Brexit, for once some facts.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
This was detected by a Nucleic acid test on foodstuffs moving around from China to South America I believe it was.
Still I would have thought cooking would take care of any viruses.
I thought the Chinese were saying it was found on food they had imported!

I just thought that it might have been detected here - but that would require someone to be looking...

I'm sure cooking would work. But the people who deal with frozen food, and cooking, might well get exposed before the food has been cooked. And not all frozen food is ever cooked - ice cream? :)

• :D
Reactions: POLLY

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Trump was aiming to style himself on Putin, he gave the game away when he hinted it would be a good idea to have a President as a figurehead permanently in place like Kim Jong-un then the next member of the family would take over when the time came to do so. That's why he's so angry now, he just needed four more years to work on the people and who knows he might have pulled it off.
I don't want to think about Trump pulling it off. You.... o_O:eek::eek::eek:

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
View attachment 39554

I just thought that it might have been detected here - but that would require someone to be looking...

I'm sure cooking would work. But the people who deal with frozen food, and cooking, might well get exposed before the food has been cooked. And not all frozen food is ever cooked - ice cream? :)
Yes.. Ice cream worries me. I would not be overworried by the unopened tubs direct from a factory, but the open scoops in the high street Gelato shops or even the whipped cones are potential sources.

Reactions: oyster and POLLY

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
I remember reading somewhere (Scientific American?) something like 90% of plastic waste in the oceans comes from one or two rivers in Asia.
Well that would make sense. Once all the steelware in the world came from Sheffield, and the worlds buttons from Bermingham, , now with the majority of volume production in China , ....

Reactions: oyster

RossG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2019
Well that would make sense. Once all the steelware in the world came from Sheffield, and the worlds buttons from Bermingham, , now with the majority of volume production in China , ....
Wok you mean...like steel chopsticks :D

RossG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2019
I suppose covid could be on anything and everything really, you do all you can that's all. The general advice is still to wipe everything you bring indoors as in food containers etc. I still do using a damp cloth and sanitizer spray.
Incidentally sprays on their own wont work effectively as they can't penetrate the outer protein layer of covid, that's why you have to rub with a cloth to bust through. You could use anything to spray with, disinfectant diluted is cheap enough. The only thing that works on contact is bleach, if you think about it that's why it works on grease and so breaks down the waterproof layer of covid. Stone dead in 30 sec so I gather.

Reactions: POLLY

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Some people have been reading the "fake news" about Magna Carta (apparently, just putting up a notice quoting MC completely removes you from the law).

I wonder if she would be so keen on it if, for example, some criminal thieved from her but had that Magna Carta passage embroidered on their jacket - so the law didn't apply to them.

I'm willing to consider lots of arguments about the issues. But this is just ridiculous.

A hairdressers in northern England has been ordered to close by the courts, after repeatedly opening during the latest lockdown.
Sinead Quinn, owner of Quinn Blakey Hairdressing near Bradford, has already been fined £17,000 for trading during November’s restrictions.
When approached by officials from Kirklees Council, she quoted the 13th century Magna Carta, one of Britain’s key constitutional documents, saying the Covid laws didn’t apply to her.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2020/nov/30/coronavirus-live-news-dr-fauci-warns-of-surge-upon-surge-in-us-cases-after-thanksgiving#block-5fc562008f087d8bdb34b92e

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Now we are getting the "No, it's not mandatory but if you don't get vaccinated you can be refused access anywhere." message:

Pubs and venues may turn away people not Covid-vaccinated, says minister

Nadhim Zahawi, in charge of UK rollout, says technology could help track who has had jab
The MP for Stratford-upon-Avon and minister for business and industry said people would have to “make a decision” on whether to get vaccinated, and said if they chose not to they could face severe restrictions.
https://www.theguardian.com/society/2020/nov/30/pubs-and-cinemas-may-turn-away-people-not-covid-vaccinated-says-minister

I predict some strong reactions to this.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Some people have been reading the "fake news" about Magna Carta (apparently, just putting up a notice quoting MC completely removes you from the law).

I wonder if she would be so keen on it if, for example, some criminal thieved from her but had that Magna Carta passage embroidered on their jacket - so the law didn't apply to them.

I'm willing to consider lots of arguments about the issues. But this is just ridiculous.

A hairdressers in northern England has been ordered to close by the courts, after repeatedly opening during the latest lockdown.
Sinead Quinn, owner of Quinn Blakey Hairdressing near Bradford, has already been fined £17,000 for trading during November’s restrictions.
When approached by officials from Kirklees Council, she quoted the 13th century Magna Carta, one of Britain’s key constitutional documents, saying the Covid laws didn’t apply to her.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2020/nov/30/coronavirus-live-news-dr-fauci-warns-of-surge-upon-surge-in-us-cases-after-thanksgiving#block-5fc562008f087d8bdb34b92e
The Magna Carta only applied to Lords and by extension to Bishops , I suspect Ms Quinn would actually be a serf. DeMonfort sought to have it extended to freemen ...for some reason that did not get a lot of support from the Lords.

OxygenJames

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 8, 2012
View attachment 39554

Ha. Like 14.3m people in the UK are actually in poverty! Right.

You can't make this up - but it suits some people to believe this sort of thing (it all comes down to how they skew the definition of what it is to live in poverty - some of them take it to be anything up to 80% of median income - like that's actual poverty!!!).

Poverty to me means real poverty - not that you can't afford the latest iphone or sky-tv package - I mean world bank definition - having under $1.90/day (2011 purchasing power parity).

Don't believe anybody who tells you otherwise.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015

You can't make this up - but it suits some people to believe this sort of thing (it all comes down to how they skew the definition of what it is to live in poverty - some of them take it to be anything up to 80% of median income - like that's actual poverty!!!).

Poverty to me means real poverty - not that you can't afford the latest iphone or sky-tv package - I mean world bank definition - having under $1.90/day (2011 purchasing power parity).

When the evidence doesn't suit you can always fallback on a bigoted opinion

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales

Much of the point was to illustrate that the rate of poverty reduction worldwide, as you showed, just might not be matched by a similar change in the UK.

The precise definition is not so important for highlighting trends.

• Agree
Reactions: Woosh

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland

I agree with you regarding poverty, but many people take relative levels instead. I was once in Zurich, and it seemed to me that ever office girl was driving a Porche ..so if one was reduced to a VW it would seem like poverty. Shades of Janis Joplin and God send me a Mercedes-Benz!.

Reactions: flecc and oyster

Advertisers