Brexit, for once some facts.

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
Yes, I noticed that.

You may also have noticed that both entry doors to the briefing room are opened when she delivers a Downing Street briefing. This is so that she can get her fat arse through the door.

She also has a wider lectern than the other presenters. This is to hide her fat arse from public view.
They shouldn't...

• :D
Reactions: oldgroaner

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
New Covid variants may pose problems for vaccines

quote:

The study was posted on the website for KRISP, the Kwazulu-Natal Research Innnovation and Sequencing Platform. The other two studies were posted on a pre-print server.

In the study that had similar findings, blood was drawn from 44 people in South Africa who'd had Covid-19. Nearly all of their cases were confirmed to have occurred prior to September, which is before the variant was spotted in South Africa.

The researchers then looked to see whether their antibodies would fight off the new variant.

For about half of the 44 people, their antibodies were powerless against the new variant. For the other half, the antibody response was weakened, but not totally knocked out.

In the third study, done at Rockefeller University, researchers looked at blood from 20 people who had received either the Moderna or the Pfizer vaccine. Different mutations in the viruses did allow some escape from some types of antibodies, but the volunteers' immune systems threw an army of different types of antibodies at the viruses.

Emerging evidence suggests new coronavirus variant could be problematic for vaccines - CNN

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Yes, I noticed that.

You may also have noticed that both entry doors to the briefing room are opened when she delivers a Downing Street briefing. This is so that she can get her fat arse through the door.

She also has a wider lectern than the other presenters. This is to hide her fat arse from public view.
You're not the messiah,
You're a very naughty boy!
:D :D :D :D

Jesus H Christ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 31, 2020
New Covid variants may pose problems for vaccines

quote:

The study was posted on the website for KRISP, the Kwazulu-Natal Research Innnovation and Sequencing Platform. The other two studies were posted on a pre-print server.

In the study that had similar findings, blood was drawn from 44 people in South Africa who'd had Covid-19. Nearly all of their cases were confirmed to have occurred prior to September, which is before the variant was spotted in South Africa.

The researchers then looked to see whether their antibodies would fight off the new variant.

For about half of the 44 people, their antibodies were powerless against the new variant. For the other half, the antibody response was weakened, but not totally knocked out.

In the third study, done at Rockefeller University, researchers looked at blood from 20 people who had received either the Moderna or the Pfizer vaccine. Different mutations in the viruses did allow some escape from some types of antibodies, but the volunteers' immune systems threw an army of different types of antibodies at the viruses.

Emerging evidence suggests new coronavirus variant could be problematic for vaccines - CNN
This is worrying because in this country a vaccine seems to be the only strategy in town. The government has failed in spectacular fashion with everything else they have done.

If Covid becomes vaccine resistant, that’s our paddle gone, and Johnson & Co have taken us a very long way up a certain creek. Much further than most other countries.

• Agree
Reactions: POLLY and flecc

Jesus H Christ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 31, 2020
I’m not sure the government’s proposal to give a £500 prize to anyone catching Coronavirus is a good idea.

This outfit will be totally inept at preventing fraud and you just know that with the mentality of our population, some people will deliberately get infected so they can claim their winnings.

Like everything else they do, I have a bad feeling about this latest balls up in the making.

Jesus H Christ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 31, 2020
In a week when over 3000 people have died in a 48 hour period, and many of those deaths being as a direct consequence of government incompetence, The Daily Express use their front page to try and make us angry about the BBC.

I don’t think there is a finer example to sum this country up at the moment.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Like everything else they do, I have a bad feeling about this latest balls up in the making.
like the covid loans to businesses.
Our government got scammed for tens of billions.

Jesus H Christ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 31, 2020
I’ve just listened to a very credible sounding man on BBC Breakfast. I only caught half of the article, but I think he is something to do with an organisation which represents care homes.

This chap was saying they are seeing a large number of elderly people who had their first vaccination in December catching Coronavirus and some of them deteriorating and dying. This is absolutely 100% contrary to what the government, Chris Whitty and JVT said would happen.

This needs looking at urgently. It’s not too late to reverse the 12 week strategy. Those who’ve had jab 1 can be prioritised for jab 2 and get it within 3 weeks if we act now. If we leave this, then it will be too late.

This has got to be the government’s number one priority now. If they don’t get this right the 5 million vaccinations administered so far will have been a total waste of time & resource. It will effectively take us from a position as one of the best performers in terms of vaccination, to the worst, in an instant.

Last edited:

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Morning tweet
Gerald Bell@GOldcodger

Replying to
@SkyNews
Everyone who tests positive for coronavirus could soon receive a one-off payment of £500, in a government move to persuade more people to get a test and self-isolate after a positive result

Spaffing season opened early this year :cool:

• Agree
Reactions: flecc and Woosh

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
This chap was saying they are seeing a large number of elderly people who had their first vaccination in December catching Coronavirus and some of them deteriorating and dying. This is absolutely 100% contrary to what the government, Chris Whitty and JVT said would happen.
He made the point that some care home residents are unlucky enough to belong to the group where the vaccine doesn't work.
That group is worryingly large after only 1 jab, as much as 75%.
Can you put a value to the first vaccine jab for a care home resident? then treble it for the second jab because the protection afforded by the second jab is 2-3 times the first jab.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
I’ve just listened to a very credible sounding man on BBC Breakfast. I only caught half of the article, but I think he is something to do with an organisation which represents care homes.

This needs looking at urgently. It’s not too late to reverse the 12 week strategy. Those who’ve had jab 1 can be prioritised for jab 2 and get it within 3 weeks if we act now. If we leave this, then it will be too late.

This has got to be the government’s number one priority now. If they don’t get this right the 5 million vaccinations administered so far will have been a total waste of time & resource. It will effectively take us from a position as one of the best performers in terms of vaccination, to the worst, in an instant.
I have taken some flak over this, haven't I?
This is what motivated me, not personal greed, fear of unqualified risks.
Remember, there are old and there are bold engineers, but there aren't many old and bold ones
There are good reasons for that
Well done my friend I agree with you on this 100%
(But that still doesn't make you the Messiah!) :D

• Agree
Reactions: Jesus H Christ

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
ONS survey asks the question, "Can your household afford to pay an unexpected, but necessary, expense of £850?"
It's towards the end of the Covid section. That question comes straight out of the blue and isn't in any way related to the others.

Is anybody else taking part in the survey?

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
ONS survey asks the question, "Can your household afford to pay an unexpected, but necessary, expense of £850?"
It's towards the end of the Covid section. That question comes straight out of the blue and isn't in any way related to the others.

No but it is in here
https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/wellbeing/bulletins/personalandeconomicwellbeingintheuk/june2020
"By contrast, there was some improvement in finances for high-income individuals. For those with total annual income of £40,000 or higher, only 3.2% could not afford a one-off expense of £850 in the four days to 17 May, compared with 13.4% in the 11 days to 20 April. This is reflected in anxiety ratings for this income group - they were 14% lower on average between 3 April and 10 May, compared with those with an income up to £10,000. "

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland

..what you you think those of us with older and wiser heads have been saying?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
This is worrying because in this country a vaccine seems to be the only strategy in town. The government has failed in spectacular fashion with everything else they have done.

If Covid becomes vaccine resistant, that’s our paddle gone, and Johnson & Co have taken us a very long way up a certain creek. Much further than most other countries.
Like I've been preferring, having made a bad start like Sweden we probably should have stuck to it and toughed it out.

Then we wouldn't be up the present creek now.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales

Isn't that around the cost of the very cheapest direct to crem funeral?

Where is this ONS survey?

• Agree
Reactions: flecc and Woosh

Jesus H Christ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 31, 2020
He made the point that some care home residents are unlucky enough to belong to the group where the vaccine doesn't work.
That group is worryingly large after only 1 jab, as much as 75%.
Can you put a value to the first vaccine jab for a care home resident? then treble it for the second jab because the protection afforded by the second jab is 2-3 times the first jab.
I’ve always been approaching this from the point of view that one vaccination gives high 90% protection from hospitalisation and death, not actually getting Covid.

I’m not bothered if people get coronavirus as long as they don’t die or go into hospital. This is also the basis of the government’s vaccination strategy. However, doubts regarding the protection from death and hospitalisation afforded by one vaccination are now starting to appear, Israel and care homes.

The default position should now shift to caution, ie give two vaccinations 21 days apart whilst the strategy of one vaccination is investigated further. It’s madness to plough on past these red traffic lights that have suddenly popped up.

Advertisers