Brexit, for once some facts.

RossG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2019
As I understand it this new variant has been around a while overseas and what's happened is we've left the door open once again and said come on in. No surprise London has been taken up a notch look no further than your nearest airport, it doesn't fly in on it's own we help it....when will they learn :rolleyes:

• Agree
  • :D
Reactions: POLLY and flecc

Barry Shittpeas

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 1, 2020
Nonsense, the tiers are making no difference, nobody is taking any notice of them and we are still benefitting from our early hit.

Where Covid-19 infection and death rates are concerned, there is no such place as London, maps don't suffer from viruses, read this post from above.

Some areas of London are suffering for obvious reasons as I've previously commented, but many areas like mine are not. And overall we are in a far better position than areas which had little early hit like the North and many parts of Wales.

Just widen your horizon and look at Germany. Highly praised at the outset for the way they handled Covid and the very low infection rate then, now they are paying the price for that with their all important Christmas destroyed by lockdown as infections hurtle skywards. The cost of avoiding the vulnerable not getting it first time round, it gets them in the end.

While in Italy, although they have travel restrictions this Christmas, Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte has reassured children that Babbo Natale (Father Christmas) will definitely be visiting as he is exempt from global travel restrictions.
Tier 3 has worked around here. Pre 3, infection rates were pretty high, now they have halved since going to T3. I think a big difference has been made by shutting pubs down.

It's pretty simple, let people get close together and the rate goes up, as in London, apply a degree of forced separation, shut pubs etc, and it stabilises / goes down, like here. It's how a contagious virus works as far as I am seeing. That also seems to be the message from leading health experts.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
As I understand it this new variant has been around a while overseas and what's happened is we've left the door open once again and said come on in. No surprise London has been taken up a notch look no further than your nearest airport, it doesn't fly in on it's own we help it....when will they learn :rolleyes:
True, but there is no London as being one place where Covid is concerned. The worst London boroughs supplying Heathrow's 76,000 staff are badly hit. My South Londom borough supplying staff and passengers to Gatwick was hit very badly at first but with Gatwick very quickly almost shut down, no longer have been.

I've been saying this for ages but our authorities dont seem to recognise the obvious.

Reactions: POLLY

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
It's pretty simple, let people get close together and the rate goes up, as in London, apply a degree of forced separation, shut pubs etc, and it stabilises / goes down, like here. It's how a contagious virus works as far as I am seeing. That also seems to be the message from leading health experts.
That is emphatically not how it's changed in London. A few areas have always been high, others have risen, others started high but have gone down, none of it related to pubs which are everywhere. In most cases the reasons are blindingly obvious.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Just widen your horizon and look at Germany. Highly praised at the outset for the way they handled Covid and the very low infection rate then, now they are paying the price for that with their all important Christmas destroyed by lockdown as infections hurtle skywards.
Infections hurtle skywards, relatively. What by their standards is skywards closely matches UK figures over December so far.

• Informative
Reactions: POLLY and oyster

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Infections hurtle skywards, relatively. What by their standards is skywards closely matches UK figures over December so far.

Daily figures for deaths close to ours now, this from total deaths being only one third of ours to date with 20% greater population. So very much hurtling skywards much faster than ours.

Barry Shittpeas

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 1, 2020
All good here mate. Getting more than bored with the lock down now though.
Same here, the golf hut is shut, Masonicrotary club isn’t doing much either. Just spending the days polishing my golf racquets, pulling on a pair of preposterous slacks and nipping down to the local food bank to have a look at some poor people. :D

Reactions: oldgroaner

Barry Shittpeas

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 1, 2020
True, but there is no London as being one place where Covid is concerned. The worst London boroughs supplying Heathrow's 76,000 staff are badly hit. My South Londom borough supplying staff and passengers to Gatwick was hit very badly at first but with Gatwick very quickly almost shut down, no longer have been.

I've been saying this for ages but our authorities dont seem to recognise the obvious.
I can’t see the logic in this. Coronavirus is like a fire in a haystack. The fire is burning in London, it’s been lit and maybe the matches that initially lit it did come via the airports. To suggest that the airports are still contributing is like throwing more matches onto an already well established fire. It makes no difference and it’s wrong, the damage is done, the fire is raging.

These burning haystacks are throwing out sparks and if there is another haystack nearby, it will set that on fire too. Tier 2 places the haystacks too close together, so the fire is spreading and the number of fires is increasing. This is confirmed by the data we are seeing from London and the southeast. Tier 3 moves the haystacks further away from each other, some are still being set alight by the sparks thrown out by those that are burning, but the number that are alight at any one time is either constant or falling, and that is also proven by the data.

To suggest that London had a big haystack fire in March, is thereby suffering less now and is less susceptible to another massive fire is plain wrong. There is still plenty of tinder dry hay in London and unless something is done it’s all going to go up in flames again.

Last edited:

Barry Shittpeas

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 1, 2020
An investigation has found that Unconscious Biased Training is a sack of ****. Did that conclusion really take an investigation?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I can’t see the logic in this. Coronavirus is like a fire in a haystack. The fire is burning in London, it’s been lit and maybe the matches that initially lit it did come via the airports. To suggest that the airports are still contributing is like throwing more matches onto an already well established fire. It makes no difference and it’s wrong, the damage is done, the fire is raging.

These burning haystacks are throwing out sparks and if there is another haystack nearby, it will set that on fire too. Tier 2 places the haystacks too close together, so the fire is spreading and the number of fires is increasing. This is confirmed by the data we are seeing from London and the southeast. Tier 3 moves the haystacks further away from each other, some are still being set alight by the sparks thrown out by those that are burning, but the number that are alight at any one time is either constant or falling, and that is also proven by the data.

To suggest that London had a big haystack fire in March, is thereby suffering less now and is less susceptible to another massive fire is plain wrong. There is still plenty of tinder dry hay in London and unless something is done it’s all going to go up in flames again.
You just haven't got a clue. Try reading what I posted instead of using your preconceptions and imagining what is logical. Forget your haystacks and tiers, there are no tiers being acted on in London. We are all continuing to use all our areas in exactly the same way and the Metropolitan Police are not acting upon tier enforcement, confirmed fact. They can't because it is impossible.

Since you are so keen on data, try remembering that 25% of Londoners had Covid-19 antibodies back in May from the huge early infection rate, the worst in th country. That meant less to catch it subsequently as proven by the marked reduction rate in infections that followed at a time when other areas little affected early continued to increase. It also meant far less of the very vulnerable so even those who were still to catch it often showed little or no symptoms. I posted all this throughout the year but you just didn't bother to read. For example my own borough of Croydon being originally London's worst affected, but then quickly becoming one of the least affected. That doesn't fit what you are saying does it?

The infection rates are going up again now, but the increases and migration routes for the disease are very uneven and highly localised to clearly identifiable areas and causes. We know our Croydon rate is due to go up much more and already known exactly the cause and where it's going to come from since we've been watching it approach for along time.

But since so many of us have long been affected it won't be like March to May all over again. Those who've died can't die again, those who were little affected will be little affected again or not at all.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland

One of your better analogies

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
You just haven't got a clue. Try reading what I posted instead of using your preconceptions and imagining what is logical. Forget your haystacks and tiers, there are no tiers being acted on in London. We are all continuing to use all our areas in exactly the same way and the Metropolitan Police are not acting upon tier enforcement, confirmed fact. They can't because it is impossible.

Since you are so keen on data, try remembering that 25% of Londoners had Covid-19 antibodies back in May from the huge early infection rate, the worst in th country. That meant less to catch it subsequently as proven by the marked reduction rate in infections that followed at a time when other areas little affected early continued to increase. It also meant far less of the very vulnerable so even those who were still to catch it often showed little or no symptoms. I posted all this throughout the year but you just didn't bother to read. For example my own borough of Croydon being originally London's worst affected, but then quickly becoming one of the least affected. That doesn't fit what you are saying does it?

The infection rates are going up again now, but the increases and migration routes for the disease are very uneven and highly localised to clearly identifiable areas and causes. We know our Croydon rate is due to go up much more and already known exactly the cause and where it's going to come from since we've been watching it approach for along time.

But since so many of us have long been affected it won't be like March to May all over again. Those who've died can't die again, those who were little affected will be little affected again or not at all.
Flecc, I do hope you are correct, but I do not believe it to be so. I have had zero respect for those population analysis studies showing widescale antibodies distribution. The only reliable test of infection is the up the nose job and two day gene replication. Try and remain safe.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Flecc, I do hope you are correct, but I do not believe it to be so. I have had zero respect for those population analysis studies showing widescale antibodies distribution. The only reliable test of infection is the up the nose job and two day gene replication. Try and remain safe.
I agree thats there's been a lot of dodgy science in the areas of testing and analysis. But our experiences in our borough and other parts of London thoughout this year have been consistent and supportive of what I've been saying and posting so whether they agree with the science or not doesn't concern me.

Like my current argument witn Barry and his, and indeed the government's, "wildfire spread" claims in relation to here in London. At the outset when our borough started with the highest rate of infection in London but then fell to one of the lowest, other areas of London did exactly the opposite over the same months. This illustrated only too clearly that there is no one place called London for Covid, so London cannot be one tier area for both maximum disease control with minimum unnecessary economic and social damage.

Until the authorities have a far better understanding of how and where communities operate and communicate and stop being dictated to by their wholly artifical boundaries, they will continue to fail to control the spread of Covid-19 and cause further unnecessary economic damage.

Barry Shittpeas

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 1, 2020
I agree thats there's been a lot of dodgy science in the areas of testing and analysis. But our experiences in our borough and other parts of London thoughout this year have been consistent and supportive of what I've been saying and posting so whether they agree with the science or not doesn't concern me.

Like my current argument witn Barry and his, and indeed the government's, "wildfire spread" claims in relation to here in London. At the outset when our borough started with the highest rate of infection in London but then fell to one of the lowest, other areas of London did exactly the opposite over the same months. This illustrated only too clearly that there is no one place called London for Covid, so London cannot be one tier area for both maximum disease control with minimum unnecessary economic and social damage.

Until the authorities have a far better understanding of how and where communities operate and communicate and stop being dictated to by their wholly artifical boundaries, they will continue to fail to control the spread of Covid-19 and cause further unnecessary economic damage.
Many areas saw a reduction in infection rates after an initial surge during March and April. I believe that was more to do with environmental conditions working against the virus during summer than anything else. Now conditions are turning in favour of the virus we are seeing rates increase everywhere, but they are tending to stabilise in the new Tier 3 areas, but continue to rise in Tier 2.

I don’t think the guess of 25% antibody rate is correct, nor is it having any significant affect. I would like your initial CV hit to be of benefit, but sadly I don’t think it will make that much difference.

The U.K. government is usually a day late and a Pound short when it turns up with advice. Nevertheless, I hope everyone follows it.

• Disagree
Reactions: POLLY and flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I don’t think the guess of 25% antibody rate is correct, nor is it having any significant affect.
I posted the link to the government's statement at the time in May, but as usual you took no notice. However perhaps you'll take more notice of yourself back on June 5th:

Something is happening. If the narrative from February / March is brought forwards to today, I would expect the virus to be raging out of control, especially in places like London when you look at scenes there. London is surprising me with its low infection rate.
The U.K. government is usually a day late and a Pound short when it turns up with advice. Nevertheless, I hope everyone follows it.
Wrong, just look at today's news. Greenwich very rightly advised their schools to switch to online only teaching this week due to their very serious local Covid situation which they know best.

But Boris Johnson and his idiots threaten them with legal action to keep their schools fully open.

Once again the facts showing that there is no one London as you and they think. You aren't just wrong, you are dangerous to life, the economy and social welfare.

Haven't the deaths Johnson and co. have caused been enough proof of how wrong they've been and still are?

Last edited:

Advertisers