Co-op.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Lidl is the one of the two major supermarkets I don't visit, they are in the opposite direction from me and it sounds like that's just as well. My route to an edge of town Sainsburys takes me past an M & S, Co-op, Aldi, Iceland, Waitrose and Somerfield, seven in just five miles. The other one I don't see is ASDA, they are on the other side of Croydon.

Since Danidl has said this too, it seems like a country thing, perhaps more relaxed on security. Ours can be quite tough, perhaps not surprising in a big city with very busy large supermarkets.
security possibly, but then I have an honest face. But the town would be 35K population, and it was Tesco. The only place I came accross scruitiny like this was in major french supermarkets, in cities , Nantes , where they stapled closed any shopping bags being brought into the shopping area. .

• Informative
Reactions: oyster and flecc

RossG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2019
Up the road from me in Pompey they have around three of every store going, they all sanitize. In Waitrose I was stopped from picking up a basket because it hadn't been cleaned, rules is rules.
Lots of people now put stuff in their own bags these days, most Supermarkets are happy for you to do so. You haven't stolen anything until it's passed the checkout anyway so it's not a problem.

Reactions: oyster

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Is this the right way of tackling the issue?

In my view, people who attack 999 emergency workers should be banged to rights. But we end up with a bizarre legal situation in which some people are differently protected to others.

Plan to double maximum sentence for attacks on 999 emergency workers

Offenders in England and Wales could face up to two years in prison under new proposals

Shouldn't we all be similarly protected but being someone engaged or employed as an emergency worker should be an exacerbating factor?

Barry Shittpeas

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 1, 2020
Is this the right way of tackling the issue?

In my view, people who attack 999 emergency workers should be banged to rights. But we end up with a bizarre legal situation in which some people are differently protected to others.

Plan to double maximum sentence for attacks on 999 emergency workers

Offenders in England and Wales could face up to two years in prison under new proposals

Shouldn't we all be similarly protected but being someone engaged or employed as an emergency worker should be an exacerbating factor?
We don’t need new laws to provide a longer jail sentence. We already have sufficient legislation to pass custodial sentences for this type of offender. For causing a bruise, existing laws (Section 47) allow for a five year prison sentence to be passed.

What we should be looking at doing is putting one of those dog microchips into these people and and taking biometric data to ID them. From there, all medical assistance can then be withdrawn and they can be left to die if / when becoming ill. A cheap and simple solution which would also make a good deterrent without adding to the prison population.

• :D
Reactions: oyster and Woosh

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
We don’t need new laws to provide a longer jail sentence. We already have sufficient legislation to pass custodial sentences for this type of offender. For causing a bruise, existing laws (Section 47) allow for a five year prison sentence to be passed.
Politicians seem to be much happier at passing some new legislation rather than ensuring existing laws are properly enforced. Guess it is much easier to come up with some words and a vote or two rather than manage the reality of law enforcement.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Politicians seem to be much happier at passing some new legislation rather than ensuring existing laws are properly enforced. Guess it is much easier to come up with some words and a vote or two rather than manage the reality of law enforcement.
you see , once the law is passed the politician is basically out of the loop. All they can do is criticism of how the executive are executing the legislation. On a good day they can invite the heads of the organisations into select committee meetings and rip them a new one. But that is counterproductive because the heads say .. Yes yuo gave us the extra tasks, but not the funding we asked for....

• Agree
Reactions: oyster and Nev

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Reactions: Nev

RossG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2019
See, there's a way round everything !
BTW you can now buy face masks emblazoned with the Presidential Seal, very nice.ftba.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: oyster

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Is "the country" the UK or England?

Regardless, I am so glad I do not live in Kent.

The UK government is to build “10 to 12” new Brexit border customs and controls sites across the country in a move that Michael Gove has said cements the mission to “take back control” from the EU.

In the biggest shake-up to trading with the EU for 50 years, the chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster announced the £470m programme for facilities to process freight going to and from the EU, along with a 206-page document detailing new border controls.

Five sites are likely to be in Kent and are expected to be operational by 1 January, when the UK leaves the customs union and single market.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/jul/13/uk-to-open-10-12-brexit-border-customs-sites-in-eu-trading-shake-up

And what is happening in NI and between GB and NI?

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Wasn't Boris going to build a bridge? ;)

Last time he set out to build a bridge, in London, we ended up with a cable car! Crossing the Irish Sea in a cable car would be quite an experience. o_O
I thought the bridge was going to be from Scotland, so before it's built it probably won't be GB anyway.

• :D
Reactions: oyster and flecc

Advertisers