Brexit, for once some facts.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Yes and no. We only take the green phase; not the white and orange phases.

That is, dirty tree and a turd of the potential supply.
I know it was intended as a jibe, ..but actually it is accurate. The connection is a single DC Voltage link. ..not 3 phase just a thick 500kV undersea cable The reason is simple... More power is transferred on a DC line and it removes synchronisation problems. And you can thank me personally... The line goes underground on the boundary of one of my properties, and they needed wayleave from me.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
This is a non story, in my book they should have been wiped and should never have been held in the first instance.

Arrests are on suspicion of committing an offence and it now transpires that these wiped records were of arrests that were not followed by any action, in other words no acceptable evidence of an offence.

Keeping records to infer offences for which there's no evidence is the stuff of police states and there's been far too much of this kind of thing going on since the 1980s.
That is of course if this is the truth

"it now transpires that these wiped records were of arrests that were not followed by any action, in other words no acceptable evidence of an offence."

But it sounds too good to be true

Reactions: oyster

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Boris Johnson considers post-Brexit overhaul of workers' rights to free businesses from EU rules
48-hour working week under consideration in move that would likely spark fury from unions
Sorry OG, but this is another false story.

At the time the EU introduced the Working Time Directive 35 hour maximum standard week that many countries adopted, the UK objected and negotiated a 48 hour week opt out.

Information Link

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
That is of course if this is the truth

"it now transpires that these wiped records were of arrests that were not followed by any action, in other words no acceptable evidence of an offence."

But it sounds too good to be true
I think it's very likely, given that the wipe was part of a houskeeping operation wiping irrelevancies.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
1248 people killed by Coronavirus yesterday.
48600 new infections.
case fatality rate is about 3% in the UK, we should see about 100 fewer deaths per day each week from now on. It will be much more bearable at the end of March.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
I know it was intended as a jibe, ..but actually it is accurate. The connection is a single DC Voltage link. ..not 3 phase just a thick 500kV undersea cable The reason is simple... More power is transferred on a DC line and it removes synchronisation problems. And you can thank me personally... The line goes underground on the boundary of one of my properties, and they needed wayleave from me.
Not so much a jibe as a light-hearted confection of words intended for amusement. :)

Yes - well aware that interconnects nowadays are DC.

Reactions: Danidl

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
case fatality rate is about 3% in the UK, we should see about 100 fewer deaths per day each week from now on. It will be much more bearable at the end of March.
It looks as if we have seen the Christmas related peak and maybe even the New Year peak in cases and things are going slowly in the right direction. As long as there aren't any serious new developments (eg from Brazilian strain), as Woosh suggests deaths should start falling pretty soon.

• :D
Reactions: POLLY

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Score one to you Danidl

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
This is a non story, in my book they should have been wiped and should never have been held in the first instance.

Arrests are on suspicion of committing an offence and it now transpires that these wiped records were of arrests that were not followed by any action, in other words no acceptable evidence of an offence.

Keeping records to infer offences for which there's no evidence is the stuff of police states and there's been far too much of this kind of thing going on since the 1980s.
If they should not have been held, and I am not disagreeing with you there, their deletion or wiping should have been an intentional act. Not an accident.

And I suggest it is just luck that important records were not removed.

Do they really have no backups from which they could restore the records?

The Home Office said no records of criminal or dangerous persons had been deleted.
Interesting statement. If this is true, it implies that they know not one of those 150,000 was or is a criminal or dangerous person. (The word "dangerous" seems even to imply future actions.)

• Informative
Reactions: oldgroaner

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
The other day I mentioned Tesco having ramped up their Covid-19 policies. Might have been Wales-only.

Wales to introduce new Covid protections in supermarkets
First minister says measures not being as strictly enforced as during first lockdown

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
First minister says measures not being as strictly enforced as during first lockdown
These mentions now don't make any sense, since the first lockdown didn't have the same rules. For example there was no compulsory mask wearing, that introduced only quite recently so there is little comparison.

The only rules that sometimes seemed to be strictly enforced in the first lockdown were the two metre separations in queueing etc and the clangers dropped by a minority of police forces in over-enforcing beyond the law.

Now there's far more enforcement, such as supermarkets refusing to accept entry by the unmasked, others introducing one way aisles and separated entry and exit, perspex screening in front of staff and around self service checkouts, many smaller shops only allowing one customer entry at a time.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
These mentions now don't make any sense, since the first lockdown didn't have the same rules. For example there was no compulsory mask wearing, that introduced only quite recently so there is little comparison.

The only rules that sometimes seemed to be strictly enforced in the first lockdown were the two metre separations in queueing etc and the clangers dropped by a minority of police forces in over-enforcing beyond the law.

Now there's far more enforcement, such as supermarkets refusing to accept entry by the unmasked, others introducing one way aisles and separated entry and exit, perspex screening in front of staff and around self service checkouts, many smaller shops only allowing one customer entry at a time.
In first lockdown, supermarkets cleared the extra gondola-end displays, etc., which helped with flow. There were one-way systems inside all supermarkets. And one-person-per-household was widespread.

We now see so many extra display stands it is difficult to push a trolley round.

Not one supermarket still has a real one-way system. M&S are the nearest. Until the other day, none had one-person-per-household.

Most do now have hand sanitiser. (Though some have decided added parfum is a good idea.)

Already now seeing notices up saying items can only be purchased if essential. Which can be difficult to assess! And tighter entry control. I suspect more by tomorrow.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
In first lockdown, supermarkets cleared the extra gondola-end displays, etc., which helped with flow. There were one-way systems inside all supermarkets. And one-person-per-household was widespread.
I find that difficult to believe since it's the complete reverse of the truth here, almost everything above is the opposite in the main South London and North Surrey supermarkets I've been to throughout.

In the first lockdown not one had a one way system and definitely no one person rule. The latter is now being requested but not enforced, though largely complied with.

The gondola end and extra side displays were never removed and are still present in all our supermarkets and no Sainsburys, Waitrose, Co-op., Somerfield or M & S I've seen in that huge area has ever had a one way system.

Advertisers