Brexit, for once some facts.

Jesus H Christ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 31, 2020
Indeed, the silliest thing they could do now is respond.

It's a pity that Harry and Meghan were allowed to keep any royal title, they should have just become Mr and Mrs Windsor and not able to do the extent of damage they are doing now.
My thoughts exactly. The content of the interview was full of vague accusations and suspected untruths. I don’t think The Palace should give any credibility to the pair of them by responding. They should remain silent and continue as though nothing has happened, which is precisely the case.

• Agree
Reactions: Danidl and flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Now the Firm even cut off his stipends.
To me, that's just too vengeful.
I see that more as stupid than vengeful.

The whole issue should have been handled in a businesslike manner with money at the core:

You want to go, fine. If you leave you lose all connections to royalty and become a commoner. You get a generous and substantial annual stipend for life so long as you maintain discretion about your time as a royal. In keeping with this age of women's equality, your wife also independently benefits in a similar way, subject to the same condition.

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
The Firm is worth billions. His dad is or will be a multi-billionaire. Officially, Charles earns £20 millions a year from the Duchy of Corwall but I reckon he has a larger income than that.
Through accident of birth, Harry can only expect to inherit a tiny proportion of that fortune. The rest will go to his brother.
Should you expect the same level of commitment to the Firm from both kids?
Do you think they need it? He has 20 million from Diana, signed a Spotify deal for 52 million (dollars) last December, a 152 million deal with Netflix???
It makes me laugh about her playing racist card. For a start she, s not black or even brown and is amongst most privileged a rich people on earth and bordering on talentless.
Most racist issue? Somebody asked how dark they thought kid might be... Is that so bad?
Black folk have and do still face prejudice. There is institutionalised racism in many institutions and places of work but this isn't one of them. Does the real cause a massive disservice in long run. Move on, nothing to see here.

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
Excellent article. The only outcome I can see is yet more trouble and strife with the EU due to Boris continuing to pretend to do something but leaving a leaky border.

A better solution is for the UK to swallow pride and rejoin the customs union. After all, the referendum was far from being decisive and with so close to a 50/50 outcome the action taken should have been a compromise, not the all out departure the far right wanted.
Sorry flecc but excellent article and Guardian are mutually exclusive. Paper and article is full of bias and prejudice. We call out Mail, Express etc for it but Guardian is no better, just different politics.
If we all bought into Guardian narrative and politics we, d have Starmer in no10. I, ve stopped reading Mail, Express and Guardian. Just all so predictable. You know before you start article who is villain, they all wear blue ties in Guardian and red ones in mail. Bonkers, the lot of them.
Time to scrap party politics and allegiances. System seems incapable of doing so, or perhaps we are.

Last edited:

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Do you think they need it? He has 20 million from Diana, signed a Spotify deal for 52 million (dollars) last December, a 152 million deal with Netflix???
It makes me laugh about her playing racist card. For a start she, s not black or even brown and is amongst most privileged a rich people on earth and bordering on talentless.
Most racist issue? Somebody asked how dark they thought kid might be... Is that so bad?
Black folk have and do still face prejudice. There is institutionalised racism in many institutions and places of work but this isn't one of them. Does the real cause a massive disservice in long run. Move on, nothing to see here.
Had the Palace been racist , there would not have been a wedding. What family does not have minor personality clashes with the in laws?.. Now I didn't watch the interview, but know enough about suicide that unless one actually seriously does the deed, as in seeking oblivion, it is nothing .. .

• Agree
Reactions: Zlatan and flecc

Jesus H Christ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 31, 2020
My main concern would have been if she was going to squeeze out another Ginger. I can see questions being asked about that awful prospect, but not regarding the child’s potential skin tone. To be honest, I’ve not really noticed she is black. There only seems to be her making a “thing” about it.

I would prescribe a good, solid & well landed punch in the face for the pair of them. That would refocus their attention away from nonsense.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Sorry flecc but excellent article and Guardian are mutually exclusive.
Not so, I saw that article as excellent and wasn't in any way commenting on the rest of the Guardian's output. I would have commented identically if the article was in the Mail, the Telegraph or by some miracle in the Express.

In attacking it being in the Guardian you are guilty of shooting the messenger.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
My main concern would have been if she was going to squeeze out another Ginger. I can see questions being asked about that awful prospect, but not regarding the child’s potential skin tone. To be honest, I’ve not really noticed she is black. There only seems to be her making a “thing” about it.

I would prescribe a good, solid & well landed punch in the face for the pair of them. That would refocus their attention away from nonsense.
Is that a medical science, "Fistology?"

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
My thoughts exactly. The content of the interview was full of vague accusations and suspected untruths. I don’t think The Palace should give any credibility to the pair of them by responding. They should remain silent and continue as though nothing has happened, which is precisely the case.
As a Republican, .(. not militant, but a believer in the equality of a Republic) , I have no truck with Royalty, ..but that's your bag. If his Brother is potentially King, and currently a Prince, then he is also a Prince and a Duke. So no taking that away.... I actually consider the loss of citizenship by Ms Begum more serious, but let him keep his title.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
The Firm is worth billions. His dad is or will be a multi-billionaire. Officially, Charles earns £20 millions a year from the Duchy of Corwall but I reckon he has a larger income than that.
Through accident of birth, Harry can only expect to inherit a tiny proportion of that fortune. The rest will go to his brother.
Should you expect the same level of commitment to the Firm from both kids?
In earlier times it wouldn't have been his "stipends" they cut off!
But rather the smallest part of his anatomy
(which would also have solved the problem of what the firm regards as unsuitable marriages!) :D

• :D
Reactions: Woosh

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
If his Brother is potentially King, and currently a Prince, then he is also a Prince and a Duke. So no taking that away.... but let him keep his title.
And be a source of trouble for the rest of his life?

We had enough of that thanks, with Edward VIII and Wallis Simpson, never out of the news for many decades.

Stuff convention, take the title away, swapping it for cash. Regardless of precedents, he cannot realistically be the Duke of Sussex living in California.

Reactions: Zlatan

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
Not so, I saw that article as excellent and wasn't in any way commenting on the rest of the Guardian's output. I would have commented identically if the article was in the Mail, the Telegraph or by some miracle in the Express.

In attacking it being in the Guardian you are guilty of shooting the messenger.
No, I, m not criticising you flecc. Know full well your efforts to be balanced.
The article does (IMHO) play into narrative of Johnson being untrustworthy and performing shenanigans rather than offering detail (news?) about the actual deal/relationship.
Its rather like in the Mail, where they tell us how bad Merkel is for half the article then tell us a little bit about what the article is supposed to be about. As Danidl pointed out, article is about Johnson with a little mention of recent events. To my mind that's an excellent article at criticising Johnson but not at informing about the situation. To some that might make it excellent.??

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
And be a source of trouble for the rest of his life?
the British monarchy may be finished in his lifetime.
Harry said last night that the Family is afraid of the tabloids.
If you take away the tabloids support for the monarchy, all that is left is their very considerable fortune.

Last edited:

snafu

Pedelecer
Dec 15, 2020
Hall End, North |Warks
It's worth also remembering that we pay for the Royal presence. So why should they keep the trappings of Royalty having made it clear they wanted out.

I have no feelings either way as far as the Monarchy is concerned, but I do find Harry and Megans's actions somewhat baffling. He talks about time needed to heal the rift between himself his dad and brother and then goes on Oprah?? WTF!!

It wasn't an interview it was a carefully orchestrated chance for them to play to the media. It would have been a somewhat different affair if Piers Morgan for example had been the interviewer.

They can't expect to be "a little bit Royal" anymore than you can be "a little bit pregnant". It seemed obvious to me who rules the relationship and it isn't Harry. Their "New direction" feeds on media reaction. This was nothing more than Megan practicing her acting skills in my opinion and ultimately it's Harry who will live to regret it. YMMV.

I have no doubt that the mental stress she faced is real as is the tabloid reporting standards and I'm sorry for that, but all the warning signs were there before she entered the fold and playing the race card was more calculating than anything else.

Just my opinion.

TTFN
John.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
To my mind that's an excellent article at criticising Johnson but not at informing about the situation. To some that might make it excellent.??
It's a difficult situation, I saw it more as criticising Johnsons actions, Danidl read it as criticising Johnson.

How does one criticise someone's actions without it being a criticism of them?

Difficult at the best of times, and with someone widely known to be as mendacious and duplicitous as Johnson, probably impossible.

Advertisers