Brexit, for once some facts.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
I see the figures are out for January:

• Exports of goods, excluding non-monetary gold and other precious metals, fell by £5.3 billion (19.3%) in January 2021, because of a £5.6 billion (40.7%) fall in exports to the EU.
  • Imports of goods, excluding non-monetary gold and other precious metals, fell by £8.9 billion (21.6%) in January 2021, driven by a £6.6 billion (28.8%) fall in imports from the EU.
  • Falling imports of goods, excluding non-monetary gold and other precious metals, were largely seen in machinery and transport equipment, and chemicals from the EU in January 2021, particularly in imports of cars and medicinal and pharmaceutical products.
  • In both current price and chained volume measures, the January 2021 monthly fall in goods imports and exports are the largest monthly falls since records began in January 1997.
https://www.ons.gov.uk/economy/nationalaccounts/balanceofpayments/bulletins/uktrade/january2021

Why did records only start in 1997? I've always thought of this sort of record becoming more and more prevalent from around the end of WW2.

• Informative
Reactions: Nev and flecc

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
You’ve really lost it now dude :D You need to take your head to be looked at. Someone needs to cast an eye over OG’s head too, so perhaps if you take his with you when you have yours looked at, you might get a discount for two. Got to be worth a try?

The British monarchy is magnificent, the Queen is magnificent. Both are admired and viewed with a tinge of envy by those nations unfortunate enough not to have one. God save the Queen. Only a few sad, irritable underachievers with empty lives think otherwise.

The British monarchy is a bit like a theme park these days. It’s past is irrelevant, it’s present is a tourist attraction, a bit of escapism from reality and the occasional bit of colour in our lives.

Now stop being a dick-head with all this slavery crap. That chapter was over more than 170 years ago. Everyone involved is dead. Find something more recent to blame for your own personal failures.
The British fascination with your Monarchy is absurd, ...but hey we all have hangups , and if that is your bag.. enjoy it. Elizabeth is a fine woman, can handle herself with aplomb.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
We tend to neglect specious use of words.
sprog: a young salmon or trout.
I don't buy into the racism claim concerning a senior member of the family but that claim should be seen from a different angle.
Why would someone calls Archie a sprog? Would that person call George, Louis and Charlotte sprogs too in the same sentence?
On the theme of carrying around something you are unaware of

O wad some Pow'r the giftie gie us
To see oursels as ithers see us!
It wad frae mony a blunder free us,
An' foolish notion:
What airs in dress an' gait wad lea'e us,
An' ev'n devotion!

• Agree
Reactions: Woosh

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
I see the figures are out for January:

• Exports of goods, excluding non-monetary gold and other precious metals, fell by £5.3 billion (19.3%) in January 2021, because of a £5.6 billion (40.7%) fall in exports to the EU.
  • Imports of goods, excluding non-monetary gold and other precious metals, fell by £8.9 billion (21.6%) in January 2021, driven by a £6.6 billion (28.8%) fall in imports from the EU.
  • Falling imports of goods, excluding non-monetary gold and other precious metals, were largely seen in machinery and transport equipment, and chemicals from the EU in January 2021, particularly in imports of cars and medicinal and pharmaceutical products.
  • In both current price and chained volume measures, the January 2021 monthly fall in goods imports and exports are the largest monthly falls since records began in January 1997.
https://www.ons.gov.uk/economy/nationalaccounts/balanceofpayments/bulletins/uktrade/january2021

Why did records only start in 1997? I've always thought of this sort of record becoming more and more prevalent from around the end of WW2.
Perhaps the Home Secretary lost 'em? :rolleyes:

• :D
Reactions: oyster

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
The British fascination with your Monarchy is absurd, ...but hey we all have hangups , and if that is your bag.. enjoy it. Elizabeth is a fine woman, can handle herself with aplomb.
I'm every bit as capable of aplomb, especially now someone has taken his ball home, and only one end of the pantomime horse to play with :cool:

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
I don't buy into the racism claim concerning a senior member of the family but that claim should be seen from a different angle.
Why would someone calls Archie a sprog? Would that person call George, Louis and Charlotte sprogs too in the same sentence?
Yes, why not?
Few assumptions being made here. Even if not, so what. A throw away casual question or comment and it's OK to say they are racist with absolutely no knowledge of what that person really believes. You can't judge people like that. Well you shouldn't.
Most grand parents have called their offspring sprogs and much worse. It's just the way of world now. If you use this word you are a racist, tory, wife beater, etc etc. It's ridiculous. People aren't on attention all their lives. We make daft comments, all of us. So what. Stop judging people Woosh. Nobody is perfect.
We do have racists, and I, ll bet my last £5 they are clever enough to know what language to use and what not to.
We, ve reached point where none of us, no matter of our real beliefs, can speak openly without fear of being labelled,and often by folk who haven't a clue what they are talking about.
If that family is remotely racist how come he even met, spoke with let alone eventually married Markel?
What I do find strange is Harry's uncle associated with convicted criminals, probably committed crimes himself and he brought less examination on Family than Markel has?Now I wonder why?
Perhaps we should have had rather more support for those girls involved rather than Harry and Markel.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: flecc

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
A throw away casual question or comment and it's OK to say they are racist with absolutely no knowledge of what that person really believes. You can't judge people like that. Well you shouldn't.
well, the person who said it [in Markle's case] could/still can accept that it was offensive, apologize and make up for it or reversely, maintain the remark and accept the racist label.

Last edited:
Reactions: oldgroaner

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
well, the person who said it could/still can accept that it was offensive, apologize and make up for it or reversely, maintain the remark and accept the racist label.
Reminds me of a friend's son, we were sat in the living room and heard the distinct crash of what turned out to be a glass pane in the greenhouse.
My friend called him in and asked what happened? and his son responded with two connected responses. the first was
"It wasn't me Dad!"
We both gave him that look over the top of our glasses.
You could just about hear the gears in his brain revolving
Out came the second response.
"But I won't do it again!"
When he saw we were laughing, he joined in
Great kid! :D

• :D
Reactions: flecc and Woosh

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
You surprise me, sprog is very common and affectionate way to refer to a child, especially a boy. Not at all an insult and little different from kid or the now less used nipper.

Reactions: sjpt

flecc

Oct 25, 2006

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
You surprise me, sprog is very common and affectionate way to refer to a child, especially a boy. Not at all an insult and little different from kid or the now less used nipper.
yes, I am aware of the sense of the word. I re-used it from Zlatan's post to represent the context of Meghan's claim. Dark is also just a word, no more offensive than sprog so nothing to see here but in the light of the claim, would the person be brave enough to accept that his/her comment was hurtful for the parents and do the right thing about it?

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Yes, why not?
Few assumptions being made here. Even if not, so what. A throw away casual question or comment and it's OK to say they are racist with absolutely no knowledge of what that person really believes. You can't judge people like that. Well you shouldn't.
Most grand parents have called their offspring sprogs and much worse. It's just the way of world now. If you use this word you are a racist, tory, wife beater, etc etc. It's ridiculous. People aren't on attention all their lives. We make daft comments, all of us. So what. Stop judging people Woosh. Nobody is perfect.
We do have racists, and I, ll bet my last £5 they are clever enough to know what language to use and what not to.
We, ve reached point where none of us, no matter of our real beliefs, can speak openly without fear of being labelled,and often by folk who haven't a clue what they are talking about.
If that family is remotely racist how come he even met, spoke with let alone eventually married Markel?
What I do find strange is Harry's uncle associated with convicted criminals, probably committed crimes himself and he brought less examination on Family than Markel has?Now I wonder why?
Perhaps we should have had rather more support for those girls involved rather than Harry and Markel.
"If that family is remotely racist how come he even met, spoke with let alone eventually married Markel"... Agreed. To the Windsors of this world, it is simple .. you are U or not U , and the family is U. They and their ilk have been U since 1066, , and they suborned a few of the Saxons of Angeland to give themselves credibility...and slaughtered a lot more.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
yes, I am aware of the sense of the word. I re-used it from Zlatan's post to represent the context of Meghan's claim. Dark is also just a word, no more offensive than sprog so nothing to see here but in the light of the claim, would the person be brave enough to accept that his/her comment was hurtful for the parents and do the right thing about it?
Not knowing anything about the circumstances I can't comment, but this is the key to the whole matter and why ignoring it is important. Let me give you this example:

Like an oft polled circa 50% of the British public I couldn't care less about royalty and ignore them, but one day found myself in a news based program hearing Harry giving an interview to a media reporter. He gave me a very negative impression of whining at length and unnecessarily, but regardless of that, in giving that interview many like me who would normally know nothing about the issue were informed, so potentially doubling the spread of the story to the 50% who couldn't care less.

That is an incredibly stupid thing to do, made even worse by Harry having had all the right education about the importance of being detached throughout his early life.

Much as I dislike the man, Charles has got this right, not commenting and refusing to speak to Harry about the issue. What can the media report about that, "Charles refused to speak to Harry", big deal!

Jesus H Christ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 31, 2020
It may be absurd when viewing from the perspective of a Leprechaun. A Leprechaun is absurd when viewing from my perspective.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Not knowing anything about the circumstances I can't comment, but this is the key to the whole matter and why ignoring it is important. Let me give you this example:

Like an oft polled circa 50% of the British public I couldn't care less about royalty and ignore them, but one day found myself in a news based program hearing Harry giving an interview to a media reporter. He gave me a very negative impression of whining at length and unnecessarily, but regardless of that, in giving that interview many like me who would normally know nothing about the issue were informed, so potentially doubling the spread of the story to the 50% who couldn't care less.

That is an incredibly stupid thing to do, made even worse by Harry having had all the right education about the importance of being detached throughout his early life.

Much as I dislike the man, Charles has got this right, not commenting and refusing to speak to Harry about the issue. What can the media report about that, "Charles refused to speak to Harry", big deal!
did you watch the interview?
I watched in last Monday (9PM-11PM) and also GMB Piers Morgan on Monday morning prattling on and on, then Tuesday GMB. Morgan got up and walked out when Alex Beresford tried to answer back.
These programs are still on ITV hub.
Piers earns his money on GMB but he is not my cup of tea.

Advertisers