Brexit, for once some facts.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Thank you ... Its good news. But the title is misleading. It is a magnetic field electric motor with the coils providing the field
Obviously since it uses magnetised coils, but Aluminium!!!
And pretty much fully recyclable not to mention stackable and uses existing control systems.
Wow!

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
It seems the old tradition of the Mafia kiss of death is still in use
"

Steve Baker MP@SteveBakerHW
· 1h
What this country needs is the complete success of @BorisJohnson, with his excellent EU deal, a successful vaccination programme and a #Road2Recovery back to freedom. I am clear Boris is the only person to lead us out of these difficulties and I support him in that endeavour.

"He may look like an idiot
and sound like an idiot
don't let that fool you......" :cool:

• :D
Reactions: Nev and oyster

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Eddy currents in aluminium - and the magnetic fields produced by them - are widely used in industry.
This doesn't work on the principle used in your home electricity meter where eddy currents turn an Aluminium disk The rotor is made of a “soft” magnetic material such as laminated steel, with projecting magnetic poles.

Last edited:

Jesus H Christ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 31, 2020
Wind turbines aren’t contributing much at the moment. I’ve noticed this power station has been going flat out since early December to make up the shortfall. I believe it’s due to be closed soon. I don’t know what will fill the gap in supply that it will leave behind.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Wind turbines aren’t contributing much at the moment. I’ve noticed this power station has been going flat out since early December to make up the shortfall. I believe it’s due to be closed soon. I don’t know what will fill the gap in supply that it will leave behind.

View attachment 40188
Don't worry I'm sure this Government will react with it's usual speed to the situation.
In which case it looks like there will be panic buying of candles before long

Reactions: Jesus H Christ

flecc

Oct 25, 2006

View attachment 40188
Covid will come to the rescue. The number of deaths by then will have substantially reduced the demand for electricity in the home.

And the now reducing number of infected will also reduce the hospital demand for current with less ventilators running pumping oxygen into lungs.

Reactions: Jesus H Christ

Jesus H Christ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 31, 2020
Covid will come to the rescue. The number of deaths by then will have substantially reduced the demand for electricity in the home.

And the now reducing number of infected will also reduce the hospital demand for current with less ventilators running pumping oxygen into lungs.
Interestingly, we’ve not had a body count today. I had heard that the government wants to stop the daily death toll from being published. Can’t think why that is. It’s not like they are very close to being the worst performing government in the world is it.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Interestingly, we’ve not had a body count today. I had heard that the government want to stop the daily death toll being published. Can’t think why that is, it’s not like they are very close to being one of the worst performing governments in the world is it.
They also want to stop Scotland publishing how many vaccines will be available - week by week. Seems zero Astra-Zenica vaccines for two weeks in May rather upset them.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Obviously since it uses magnetised coils, but Aluminium!!!
And pretty much fully recyclable not to mention stackable and uses existing control systems.
Wow!
Aluminum coils ... obvious material the higher resistivity easily overcome by thicker gauge, and still lighter and much cheaper than copper . Just a bit more bulky, which will not matter in the application . You may not be aware but the bulk of the HV GRID is aluminum ... the structure is of a steel high tensile core with 6 segments of aluminum wrapped around and the whole lot coated with a plastic jacket ... not for insulation but for corrosion resistance. The aluminum looks like an Orange in cross section with the steel where the pips are.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland

View attachment 40188
Yes we nearly had a power outage on 6th. January, We were Exporting Energy to England ( actually Wales)

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Interestingly, we’ve not had a body count today. I had heard that the government wants to stop the daily death toll from being published. Can’t think why that is. It’s not like they are very close to being the worst performing government in the world is it.
Sorry, fake news, the date on the report was today, but the stats were for yesterday.

According to Sky News, 1,564

Last edited:

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
Aluminum coils ... obvious material the higher resistivity easily overcome by thicker gauge, and still lighter and much cheaper than copper . Just a bit more bulky, which will not matter in the application . You may not be aware but the bulk of the HV GRID is aluminum ... the structure is of a steel high tensile core with 6 segments of aluminum wrapped around and the whole lot coated with a plastic jacket ... not for insulation but for corrosion resistance. The aluminum looks like an Orange in cross section with the steel where the pips are.
Per weight Aluminium is a superior carrier than copper. (ie least resistance for weight) (as is silver) but aluminium isn't so ductile so getting into wires is more expensive..
A few cars have had gold wiring, I believe in weight and CSA that also beats copper.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Are you ready, Eddie, to turn your scully round?

Regulator refuses to approve mass Covid testing at schools in England

Exclusive: Boris Johnson’s plan to test millions of pupils a week in disarray after concerns raised

Yet another U likely needed.

Advertisers