Brexit, for once some facts.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
If they should not have been held, and I am not disagreeing with you there, their deletion or wiping should have been an intentional act. Not an accident.

And I suggest it is just luck that important records were not removed.

Do they really have no backups from which they could restore the records?

Interesting statement. If this is true, it implies that they know not one of those 150,000 was or is a criminal or dangerous person. (The word "dangerous" seems even to imply future actions.)
The Register has its story about this:

https://www.theregister.com/2021/01/15/pnc_records_deleted/

As almost always, go on to the Comments. Not many yet.

Seems to imply they are trying to restore the data.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
FYI:

Pfizer temporarily reduces vaccine deliveries to EU

Pfizer will temporarily reduce its deliveries to Europe of its Covid vaccine while it upgrades its production capacity, the company has said.
The reduction in deliveries is reportedly due to Pfizer limiting output so that it can upgrade production capacity to 2 billion vaccine doses per year from 1.3 billion currently.
“This temporary reduction will affect all European countries,” said the the Norwegian Institute of Public Health. “It is as yet not precisely clear how long time it will take before Pfizer is up to maximum production capacity again.”
Pfizer said it had to make modifications to the process and facility that will require additional regulatory approvals, Reuters reported. “Although this will temporarily impact shipments in late January to early February, it will provide a significant increase in doses available for patients in late February and March,” it said in a statement.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2021/jan/15/coronavirus-live-news-hospitals-in-brazilian-state-at-breaking-point-amid-oxygen-shortage-global-deaths-near-2m

I assume the headline wrongly refers to EU when it should have said EU/EEA and UK? Or something like that.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
FYI:

Pfizer temporarily reduces vaccine deliveries to EU

Pfizer will temporarily reduce its deliveries to Europe of its Covid vaccine while it upgrades its production capacity, the company has said.
The reduction in deliveries is reportedly due to Pfizer limiting output so that it can upgrade production capacity to 2 billion vaccine doses per year from 1.3 billion currently.
“This temporary reduction will affect all European countries,” said the the Norwegian Institute of Public Health. “It is as yet not precisely clear how long time it will take before Pfizer is up to maximum production capacity again.”
Pfizer said it had to make modifications to the process and facility that will require additional regulatory approvals, Reuters reported. “Although this will temporarily impact shipments in late January to early February, it will provide a significant increase in doses available for patients in late February and March,” it said in a statement.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2021/jan/15/coronavirus-live-news-hospitals-in-brazilian-state-at-breaking-point-amid-oxygen-shortage-global-deaths-near-2m

I assume the headline wrongly refers to EU when it should have said EU/EEA and UK? Or something like that.
The actual report identified Europe , not the individual economic units.

• Informative
Reactions: flecc

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Our lodger works in a night shelter ... high risk of CV spreading so they were due an early jab yesterday. No jab, because the promised supplies had not turned up at the jabbers. Currently rescheduled for next Friday.

Nev

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2018
North Wales
I find that difficult to believe since it's the complete reverse of the truth here, almost everything above is the opposite in the main South London and North Surrey supermarkets I've been to throughout.
I probably went to about 4 different super markets during the first lockdown and they were all like Oyster described them. I don't know if perhaps somewhere like Cardiff the situation would be similar to you flecc, but in the smaller towns and cities in Wales I think Oyster is correct with what he said.

I tend to do my shopping fairly early in the morning, so the stores are not very busy. In fact there tends to be more staff filling up the boxes for click and collect or home delivery than there is customers, but I never ever see a customer in a super market without a mask on. It might be different in little corner shops but I don't tend to go to them anyway.

• Informative
  • Agree
Reactions: flecc and oyster

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
A while ago, we were regaled with allegations that voting Democrat was something you'd only do if you wanted to support the billionaires.

Looks like voting Republican, or denying Biden's win, doesn't actually mean you are not supporting billionaires.

Billionaires backed Republicans who sought to reverse US election results
Guardian analysis shows Club for Growth has spent $20m supporting 42 rightwing lawmakers who voted to invalidate Biden victory

• :D
Reactions: POLLY

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I probably went to about 4 different super markets during the first lockdown and they were all like Oyster described them. I don't know if perhaps somewhere like Cardiff the situation would be similar to you flecc, but in the smaller towns and cities in Wales I think Oyster is correct with what he said.
There certainly seems to be some very big differences between this vast urban/suburban area and elsewhere much further away. It's on record in this thread that I posted a number of times about the widespread non compliance here and usually got responses from outlying parts about how compliant they were. It appeared the smaller they were, the more they stuck to the rules.

But here much has reversed and individual compliance is much higher now in this latest lockdown.

But I still find it strange that national supermarket chains would permit such huge variance in their branches with almost none of what Oyster indicated during the first lockdown present here then and some still not present.

That's why I'm puzzled by those politicians complaining about worse compliance now than first time round when that is so patently untrue here. Perhaps that is linked to the long period when parliament wasn't sitting due to Covid, so they were at their constituencies rather then seeing things at first hand here.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
There certainly seems to be some very big differences between this vast urban/suburban area and elsewhere much further away. It's on record in this thread that I posted a number of times about the widespread non compliance here and usually got responses from outlying parts about how compliant they were. It appeared the smaller they were, the more they stuck to the rules.

But here much has reversed and individual compliance is much higher now in this latest lockdown.

But I still find it strange that national supermarket chains would permit such huge variance in their branches with almost none of what Oyster indicated during the first lockdown present here then and some still not present.

That's why I'm puzzled by those politicians complaining about worse compliance now than first time round when that is so patently untrue here. Perhaps that is linked to the long period when parliament wasn't sitting due to Covid, so they were at their constituencies rather then seeing things at first hand here.
Wales has moved to tighten things:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Covid tongue:

View attachment 40221

More people are presenting with ‘Covid tongues’ and ‘strange mouth ulcers’ after coming down with coronavirus, according to the professor leading the UK’s Covid Symptom Study app.

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/covid-tongue-explained_uk_60016507c5b62c0057bc0be2?mc_cid=468d3a8f81&mc_eid=c4805da48f
I've had that whitish scaled tongue many times in my adult life so I wouldn't link it with Covid. More likely to be a minor internal upset, though the last time I remember it was when I had a severe allergic reaction to clarithromycin in early Autumn 2019.

• Informative
Reactions: oldgroaner

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
The Register has its story about this:

https://www.theregister.com/2021/01/15/pnc_records_deleted/

As almost always, go on to the Comments. Not many yet.

Seems to imply they are trying to restore the data.
I rather liked this
"The government has insisted that despite losing access to a key European database after Brexit, Britain has adequate criminal information. About 40,000 alerts relating to European criminals were deleted from the PNC after Britain’s deal with the EU. "
"Forensic systems are also linked to the PNC and hence information to do with DNA and fingerprints was also earmarked for deletion mistakenly. "
"But the Times said “crucial intelligence about suspects” had vanished because of the blunder, and that Britain’s visa system had been thrown into disarray, with the processing of applications suspended for two days. "
And now we are down another 150,000? perhaps we may as well
To top it all Earlier in the year the Police National Computer went down because (wait for it) someone unplugged it.
delete them all and start again?
:D

• Agree
Reactions: flecc and oyster

Advertisers