Brexit, for once some facts.

Jesus H Christ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 31, 2020
It doesn't matter how few when the deaths are entirely avoidable. That's why Denmark has sensibly dropped all use of the AZ.
Can’t see how stopping using a vaccine, with a risk factor which is minuscule by comparison to the disease it protects against, is sensible.

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
My analysis suggests that death rates , globally have been underestimated. I would think by about 40% to 50% . The figures are sitting at 3M dead , but I suspect the real figure is more like 4.5M. against that are the lives saved by reduced road traffic, road air pollution, reduced flu deaths, against that are the other things like delayed diagnosis ..so the overall profit and loss accounts are really difficult to figure out. What we do know is that a lot of things we viewed as essential are merely trappings s.
Yes, after the 08 financial crisis the message was "that we could not possibly survive another economic blow, that we'd have nothing left to fight it with". Now all of that seem a minor inconvenience. I like that about the pandemic. A healthy readjustment of perspective.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Can’t see how stopping using a vaccine, with a risk factor which is minuscule by comparison to the disease it protects against, is sensible.
It's entirely sensible when just as good alternative vaccines are available without that risk.

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
It would make sense if an abundance of vaccine was available. Which it isn’t. So it’s not sensible. It’s ridiculous.
Its perennial (and probably not altogether bad). We on the thread are like an eccentric (ageing) herd of yak, forever charging at each other, butting heads (and the fact that there arent any nubile female yaks about seem quite irrelevant)

• :D
Reactions: Woosh

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
It would make sense if an abundance of vaccine was available. Which it isn’t. So it’s not sensible. It’s ridiculous.
it's not ridiculous. Those who are in the at risk group of blood clots are given an alternative vaccine.
I was given the AZ at my first jab - I don't belong to the at risk group of blood clots, I don't need an alternative vaccine for my second jab but my daughter would.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
On the one hand you are arguing to keep the risks in perspective. Why not continue in that vein and recognise how small the Covid risk is for most of their population?

Only a very few of the Danes will catch Covid-19 and most of them will only have minimal symptoms or none at all. In view of that fact, to give all of them a vaccine that has a risk of death, albeit very small, is foolish, especially when their overall Covid death rate is only a quarter of ours and they are using other vaccines meanwhile.

• Disagree
Reactions: Jesus H Christ

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I suppose the world needs a strategy to get to herd immunity without killing too many [young] people.
Vaccines are probably the cheapest and fastest means to do that.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I suppose the world needs a strategy to get to herd immunity without killing too many [young] people.
Vaccines are probably the cheapest and fastest means to do that.
Fastest, but not cheapest.

The cheapest way is to stay calm, keep to a consistent policy and let the spread of mostly moderate to asymptomatic cases gain herd immunity. That does produce more deaths for a while, but those are overwhelmingly of the elderly or severely compromised who would be dying shortly anyway.

If it's more the occasional deaths of the young that is of concern, then the vaccine policy should be be reversed, applying it to the youngest age group first and then on up, as some Oriental countries are doing.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I think vaccines may be more effective against future variants compared to naturally acquired immunity.
If it's more the occasional deaths of the young that is of concern, then the vaccine policy should be be reversed, applying it to the youngest age group first and then on up, as some Oriental countries are doing.
Agreed.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc and oyster

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I think vaccines may be more effective against future variants compared to naturally acquired immunity.
Maybe, but the natural way works ok and costs nothing. It completely stopped the far, far worse pandemic of the black death which we no longer die of.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Maybe, but the natural way works ok and costs nothing. It completely stopped the far, far worse pandemic of the black death which we no longer die of.
people use a lot more energy and run far higher risk of damaging their organs fighting the real virus than preparing for it.
There was a guy on TV describing how he felt about covid: he had no symptoms for 5 days then his lungs seem to have been blown up.

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
The black death wouldn't go down too well with an overindulged the sun reading corry watching fat arsed smug quite thick mainly conservative electorate with delusions of grandeur. And it was, to be fair, a bit rough

• :D

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
I did refer to this all earlier . In terms of public health safety, ..vaccinate everyone and live with the collateral damage..Which is fine if you or your family are not one of the collaterally damaged . For me with my age profile, accepting any of the vaccines is a no brainer. Not so for my 30 year old daughter.
If it turns out that a slightly different formulation reduces the health impact on her age group, why not use it?. It is normal practice in vaccination science to continually upgrading formulations to maximise performance and minimise alternative effects.
The problem with your analysis is that you have ignored the evidence of age ..and possibly gender related effects.

• Agree

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
people use a lot more energy and run far higher risk of damaging their organs fighting the real virus than preparing for it.
We're going in circles, that doesn't apply to the vast majority who get only a mild outcome or none at all

There was a guy on TV describing how he felt about covid: he had no symptoms for 5 days then his lungs seem to have been blown up.
What did the rest of the 4.38 millions who've caught it have to say about it?

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
The Telegraph has become a Science Fiction "pulp"
"
Britain’s economic resurgence has caught the whole world by surprise
The numbers all point to blistering growth as the hit from Brexit continues to diminish each month

Well we have sold ourselves lots of Booze and junk
The Guardian. Say n’more.
You prefer the Telegraph?
Britain’s economic resurgence has caught the whole world by surprise
The numbers all point to blistering growth as the hit from Brexit continues to diminish each month

All true blue believers will believe
The Telegraph .say n'more :cool:

Advertisers