Brexit, for once some facts.

Jesus H Christ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 31, 2020
It's what you do zlatan. Innuendo (suggesting jhc was responsible for my apologising to susan), disowning responsibility for the jibes, suggestions. Others on the thread are evidently as aware as I am of it.
Don‘t drag me into it, I have a reputation to maintain and don’t want to be linked to controversy or inappropriate comment.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Anyone understand why Pfizer/BioNTech chose a vial that meant there was difficulty getting extra doses in the first place?

It is obvious they might not want extra doses to be extracted. But why a design that requires six/seven doses of vaccine to be put in the vial?

And if there is a good technical reason for that, why has it taken so long to dream up a special syringe?

(Yes - I know they are supposedly charging by the dose, and have at least implied they will charge for six/seven doses if that is what is deliver from a vial.)

Japan's Terumo says makes syringe to draw 7 doses from Pfizer vaccine vials

Japan’s Terumo Corp said on Tuesday it has developed a new syringe that can get seven doses out of each vial of Covid vaccine made by Pfizer Inc , at least one more than accessible with existing syringes, Reuters reports.

The health ministry approved the design on Friday, and Terumo will begin production at the end of March, a Terumo spokesman told Reuters. The Kyodo News agency, which first reported the development, said Terumo is aiming to make 20 million units this year.

The vaccine made by Pfizer and its German partner BioNTech, is shipped in vials initially indicated to hold five doses. Six doses can be drawn with special syringes, call low dead space, which minimise the amount of vaccine left in the syringe after use.

Japan began its Covid inoculation campaign last month, using Pfizer’s vaccine. Taro Kono, the minister in charge of the effort, said on Friday that some shots may go to waste amid a shortage of the specialty syringes.

• Informative
Reactions: Nev and oldgroaner

Jesus H Christ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 31, 2020
I guess this is the inevitable consequence of marrying trailer trash. Background and pedigree is so important. Prince Ginger dropped a bollick here.

• :D
Reactions: oldgroaner

Jesus H Christ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 31, 2020
Anyone understand why Pfizer/BioNTech chose a vial that meant there was difficulty getting extra doses in the first place?

It is obvious they might not want extra doses to be extracted. But why a design that requires six/seven doses of vaccine to be put in the vial?

And if there is a good technical reason for that, why has it taken so long to dream up a special syringe?

(Yes - I know they are supposedly charging by the dose, and have at least implied they will charge for six/seven doses if that is what is deliver from a vial.)

Japan's Terumo says makes syringe to draw 7 doses from Pfizer vaccine vials

Japan’s Terumo Corp said on Tuesday it has developed a new syringe that can get seven doses out of each vial of Covid vaccine made by Pfizer Inc , at least one more than accessible with existing syringes, Reuters reports.

The health ministry approved the design on Friday, and Terumo will begin production at the end of March, a Terumo spokesman told Reuters. The Kyodo News agency, which first reported the development, said Terumo is aiming to make 20 million units this year.

The vaccine made by Pfizer and its German partner BioNTech, is shipped in vials initially indicated to hold five doses. Six doses can be drawn with special syringes, call low dead space, which minimise the amount of vaccine left in the syringe after use.

Japan began its Covid inoculation campaign last month, using Pfizer’s vaccine. Taro Kono, the minister in charge of the effort, said on Friday that some shots may go to waste amid a shortage of the specialty syringes.
There’s nothing like wringing and kicking the arse out of the profit margins during a global pandemic. Why can’t PB follow the Oxford-AZ model and supply this vaccine at close to production cost? PB are disgusting.

• Agree
Reactions: oldgroaner

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
I guess this is the inevitable consequence of marrying trailer trash. Background and pedigree is so important. Prince Ginger dropped a bollick here.

View attachment 41188
The current debate over the rights or wrongs of this case are of no interest to me, only that it comes in handy as a smokescreen for the Brexit and Covid disasters.
No wonder the blond Wurzel Gummidge look alike doesn't want to get involved!

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
I never said anything about JHC apologising for you to Susan??? Where is that from?

I said "an apology from JA to Susan" ??? Go back and look... (It was good of you)
But WTF you talking about?

And I don't disown any insults. The last one was suggesting there was more than one echo on here. Only thing I have implied is that was a general comment aimed at us all and no one specific. Folk, including me, are always repeating themselves. What is problem with that?
Trouble is JA, you have an axe to grind for some reason.
Innuendo, Boris Fan, posturing, needing Google to look up innuendo? And that's in last 3 posts. What's the problem?
I think you are an old poster with a new ID and confusing me with somebody else.???
Or, you have a fertile imagination.
Or, you are OG winding me up...
And telling me "it's what you do" you should read your own posts. You ain't perfect my friend. Glass houses and all that.
Old Tom perhaps...??? Integrity???
"Old Tom perhaps...??? Integrity??? "
No one else has ever done INTEGRITY the way he did it, how you must miss his affectionate

Responses.:D
Such eloquence, an example to us all.

Jesus H Christ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 31, 2020
The current debate over the rights or wrongs of this case are of no interest to me, only that it comes in handy as a smokescreen for the Brexit and Covid disasters.
No wonder the blond Wurzel Gummidge look alike doesn't want to get involved!
That‘s the main issue, this Harry Hewitt / Princess Netflix garbage is distracting attention from topics over which the media should be holding people to account.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
This article by Simon Jenkins about Brexit and Northern Ireland sums up my (very limited) understanding of the current situation what do forum members think is eventually going to be the out come?
Boris Johnson's Brexit shenanigans have met their reckoning in Northern Ireland | Northern Ireland | The Guardian
Excellent article. The only outcome I can see is yet more trouble and strife with the EU due to Boris continuing to pretend to do something but leaving a leaky border.

A better solution is for the UK to swallow pride and rejoin the customs union. After all, the referendum was far from being decisive and with so close to a 50/50 outcome the action taken should have been a compromise, not the all out departure the far right wanted.

• Agree
Reactions: Nev and oldgroaner

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
it's time that the Royal Firm should distance itself from the tabloids.
Indeed, the silliest thing they could do now is respond.

It's a pity that Harry and Meghan were allowed to keep any royal title, they should have just become Mr and Mrs Windsor and not able to do the extent of damage they are doing now.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
It's a pity that Harry and Meghan were allowed to keep any royal title, they should have just become Mr and Mrs Windsor and not able to do the extent of damage they are doing now.
I reckon this story will run for a while yet.
Imagine you disinherit one of your children. What would you expect how they'd react?

Reactions: Jesus H Christ

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
There’s nothing like wringing and kicking the arse out of the profit margins during a global pandemic. Why can’t PB follow the Oxford-AZ model and supply this vaccine at close to production cost? PB are disgusting.
There is a massive difference between the AZ and the Pfizer technologies. The investment in the Pfizer approach is much more complex. .. Compare 2 stroke Bike engines with a jet aircraft.
I tried teasing out the differences in the production with my daughter, and the closest analogy is that ...
Getting the brew right, is half the battle ( the Oxford lab part ), ..but the production of the AZ vaccine is like brewing beer,.. growing the stuff in vats and filtering out the crud., So the production technology is long established and very scalable.
Whereas the mRNA is building up molecules from other smaller molecules ..almost like the steps in lithography of building ICs, but with more steps. A variation on the PCR molecular amplification technique. There are multiple potential bottlenecks in getting reagent quality ingredients and building them up in different machines as the subassemblies.
One of the steps did take 11 months initially , but by process refinement is now 6 months and further improvements expected.
Incidentally AZ has made billions by cross share dealings on these vaccines. While the Oxford might be a charity, AZ is not.

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I reckon this story will run for a while yet.
Imagine you disinherit one of your children. What would you expect how they'd react?
He disinherited himself of choice. Nothing wrong with that, I hate the institution of royalty myself, but he should accept the consequences. He's being dishonest, royalty is a package, accept all of it or none of it, he's trying to play a middle game and making a living out of it.

The story will persist to some extent, but the best way to limit the damage is to report the story in that way, truthfully, showing his foolishness and dishonesty. He'll learn to shut up then.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Excellent article. The only outcome I can see is yet more trouble and strife with the EU due to Boris continuing to pretend to do something but leaving a leaky border.

A better solution is for the UK to swallow pride and rejoin the customs union. After all, the referendum was far from being decisive and with so close to a 50/50 outcome the action taken should have been a compromise, not the all out departure the far right wanted.
That Guardian article is more about the personality of Johnson than the difficulties of NI , so I will not be commenting.

• Agree
Reactions: Zlatan and flecc

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
He disinherited himself of choice. Nothing wrong with that, I hate the institution of royalty myself, but he should accept the consequences. He's being dishonest, royalty is a package, accept all of it or none of it, he's trying to play a middle game and making a living out of it.

The story will persist to some extent, but the best way to limit the damage is to report the story in that way, truthfully, showing his foolishness and dishonesty. He'll learn to shut up then.
The Firm is worth billions. His dad is or will be a multi-billionaire. Officially, Charles earns £20 millions a year from the Duchy of Corwall but I reckon he has a larger income than that.
Through accident of birth, Harry can only expect to inherit a tiny proportion of that fortune. The rest will go to his brother.
Should you expect the same level of commitment to the Firm from both kids?
Now the Firm even cut off his stipends.
To me, that's just too vengeful.

Advertisers